“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Panglao Island
Manila, Philippines
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

We definitely had a great time at the resort!
Food was delicious and price reasonable, service very efficient!
We stayed at Eskaya for 3 days, 2 nights.
The villa has a beautiful design, especially the bathroom (for being outdoors, it gives you a feeling of being in touch with nature).
The beach is so beautiful, we spent a few hours relaxing in the beach chairs.
Summarizing, the place is amazing, great staff, value for money and so romantic!
We'll come back for sure!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

i spent my 30th birthday here with my travel buddies. my friends from the nearby resort visited me to celebrate for my dinner treat. we ordered 5 viands and were given a complimentary meal. and after our dinner i was given a black forest cake with a candle, it was my birthday cake. so nice of them to give me something when i heard they dont give special surprises like this one. the food that ranges from 500-1000 wasnt that bad after all, it was like dining in posh restaurants in manila. the only problem is they have just one restaurant to choose from.
and here goes the other side of the good side. my buddies kept on taking note with minus and pluses for their ratings, mostly minuses because of lack of detail with the service. the sanitary plastic bags were not replaced anymore and toilet papers were not new, when the other was almost out. we got the balai infinity pool but wasnt that thoroughly cleaned. there were algae at the walls.
the bathroom amenities were crab tree and evelyn.
the wifi which you have to get from the front office, and get a wifi card to encode the passwords. given only 8 hours per card and per computer. so we asked again because we were using 2 computers. but they gave us anyway with a smile.
the free massage was just 30 minutes, but the spa was awesome. they made it to the best spas in 2010. and we asked if we could have our massage at our room, they replied they have to charge 10% for it. a bad one especially if your free massage is only head and back.
the waiters were not that attentive, lack of training maybe? but i told my buddies that it would be unfair if we rate them with what we have experienced in amanpulo, which they treat you like royalty. but they told me, with the premium price, and 300 usd lesser than amanpulo's cheapest casitas, they would still prefer amanpulo. well, i agree with this, you have amapulo's whole island and lots of great activities, compared here, you share the beach and its rocky not so clear blue waters. eskaya is a small beach resort, and we were asked by the security guard what balai we were checked in, we asked why, because a lot of trespassers check out their place.
i would suggest eskaya if you havent been to amanpulo. but for the price you are paying, just add a few hundreds of dollars and then you will experience heaven in palawan.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I don't see where the negative reviews are coming from, really.

Our Eskaya experience was perfect. The place was divine. Accommodations, luxe. Food, fantastic. Service, impeccable!

Thank you to Roni (the resident manager), Gerald (the waiter), and the drivers (Lino and the other kuya whose name we unfortunately didn't get!)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

My husband & I just came back from Eskaya Beach Resort and Spa. Amazing! Beautiful Eskaya! The resort gave us a sense of serenity & privacy which we seldom experience in other resorts. The staff are attentive and friendly. Although there are some not so good reviews of Eskaya lately, we still would want to go back to spend our second honeymoon! These little things happen anywhere, anyway. We love the place.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Stayed February 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
INTLtravelconcierge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

As a filipina with a european boyfriend.. I take pride of the beauty Philippines has to offer. While doing the research and reading about the "infamous" Eskaya I was embarassed to myself for even getting my boyrfriend this far in the Philippines to experience such insincerity, dismay, and disappointments.

Lets start our mini adventure :

I would give Manuel 5star, he is one of the nicest staff in the entire resort.

First meal at Lantawan : I ordered their fish meal, not only it tasted old --- it was too blunt and I could not comprehend how they can stomach to charge P850 for it which is about $18.88 US for me. I live in Beverly Hills and Im constantly out for lunch within the area. It is unheard of to have to pay almost $20 US meal and not be happy about it. This is where my embarrassment started. My boyfriend ordered chicken adobo, when they brought the mea to our table I looked at it and my bf had the same thought going through in his head... WHAT IS THAT ? Certainly did not look appetizing at all, it appeared to be the leftover from the past evening, it was so bony - thats all you can see on the bowl so we had to send it back. While I was eating my blunt meal, I did not realize that his adobo had taken 20 mins to be replaced.... You thought we would get a better portion- only to be surprised with halfway cooked adobo with very dry meat!
The overly intrusive manager then asked if he would like to get a different meal - mind you manager asked instead of offering a free meal - so then my boyfriend asked for a cheeseplate.
Finished that and asked for our bill.spanking Php P2200!!! Forty US dollars, thats astonishing! for a very inconsistent , mediocre meal !

I then asked the front desk for a quote : renting a motorbike, they qouted me Php P1350 for eight(8) hours. I met a guy outside the resort renting me his motorbike for a full day for P500... so now tell me am I missing something here or what?

I do not understand the logic of housekeeping partially replacing the towels. They would replace the main towel but not the face towel. I pay $500 US everydamn day in this resort I want new towels everyday! Which by the way are poor quality for what is considered luxury hotel.

I have to constantly ask for Internet card/paper code every eight hours when they specify to us prior to stay that internet is included in our package.

We did not pay $500 per night for a beautiful communal swimming pool. We wanted to at least have the chance to enjoy the beach, oh yeah we can't because their beach is very rocky!

OVERALL this place is overrated . they have the oddasity to charge $500 US +/night for the level of food, service and amenities you get at Eskaya resort!

I would never recommend this place to anyone, I would write articles about my embarrassing experience here and make sure that none of the people I know would get deceived as well.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

When you set yourself up as the Philippines second most expensive resort, you naturally raise the bar of expectation in the potential guests mind.
Upon check in we looked like we were not going to be disappointed as we were welcomed by the staff of the front desk bearing flower garlands. However from there things started falling apart.
1) The villa swimming pools are not private and ours countinually in the shade, so not worth the premium paid
2) The villa shower was broken
3) The in room jacuzzi was badly cracked meaning it could not be used
4) Limited in room hot water
5) Cheap "moving" toilet seat that did not fit bowl
6) Broken blinds
7) The standard service was fine but as soon as we moved away from everyday requests, like getting change for 500 Php, then gaps appeared
8) Cocktail hour is "one" designated drink with a bowl of peanuts
9) Main swimming pool has dangerous filtration system for children, I nearly had my stomach sucked in by it
10) Inconsistancy with housekeeping services:- towels changed, daily newspapers and leaves swept up all appear to be random acts
11) Staff need more training in general to give true 5 star service

Conclusion
Overall we left with a sense of disappointment, we had expected to come away with a certain "wow" factor and instead we left feeling that we had overpaid for our three night / four day break in a resort that could so easily have met our requirements given a little more thought and attention to detail.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Eskaya Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!