“Beautiful Place but some of the staff are lazy” 2 of 5 stars

Amorita Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Alona Beach | Barangay Tawala, 6340, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Panglao Island
Usedom Island, Germany
“Beautiful Place but some of the staff are lazy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

While out to dinner this weekend, my husband,and I had a bad customer service experience. I thought I would share it with the blog community as a means to help learn what your staff should not do when a customer/client is dissatisfied.

We are walk in guest in amorita, we stay in bohol for 20 nights we supposed to stay in amorita but they are fully booked. so me and my husband will just go there for eating especially in dinner time.our first time in amorita is okay , they serve us will and taking us good care and we are happy and satisfy. that is one of the reason we also come back to eat at their restaurant.

but the next back makes me dissatisfied. we set at the restaurant and one of the waiter came to us and give their menu and go, we are sitting and waiting for him as we can see him in the Bar cashier area. i called him and he come and get our orders, and go, we are waiting for long time for our drinks and foods we don't know what is the problem as we can see that it was already long time to wait because we always come back their and we know already how long the orders will be made. my husband told me to follow up, we are still waiting for the waiter , and again he is still in the bar talking with the cashier. i called him up gain and make follow up our orders. and at that time I asked his name and position and he said he is Leo the SUPERVISOR in the restaurant, i was not happy with his service so i just told me okay, and he go again, after a while we are still waiting for our foods yet he is still in the Bar flirting with the cashier and i need to call him again and again just to tell him our orders, !!! i was so disappointed with him, he cannot entertain us or even to asked if we are happy with his service, he can entertain to his so workers but why he cant entertain us? this is not good for a High class resort for this very low service,

yet i am still thankful that all the staff in this resort is not like him. if you wish to eat here you can asked for jeph to serve you, we recommend him.

try their grilled it was the best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Amoritamarketing, Manager at Amorita Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Samantha S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. It is unfortunate that your first dining experience had to be dampened by what you went through during your second time at Saffron Restaurant. Rest assured that we will look into this matter and manage it accordingly. Should you wish to discuss your stay in further detail, please send me an email at carissa.amorita@gmail.com. Our service philosophy is to provide consistent excellent service. During your next visit to Bohol, we hope that you'll consider staying with us and experience Amorita Resort as a whole.

Sincerely, Carissa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I do not have one bad word to say about my stay at amorita our room was beautiful the staff were amazing and could not have done anymore to make us feel at home and every little detail had been thought of from mosquito repellent in the room to gorgeous cakes every night at turn down time There is a lovely pool with a beautiful view and such easy access to the beach. we could not have wished for anymore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kara P,

We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that the other nightly treats were as delicious as the cakes. It will be such a pleasure to see you again soon!

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

First time in Bohol and got a recommendation from friends to stay at Amorita....they were absolutely right!.
Location is perfect above Alona Beach and the service is very good. Everyone was extremely helpful arranging tours for us, giving recommendations on restaurants and places to visits, getting trycicles, everything was easy and good!.
Eugene - the housekeeping manager - learnt that we were from Spain and he met us to practice his Spanish skills :).....and we got a nice goodbye gift too!.
All in all, I would recommend Amorita as a perfect place in beautiful Bohol.

Dear AnaLopezDiaz,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Amorita Resort. Our staff and team make it a point to assist our guests in any way possible. We have a set of tour and restaurant recommendations listed on our website which we hope will be helpful during your next visit. It was wonderful having you and your family stay with us. Hasta pronto!

Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

First time vacationing in Phillipines and was awed by the beautiful beach of Bohol. Amorita resort is situated conveniently next to the beach where you can head out for dolphin watching and snorkeling trips. There is also a stretch of food places along the beach to enjoy dinner.

Our stay at Amorita was initially pleasant. We were promptly received by the hotel staff at the Bohol ferry terminal and brought to the resort. Check-in was smooth and our friends and I were given adjacent rooms. As we have booked our city tour and dolphin watching trip much earlier, the hotel staff was able to ensure that everything was prepared for us. The tours were well-organised and everything was catered for.

Rooms were clean and adequately equiped (if you don't mind not having the iron). The infinity pool was excellent and is located next to the restaurant which serves good breakfast daily. We enjoyed our stay during the first few days and hoped that we could have more fun with the facilities available at the resort....

And so we booked for the KTV room for post dinner activities and we had made reservations in the afternoon. However, when we were back from dinner, it felt like no one knew that we actually booked the KTV room. The hotel staff then head to prepare the room for us and that made us wait for a good one hour at the restaurant. Luckily, we spent some time at the old table tennis court nearby but it was unbearable after awhile as its was very warm and no one came to inform us when the room would be ready. I start to feel that there is a lack of communication between the staff but hoped that it was just an one-off incident.

