“Relaxing but too big an operation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bohol Bee Farm

You added Bohol Bee Farm to your Saves list
Bohol Bee Farm
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Dao, Dauis | Panglao Island, 6340, Philippines   |
Ranked #8 of 62 Panglao Island B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Relaxing but too big an operation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a good time there, the place is quiet, the rooms (room in front of the jacuzzi) are nice and big. The view from the restaurant is really nice and the deck by the sea is unique. I didn't tought the food was amazing, some nice dishes, some less nice. If you don't have your own transportation it could be a problem
However this place is starting to be very commercial: they are no more bee but there is a huge shop selling tons of products under the bee farm brand.
My biggest disappointment was the breakfast: it's a buffet and you don't expect a buffet in this kind of place... The food was most days cold and very filippino oriented with little variety. I guess too many room now to do something else than a buffet, a shame!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After sleeping one night in a cheap (but very difficult to sleep in) budget hostel somewhere in Panglao, we decided to pack our bags and check in Bohol Bee Farm.

Bohol bee farm was one of the first stops we did in our first day tour around Bohol. We were lucky that they had a vacant suite for 2 nights available that day because it was a weekend. They had a driver pick us up at the very next morning.

The place was just Paradise. It is a little bit out of the way but there were a lot of things to see in the farm.

They serve food which they grow in their farm. And ice cream with bizarre flavors but yummy nonetheless. Everything looks healthy and organic. The feel was simply very rustic and charming.

Their dining hall was sitting on top of a 2 storey cliff, overlooking the ocean. There was no sandy beaches but you can go down on some carved rocky stairs and stand or swim near the shallow waters. They also offer snorkeling or even scuba diving for beginners.

They also have a "hilot" hut. It's a local massage that will make you feel even more relaxed if living near the seaside, swimming with the fishes and dining on freshly harvested and organic dishes is not enough.

The room/suite itself was homey. Wood cottages with old handcrafted furniture inside. The decor is very simple. Don't expect hotel amenities though. It would be like living in a house in the rural areas of the Philippines. There were a little trail of ants in one part of our suite. The TV also is a bit on the old side (like 14" inch static ridden cable tv) but it is slightly functional. The smell of the bedspreads were a bit musty. I guess its because the place is in the middle of a lot of trees and soil so it's humid and smells earthy. The only real problem would are the Mosquitos. They provide anti mosquito spray but better bring your own.

Overall, it was an experience that I will definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for an authentic rustic and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

+ beautiful rooms, with sea view
+ great food for dinner, try the salads with flowers!
+ nice place to sunbathe at the sea
+ quiet, not on the tourist beach
+ nice shop with organic products, including delicious icecream tastes
+ great spa for ok prices

- breakfast is made of the left overs of dinner?
- no option to book scooters/ cars outside (for lower price than provided at the bee farm)

• Stayed December 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have just spent five very relaxing days at the Bee Farm in the Daius seaview room and loved every minute of it.

This is thankfully a world away from “5 Star” polished generic beach resorts & hotels that has become the norm around the world. It is very down to earth, one might say organic. It certainly has it’s own unique character. So if you want the type of “luxury” huge resort with all the standard amenities, you should research this a bit more carefully before you book.

For us though, it was a delight. Our 2 year old boy was never bored, the little outdoor swimming pools being a perfect size for him to hone his swimming skills. Lots of wildlife to look at, herbs to smell, staff to play with.

One of our takeouts was how long & well we slept.

Pros
Ethical.
Very quiet & relaxing.
Wonderful, natural atmosphere.
Very large room with large bathroom & balcony overlooking the sea. Sleeps 3 easily.
Great organic food. Super healthy.
Delicious home made ice cream.
Superb, attentive, friendly staff.
Excellent spas. Lovely with the sound of the sea beneath you & comfy massage beds.
Good breakfast with interesting, rather chocolaty coffee.
The sea deck with direct access to a sandy bottomed sea bed.
More herbs than you’ve ever seen in your life.
Fantastic shop filled with brilliant local products.

Cons
A bit out the way.
No access to a sandy beach.
Menu can get a limiting after a while.
Gets busy sometimes with restaurant guests but the eating areas are huge.

Finally a huge thank you to all the staff. So friendly, so polite, so attentive.

Recommended!

Room Tip: Dauis is on the first floor, away from the restaurant & next to the mini pools & jacuzzi. Ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I visited the Bee farm for the first time in Nov 2011 with my boyfriend after a friend recommended it. It was absolutely wonderful. Our room was upgraded to a bee hut which was quite near the restaurant and beauty area. The hut felt very natural and was authentic in the sense that we had some lizards relaxing with us in the evening, this is typical of rural resorts in Asia but if you don't like wildlife, you might want to stay in one of the hotel rooms instead.
I returned to the bee farm in Feb 2012 with my mum and the staff remembered me and made our stay very comfortable.
The bee farm tour is great value and the food in the restaurant is very tasty! I had a few massages as hilot and they were excellent, the massage hut overlooks the sea and is perfectly tranquil.
On both visits, I went diving with the resident dive master who provided excellent equipment and was very knowledgeable about the marine sanctuary so we learned a lot on the trip.

I would return to this hotel again and again, and I suggest you try it to!

• Stayed February 2012
cebu city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

It took me a while to write this review coz I was a bit disappointed.

