“Tolerable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 41 hotels in Panglao Island
New York City, New York
“Tolerable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I can only speak to the bungalow rooms as this is where we managed to find a room for one night. The bungalows are steps from the beach and towards the back of the hotel and fine for two to three people. The hotel offered an extra "bed", which was placed on the floor with no supporting bed frame.

The room itself is OK. Nothing to write home about and provides just enough room to move around. The bathroom could use some work. It seemed as if the bathroom was created as an afterthought by the crew during construction...an "Oh right, we forgot about that" moment. It was not completely clean and the shower basically spilled out into the main floor causing a rather wet bathroom all around.

The staff was helpful when prompted and addressed our questions. I will agree with other reviewers' comments concerning the buffet breakfast. This was probably the worst food I had during my entire stay in Bohol and I highly suggest to look into other options.

The saving grace of the hotel was clearly its location. You couldn't have asked for a better placement on the beach for the price. I would cautiously recommend staying here if you're on a budget but don't want to sacrifice beach time. However, there are better options for the price next door.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bungalows
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

literally, everyone's quite attentive and helpful here except for the breakfast crew. We waited for 30 min before they refilled the empty trays---there was not a single item in the trays except for the spoonful of fried rice on one. Nobody came to us and when we asked one of the guys where the food is, he said we have to wait a bit while they were cooking. This table next to ours ordered from the menu and got served in 15 mins. They also got served coffee while waiting.
we did not.
we waited a little longer and 20 mins later, bacon came out of the kitchen, followed by fried eggs, then hotdogs.
we self-served ourselves, went to the counter and asked for forks and knives while the other table next to us got their 2nd serving of coffee and orange juice.
thank you.
I'm glad we only stayed for a day here or the cracks showing would be bigger?
I hope not.

All in all, not bad compared to the experience at The Palms Boracay or Flushing Meadows Bohol during this island hopping tour.

This trip was so much different than that wonderful experience we had 2 years ago at The Bee Farm, which was excellent at that time.

Room Tip: ask for a room next to the lobby---very new, very clean and spacious and you wont need to get out of...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Voted recently by Travel + Leisure magazine as one of the world's best secret beaches, Panglao beach in Bohol (Central Philippines) is fast becoming secret no more. Just an hour or so by plane from Manila, Panglao can be reached from Tagbilaran's tiny local airport by all modes of land transportation.

Once you reach Panglao island, you'll have a choice of scores of hotels and resorts that cater to the rich and famous - and the budget tourists (like me and my friends) alike. Hey, it's the same stretch of wonderful beach so if we can save on accommodations, why not?

There are resorts that don't accept guests without the recommendation of some rich socialite or members of the moneyed elite that make up the top stratum of Philippine society - and they only quote in USD! So we chose the one that is just next door to these exclusive resorts that cater to our kind of tourists.

Alona Kew Resort was a lucky choice!

It's a small resort/hotel so don't expect ala Shangri La Mactan ambiance. What I liked best was that the bed - and the pillows - were super comfortable! I could have gone on sleeping on that comfy bed for days, but I had to drag myself to the beach, or go dolphin watching, etc. I wanted to stuff one of the pillows into my small travel bag to take home - but it won't fit! Of course, I'll offer to pay if they'll accept...

I also liked the the toiletries they provided which were set in this cute little bamboo tray that I also wanted to take home (but didn't of course). The towels were also soft and plump, and they would arrange them in figures like a flower or shell, so you always find something different on top of your made up bed.

And on the second floor there was a wide expanse of nice wooden floor that one can use to do yoga or some other floor exercise.

Best of all, the resort is just a few steps from the beach where we hired bancas to take us dolphin watching before sunrise (cost is around USD 5 each for a group of 8 pax), or to nearby Balicasag island for snorkeling. For someone who is not really a beach person (which is ironic since I live in a country made up of thousands of islands!), I really had a great time!

And then of course, there are the other attractions of Bohol - the chocolate hills, the tarsier, the Loboc river and the world-renowed Loboc children's choir, etc. - to explore! (subject of future reviews)

Of course, if you want to save some more, Alona Kew is neighbors with a number of budget inns and hostels that you can reach by foot. And the beach is still a stone-throw's away!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Well situated right by the beach, suite rooms are a little small but quaint little bungalows. Good value and good friendly service. The pool area was clean and well kept. Overall was a good experience.

Room Tip: If you are looking for clean, good basic rooms, the bungalows are good value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Quezon City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed in this hotel overnight with my business partners last March 21 to March 22. We got three de luxe rooms. All rooms are big and comfortable. It was my second stay in the hotel, the first time was last year, and chose the garden villa unit.

the hotel is okay since it in within walking distance to the beach. they also have a pool, which was newly cleaned, compared to the last time i saw and used it. buffet breakfast though was the same as last year, filling but not that exciting. the room rate is inclusive of breakfast.

Room Tip: choose the garden villa, facing the pool
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Had a bad experienced while staying in this hotel, we went here as a family, we stayed for 2nights without hair dryer, they will not give extra bathroom tissue, shampoo, unless u will ask...cold/hot water not working very well...the floor is full of dust, pillow smells stinks (very expensive room/hotel )we pay almost 30k for 2rooms for 2nights.They have a rude staff specially their receptionist, she doesn't know how to greet and smile with the guest. My total rating is BIG ZERO...we'll never come back here again on this hotel....and tell my friends to find "room for rent" more cheaper than to go to hotel specially ALONA KEW RESORT.

Room Tip: don't go on alona kew hotel, staff are rude specially the receptionist ( unprofessional ) they n...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hoboken, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I would've written a stellar review of this beach resort for its great location, great staff, and awesome suites! Until....they moved us to a bungalow on our last night. The room we had was reserved for other guests on our last night so we moved. This wasn't their fault. We extended our stay 2 extra nights because we were enjoying Alona Beach so much. But I have to say that we paid 5000 Pesos for a suite. When we were moved to a beach bungalow room, the price only decreased by 20% to 4100 Pesos per night. The downgrade, quality-wise, was about 80% because the bungalow rooms were digusting. The mattress was only a foam pad. The sheets were thinner than in the suites. AND the bathroom was horrid. I was digusted. So disgusted that when bathing my son on our last day, I forgot my bracelet because I was too skeeved out to go back into the bathroom to do a last round check.

I honestly couldn't sleep on our last night because I was too grossed out by the bathroom and the possible bugs, not to mention, we were right on the beach and it was loud. If you can stay at a suite at Alona Kew resort, do it! Beautiful rooms, great service, and though other reviewers complained about the breakfast, I liked it. It's a full Filipino breakfast. And sometimes they have pan de sal which is so delicious here. But if the only option is the bungalow or standard room. DON'T DO IT!

Room Tip: Come here if you get a suite. Don't bother because it isn't worth it if the only option is a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alona Kew White Beach Resort? Share your experiences!