On the same day, we also booked our ferry tickets with the counter staff in the afternoon.The frontline staff also took a 30% surcharge required by the hotel in helping us to book the tickets and told us that it will be ready tomorrow. Given the good service provided by Amorita so far and the 30% surcharge, I certainly trust that Amorita would ensure that our tickets will be ready by the next day before our departure.

TO MY DISMAY, we were told on the next day just before we were about to head to the ferry terminal that they were not able to purchase the tickets for us as the terminal closed at 5pm yesterday!!! The frontline staff (another lady from yesterday) spoke in tagalog to our assistant who is going to bring us to the terminal and we couldnt make out what they were saying. It felt like they were trying to hide something from us, but later did we realised that they had decided to purchase the tickets at the terminal.

Honestly, it would have been a better choice to have informed us earlier that they failed to purchase the tickets so that we could have made better arrangements. Once again, they have showed that they have a lack of communication and transparency to their customers when things do not go smoothly. Unfortunately in the end, we were hit by traffic and were not able to purchase the tickets in time. We were clearly disappointed even though our Amorita assistant did try his best to help us purchase the tickets. The stay in Amorita would have been perfect if we didn't have to go through this. So I just hope that anyone who is going to stay there, to inform the staff MUCH MUCH earlier if you are planning anything with them and be sure that you are updated during the progress.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Amoritamarketing, Marketing at Amorita Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Adiprene,
We apologize for the inconvenience and hassle you experienced during your vacation. Our team is constantly going through training so that we can continue improving our service and efficiency. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Please feel free to send me an email at carissa.amorita@gmail.com if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail. We hope that you'll consider staying at Amorita when you visit Bohol again. Thank you very much!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

First trip back to the Philippines after almost three years and first time vacationing in Bohol. Therefore, a lot of thought was put in as far as deciding on the ideal resort to stay at with a baby in tow. I discovered Amorita online and researched it extensively after getting a No. 1 ranking on Trip Advisor.

I have thoroughly missed white sand and crystal blue, aquamarine waters after living in Vancouver, BC for a few years now. Being originally from the Philippines and having worked on cruise ships for many years, I was accustomed to the sun, beaches & the ocean. I chose an ocean villa so that the first thing I would see when I wake up is... the ocean. I also chose a 3-night package which included a country side tour of Bohol, daily buffet breakfast , two one-hour massage, pick-up from Tagbilaran airport and land transfer to & fro hotel. I added a 4th night and for approx. $1,500.00, we got the best room and all the perks! What a great deal!
Transfer from the airport was very comfortable. They didn’t have us sharing the van with other guests. The driver right away mentioned that if we needed access to the internet, the van has wi-fi (!). They had chilled bottled water and cold wash cloths at the ready for us. It was atleast 35F when we arrived and it was going to get hotter!
Staff was very welcoming on arrival and also started making arrangements for when we would like to schedule the tour and the massages. Guaranteed check-in time is 2PM. We arrived around noontime. Don’t ever expect getting into your room early. They only have less than 40 rooms and they are always fully booked. The guests will all tend to wait to the last minute check-out. So expect to wait for your room if you arrive before 2PM. We were ushered into the Saffron restaurant where we had lunch while we wait for our room.

Our vacation started the moment we sat in the restaurant. Although we were sweating over the heat , the view from the restaurant was spectacular and right away made us just think of all the good things ahead of us. Infinity pool and over beyond the ocean and the beach. Amorita is situated on a cliff at the edge Alona Beach. It does give a sense of exclusivity because you cannot enter the resort from the beach unless you are a guest or dining at the Saffron restaurant. The guards are always alert to non-patrons.

The Ocean Villa, our room for the next 4 days was simply .... divine. You have your own plunge pool which my husband and my daughter took advantage of within minutes of walking into our room. You have a front yard with lounge chairs if you want to sunbathe in private. We loved loved loved the space and the extra large king bed. The hotel made all necessary provisions for an infant, with a playpen already set up, a baby tub and even feeding bottle sanitizers. We didn’t even have to ask for these. The photos of the ocean villa in Amorita’s website does not give justice to the room and even the photos I’m posting. It’s beautifully designed and laid out. Loved the outdoor bathroom. You have a nice deck to dine out and on nights when our daughter was misbehaving and didn’t want to sit still on her high chair, we had to bring the food into our room. There is enough space to fit the dining table from outside inside.