The moment they picked us up at the port, I was impressed. If only one slight incident didn't happen, this is an awesome place.

We got the low peak package online. It was cheap and includes: pick up and send off to the port/airport, full board meals, room, and countryside tour with guide.

I love the rugged yet enchanting place. It's very outdoor-sy. From the entrance to the location of the buildings. The exterior of the buildings might not impress or look much to some, but it adds charm. Especially the new rooms. Our room was very nice, very spacious and has a nice view of the sea and the pool deck.

I love the food!!! Of course I'd love the food. Organic and healthy and well prepared. I don't mind the ants in the dining area, however huge they are. And OMG the ice cream! So creamy!

The tour of the property was very educational. Kudos to their advocacy of being green and sustainable.

Our 1st guide, (I forgot his name, bless his soul), was very polite and informative and very accommodating. Second guide was very quiet, though (older guy).

We added a Panglao tour, which brought us to the Hinagdanan Cave and Alona Beach. It was expensive in my opinion. We also wanted to go to EAT Danao, but it's very expensive to go there from the Bee Farm for the Farm is so out of the way.

We really had a great time. EXCEPT for one thing. The housekeeping staff entered our room without our permission. I know staff has duplicates of the room keys, but they should ask/inform us if they're gonna clean our room. I wanted to make a complaint to the management but because I had such a good time I forgot about it.

And then we got back to Cebu City, my husband discovered that he lost some dollars. I told him maybe he just miscounted. But no, even the hidden bills of foreign currencies were missing. He was really frustrated to discover that he got robbed. He didn't use any bills during our stay in Bohol (but I did). As I remember, my husband left his wallet on the bedside table along with our other things, and they didn't have a safe. We spent most our day that day at the pool, the wallet's safety completely forgotten. I think they cleaned our room that day without our permission again. We were too complacent. I placed too much trust on the staff. So disappointing.

I reported this to them through email. Last time I heard from them is that they are still investigating. I don't know how they're gonna do that since I didn't notice any cameras. The amount doesn't matter. I just hope they do something about the security and the trustworthiness of their staff.

Room Tip: No safe inside the room, so be watchful of your valuables.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Antipolo City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Still have the Bohol Bee Farm in my mind!!! :-)

Prior to going to bohol, i've been reading blogs and reviews for more than 2 months on where best to stay in Bohol and my researchs was all worth it.

We stayed in this beautiful place for two nights last December 16 to 18, 2012. Two (2) kids and two (2) adult.

We we're so tired coming from a country tour and is already looking forward for some rest going to Bohol Bee Farm. On our way to the place you will already know that their place is peaceful since they are far from the noise of the city.

Upon coming to their place there are already staff in the welcome area ready to assist any customer coming. We we're immediately asisted in carrying our luggages and was directed to their office for our accommodation we're we are supposed to fill up some forms but our kids was so tired and they are already in a bad mood and no longer wants to wait in the office, the staff was very understanding and instead of having me fill those forms she just said that I can fill it up any time convenient for us. Two thumbs up!!!

We proceeded to our room but apparently the room was not ready yet this is because we got a room upgrade for FREE!!!!! We we're given the Baclayon room instead of just a Garden Bungalow which I booked. Awesome really!!! The room we got has a lobby with the magnificent view of the swimming pool and the see. Clap clap clap...

We just rest for a while and decided to take a swim since our kids we're so eager to go to the pool. I guess they cant help the view from our room.

After taking a quick swim we decided to take our dinner so we can sleep early in preparation for our itinerary the next day.

For the dinner we we're told that their specialty was the seafood platter which is also what i read in blogs and review but upon seeing the menu we thought that it might be too much for just two (2) adult since we dont eat that much thus we decided to take spareribs and chicken something (sorry forgot the name of the menu). While waiting for our food a complimentary appetizers if provided, a delicious and freshly baked bread with pesto and mango spreads along with cassava chips and green tomate with parmessan cheese (the bread was freshly baked as in still hot when it was served to us) True to their statement their foods are indeed organic and has a lot of herbs and spices :-) so if you are not used to those kind of food you might not be able to appreciate it, which happens to us. For dessert of course we tried their ice cream (malunggay and mango) and it was delicous, the ice cream was very creamy and you will not even taste the malunggay. By the way, view from their restaurant was spectacular too.

The following morning we had our complimentary buffet breakfast and we already expected the same type of foods (herbs and spices :-)). Their seafood pasta was good, not that much herb I guess and their breads are always baked fresh. Again, view in the restaurant was beautiful. We then proceeded to our tour in PINR (will be writing a separate review for it :-))

For dinner that day since we already have a taste of their main courses (more herbs and spices) we decided to try their pizza and pasta (we ordered meat pizza and seafood lasagna) and it was very very good. The pizza crust is thinly and freshly baked I can already smell it from the kitchen while the seafood lasagna is marvelous.

The following day is our check out date, we woke up early took our breakfast so we can still explore the place and we we're surprise that they have a place where you can enjoy the seaside.

We will definetly go back to this place and when we does I will ensure that we will just stay in Bohol Bee Farm with no other itinerary so we can maximize and explore the place for sure they still have a lot to offer.

Room Tip: If you have the budget try the rooms where you will have the view (baclayon, loboc, danao, etc...)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bohol Bee Farm? Share your experiences!