“Great find” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Atherstone
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was impressed with the genuine attitude of the team serving in this Hotel. Very busy at times however the guys and girls were bubbly and looked after my wife and children supurbly. The room was very hot although a fan was available in the wardrobe. What a find.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival I was shown to my room which was in a separate part to the main building 4 doors down the road. The service was shocking no smiles no good mornings long waits for everything. Room shower with no power just a drizzle of water. Two single beds pushed together to make a double which kept coming apart.
The food was totally shocking expensive too for what you get. Drinks £3.00 for a pint of coke £4.20 a pint.
Toilets in main hotel where smelly and dirty.
I wouldn't ever stay again EVER
NEEDS SERIOUS STAFF TRAINING

• Stayed July 2012
Alton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

On arrival the reception and cafe looked great. We were offered an outside annex, do not be fooled. The annex is actually some apartments a few doors down from the hotel, and could do with a good spruce up. The carpets were worn and very frayed. It had a kitchen but no plates or dishes of any kind, the room for four only had two cups. The room was big but shabby.

As our room overlooked the high street we had the local night life to listen to until 1ish which was fine. Unfortunately the room next to us decided to have a party in their room once the pubs shut, they played music and were slamming doors and shouting around until 6:30 in the morning.

When i complained in the morning i was told it was a shame and i should of phoned, i stated there was no phones in the room or any numbers, he suggested I could of used directory enquiries. He didn't really care.

It may be cheap but I am afraid you get what you pay for, I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Do not get fobbed off with "annex"
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Castleford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here with my daughter on 23 June.

At the weekend rate of £55 bed and breakfast it represented good value. All staff were extremely courteous and helpful. There are some great seating areas, we particularly enjoyed a leisurely coffee in the library. We were already familiar with both the area and the hotel (although this was the first time we had a room there).

The room was not huge but was adequate with a good supply of tea and coffee, tv, en-suite and was very clean.

The only adverse comment I would make is that our room was directly above the front entrance
And the opening and closing door proved to be noisy until after the bar closed. I would therefore recommend asking for a room to the rear of the hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room to the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

A disappointment all round for this place. Admitedly, the refurb looks good, but that's about the only positive. Service is slow and bad mannered if you are served by the Italian chap. He repeatedly leaned across me, to serve my friend who was sitting next to me! In doing so, on one occasion he knocked her wine glass. It would have been easier for him to walk round me as we were at a square table with space surrounding our table. We sat down at 7:30 and were served our drinks 20 minutes later (they were NOT busy). Food arrived at 8:15 My vegetable risotti was Ok , but nothing to write home about. My partners escalope pork was dry, and served with potatoes only, despite saying on the menu that it came with vegetables. My friend's Penne pasta dish was cold, as was her husband's seafood spaghetti. We could hear diners at the next table repeatedly asking for cutlery. They got the same response as us, each time we made a request: "Ok"! We had coffees, paid and left. Despite telling the waiter that the food was cold, no replacement was offered. I felt sorry for the waitress- she was pleasant, and clearly embarrassed by the waiter's lack of any skill whatsoever. First time I've eaten somewhere and not left a tip!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This pub is based in the right in the middle of Atherstone and is in a good location in an alright town. The pub itself is a very nice old coach house and has some nice seating areas and decent beer. The service at the bar was good and prices where pretty reasonable.

Checking into the room was easy and we were next door which it clearly stated on the website. The room was what we expected for the price. Quite small with a smallish tv that had most freeview channels. Small bathroom with toilet and shower. The only slight drawback was the twin beds, although we weren't bothered as we were only staying one night for a function at the hotel. Basic, but clean and adequate.

The food at the function, which was in the pub, was ok and the service was nice and friendly. For a place to hold a function it seemed very good with nice rooms. No distraction from other drinkers and enough space.

The breakfast was a bit of a shambles. Everything was there and the food was nice, but the pub only had one person running around doing everything and didn't seem to have enough cutlery to go around. It was 8 pounds so expected better service. However I will say that they did apologise and take the breakfast from the bill when we pointed it out.

Overall a nice stay and what you would expect for the price apart from the service at breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The ignorance at reception was disgusting.manners doesn't cost anything,and as it was our first time away wit our kids we were hoping we would receive a kind welcome into our nearest country...2\10

• Stayed May 2012

Been to The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!