Mosquitoes are something to be concerned about because they can be carriers of the virus dengue. The resort provides protection from mosquito bites by strategically positioning jars of essential oils around the hotel. They are also available in the rooms and as added protection, there are also electric plug-ins. There was one night however, where the mosquitoes were quite prolific and managed to get into the room every chance they see the doors opening. We had plug-ins everywhere plus we also lathered ourselves with anti-mosquito bite lotion before we went to sleep.

Bohol has so much to offer. This is my husband’s new favorite place in the world and he promised to come back to do more snorkelling. Sunrise was before 5am. You can sense the island awake so early. We just loved walking the grounds of the resort at this time when the air is just cool the skin. It’s a lovely sight watching from the cliff as the fisherman and boatmen ready their outriggers to head out to the sea either to fish or take divers out.
I love to eat so Saffron restaurant became my hive. Food is so good here that I’ve included it my list of the best restaurants I’ve dined at in the WORLD! Chef Rafae, thank you for some really memorable meals. My husband is not big fan of Filipino food but you have made him a convert. Your take on the‘kinilaw’ , the ‘sinanglay’, the blue marlin, and many other dishes were just delicious. The Saffron servers, Rob, Michael, every single staff were all wonderful especially to our daughter. To the lifeguard Ryan at the pool, your effort in ensuring we were safe with an infant in the pool was not overlooked. We were always aware of his presence whenever we took our daughter swimming.

The General Manager James is GM extraordinaire! He was everywhere , all the time! Thanks for always checking up on us and ensuring we were enjoying our stay.

Finally... one person I would like to thank... Mr. Ortega (I hope I got his name right). One afternoon, while my husband and daughter were playing in the beach just at the foot of the resort, a young Filipino man came over to chat my husband up. Mr. Ortega was the guard stationed at the entrance of the resort. My husband noticed Mr. Ortega inched closed to him and just hovered around appearing to listen to what this man was saying to my husband. We think he just wanted to make sure that we were not being taken advantage off. The young Filipino man turned out to be harmless. He was just really eager to talk to fellow tourists like us. Thank you Mr. Ortega for looking out for our safety.

And... thank you Amorita for a memorable vacation.

Dear MommyonJune10th,
We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that the baby amenities available were also useful. On your next visit, we'd be happy to offer our baby sitting services so that you and your husband can enjoy scuba diving or snorkeling near Balicasag Island. (Be sure to bring a camera that can work underwater because the corals and fishes are definitely worth capturing on your digital camera.) We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you!

München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I am a Tourguide and heavaly relying on the partnerhotels to make my (and their) guests feel home away from home. The staff at Amorita Resort did an outstanding job in providing exactly that - a hasselfree stay in this beautiful place and professional service. The location and Designs are beautiful. My guests loved the food. The menue had so much to offer - with a different twist and taste then the ordinary menues you find across the island. I took the chance to hit the divesites on Balicasag Island and had a blast. The standardrooms have beautiful designtouches. The Bungalows in the Garden are spacious and if I cane come back for a private stay I will choose to stay there! I was surprised to read some very poor reviews on tripadvisor - but if you are the kind of person who cannot relax and makes vacations to find the one hair in the soup - then better stay home! Nothing can be ever perfect - and if it is - it will be a boring place... This is the Philippines after all - a country that surprises you around every corner, with the friendliest population around. Come to Amorita, relax and be surprised... it's your vacation after all!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BAT09,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are very pleased to hear that you and your friends enjoyed staying at the resort and exploring Bohol. It is our wish that you and your friends will be visiting the Philippines again soon.

Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have heard and read very nice things about this hotel but unfortunately it is very difficult to make a reservation. To book online you need a Paypal account (which I don't have and have no interest in getting) and when I instead tried to contact their reservation office they do not answer emails.

This has happened twice now over the last two months so I have given up now. The first time we went to Atmosphere Hotel on Negros Island instead and in May we are going to Boracay instead.

Dear dreyfus111,
We try our very best to make the entire vacation experience hassle-free for all our guests. Currently, we find that working with Paypal helps to protect both parties from any unforeseen mishaps. Guests who have encountered difficulties completing their online booking often get in touch with one of our Reservations Officers or connect with us through social media. We apologize for having gone through a tiresome booking process. We will be meeting with Paypal's tech support to discuss how we can make the booking and payment process less of an inconvenience. Please feel free to send me an email at carissa.amorita@gmail.com should you wish to discuss this matter in further detail. Thank you.

Sincerely, Carissa

Been to Amorita Resort? Share your experiences!