“Ideal B and B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Atherstone B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Ideal B and B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Excellent B and B. They were extremely helpful and we arrived very late but they stayed up to meet us. Very comfy room with own bathroom facilities. Lovely family run farm out in the countryside. Food excellent too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Staying at this B & B you could be anywhere in the UK, surrounding you is a beautuful tapestry of fields. The view from the bedroom window is of the imposing Hall on the hill and the lake. The owners are more than friendly, very willing to help, and you only have to ask, nothing is too much trouble for them. Need more milk? No problem, Need directions? No problem. Need ideas of where to go? No problem! Would highly reccomend and will definately be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My partner and I regularly stay in UK and foreign accommodation on mainly business and this has to be the worst establishment we have ever stayed in!

The 1st room we were given had NO heating so we were offered a 2 bar electric fire, then we were told we had been given the wrong room and had to move to a room that's possibly for good reason not featured on their website with a photo. Why we were moved was blamed on another guest!

The room we ended up in had woodchip covered sagging walls and ceilings which are described as "romantic" on their website - there's NOTHING romantic about woodchip! Two old single mattresses pushed together on a base which you daren't get close together on, a tv smaller than a laptop, stained chairs, threadbare carpet not joined and covered with a mat, coffee in a trinket box, loose tea bags, a metal clothes rail with no hangers, a broken shaver light with no bulb with the broken bits on the floor and off white towels that had never seen a tumble dryer and were possibly older than me.

Our complaints were met with excuses "I didn't know whether I had to empty your bin" and "you should have asked me for milk in your room!" "I didn't wash the wine glasses because they're not mine (they were)" etc.

Complaining is futile when you're met with Basil Fawlty style hotel management, so despite having booked three nights we left after two as we just couldn't stand the thought of another uncomfortable night with crummy facilities. It annoys me immensely when hoteliers treat you as though they are doing you a favour!

Had the place been up to any standard it would be somewhere we would have used quite regularly, somewhere else will now get our hard earned cash.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
AbbeyFarm, Owner at Abbey Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
Thank you for your comments.

- The original room the couple were given DOES have full central heating. Abbey Farm B&B is a Grade II-listed historic building, with very large rooms, and as such will take longer to warm up than a typical smaller room in a modern establishment. We do offer an extra fire should guests feel they require it.
- Due to an administrative error, the guests were offered the wrong room, and were swiftly moved by us. However, when they saw the new room and were unhappy, we offered to move them back (a move which was declined as the original room was not en suite - it had a private bathroom - something they had not noticed on booking, even though it is very clear) and so they decided to stay in the new room as it is en suite.
- As previously mentioned, Abbey Farm is a historic building dating back to the 1800s, and thus the walls and ceilings have character, and will never be as smooth as a modern hotel. Neither the walls or ceiling were 'sagging', this is part of the character of staying in a historic hotel.
- The room the guests stayed in is the family room, so the kingsize bed is made up of 2 single beds, and it also has a separate double bed in there, so plenty of choice for sleeping. As for the TV, it is never stated that you're going to get a huge top-of-the-range TV, and we have found it is perfectly suitable and have never had any complaints before. We have a large lounge with a television for guests' use.
- In our opinion, all efforts were made to please the guests, and were met with criticism at every turn. One morning, one of the guests complained at 9am that breakfast was late and she was late for work - I had been around since 6am and had already done breakfast for our other guests. We do not offer a wake-up call or knock on doors to announce breakfast.
- The guests' biggest complaint was about the heating. The central heating was on, they had an extra electric fire, yet the reason they were cold is because all windows were left wide open at all times. In fact, at 5.15am in the morning, all windows were still wide open - if you were 'freezing', surely you would close the windows?
- The guest was not charged for the third night, even though we were entitiled to charge.

Every effort is made on every occasion to make guests welcome, and their stay at Abbey farm B&B as pleasant and comfortable as possible. We address any issues as they arise, though to be honest, these are the first complaints we've ever had. Nothing could be done to please the couple in question.

As you can see from the other reviews, this was a 'unique' situation, and we look forward to welcoming many more happy guests to Abbey Farm B&B in the future.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Took a chance on where to stay, as my wife and I were visiting relatives in the area, and bringing the dog. Needn't have worried. Excellent welcome and service from very friendly owners, despite only staying for one night. Absolutely lovely surroundings, with medieval English views, yet easily-accessible being only half a mile from the A5. Nice breakfast and, take note, dog friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

Abbey Farm is everything you could wish for ... great house, great location, great sized rooms, comfy beds, good linen, clean, breakfast fab, host family unbelievably accommodating... The best thing for me was that I can not only see us staying there again, but organising family get togethers and spending time home away from home at great value for money.
This location is great for Birmingham, East Midlands, holiday, business, weekend away...
Fantastic !

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Had a wonderful time at the Abbey Farm. The owners are wonderful people and collected me at the rail station upon my arrival. As I arrived later in the day they offered me dinner with the family which was very gracious and excellent. The food was very high quality and abundant, more was offered if I cared for more. The room I was in, Sleigh Bed room was oversized and I had my own also huge bathroom. Havent had a perfect sleep like in that room for years.

The view across the monk's pond to the Dugdale castle on the hill was idyllic England. It is also beside the ruins of a medieval abbey and a church from the 1200s is in view from the living room window.

I visited Bosworth Field the next day and the owner drove me there and they took me to Tamworth rail station for my next day's train all at no charge.

A fabulous place, great hosts and conversation, and a perfect B&B experience.

I will be back for years to come.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Baddeck, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Brilliantly located close to Bosworth Battlefield. The owners & their delightful children were so welcoming & friendly. The rooms were HUGE! with all the amenities you could want for an overnight stay: hairdryer, shower & separate bath. Large fluffy towels. Tea/Coffee. TV. VIEWS to die for! Typically English Countryside yet a short drive to the dual carriageway to get to Hinkley, Leicester etc...& so quiet at night I slept so well...
Lovely pub near by for good English pub meal. Wonderful history all around.
highly recommended- I will be back!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Abbey Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!