“Everything is absolutely perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Amarela Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Barangay Libaong, 6340, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Panglao Island
Manila
“Everything is absolutely perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Amarela was our second choice for our Bohol getaway this year. The first choice was somewhere in Alona Beach. But I AM SO GLAD that we chose this quaint resort - i knew we made the right choice. Here are my reviews for the following points based on our experience:

1. Airport Transfer Service - very prompt. Our plane was supposed to arrive at 6:55am in Tagbilaran. But during that time, there was a terrible storm in Manila so i advised our travel agency that our flight might be delayed. Nevertheless, the driver was there on time, ready to pick us up.

2. Resort and location - clean, quaint, quiet, a bit secluded (but if you want total relaxation, then this is the place for you), homey. Reminds me of Sonya's Garden - only with a beachfront. It is in Libaong, around 20 minutes away from Alona. There's no night life here but the view at night (with all the fireflies and stars) is fantastic. You can stay at the infinity pool while sipping your Amarela cocktail or just stargaze and be in awe of this place. The rooms are clean, with your own balcony for viewing. The view was great from each room because its location is elevated so you see the sea and the entire resort from your room.

3. Staff and service - so far, i have never encountered such warm, friendly, genuine and accommodating services better than Amarela's. I believe it is the natural gentleness and hospitality of Boholanos that make up for it, as what is shared by Amarela's owner. The people here will go an extra mile to meet your needs, even if it means reheating your left-over food the night before.

4. Food - When i saw the menu, yes, the prices are quite higher than what you would expect. But actually, one serving is already good for 2 persons. And yes, the food takes time to cook but very well worth it (especially the herbed chicken which we waited for 45 minutes - it was so good we wanted to order a second helping and take it to manila). This applies to main course/appetizers. And also, the prices include tax and service charge already.

5. Beach - now, I havent been to Boracay nor to Alona Beach. Some say Alona Beach is the Bohol's version of Boracay. For Amarela, I do not know what their beach is called but it also has a nice stretch of beach with powdery white sand. And it's safe for kids too because the beach's depth is gradual. The only concern is the seaweeds along the shore (which is caused by nature and are being cleaned up every morning). They also have a nearby sanctuary for those who want to snorkel. And before I forgot - use of kayaks, banca, snorkel gear is free! You can just hire a guide to be with you in the sanctuary for only P150.

Other plus points are: clinic, in-house boutique, sports facility (volleyball, table tennis), art gallery, dvd library and tons and tons of books that you can borrow for free. For the money that we paid, we are so totally satisfied. In fact, we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

A friend and I stayed here for a week.

The hotel is very nice and the restaurant and pool are wonderful. Getting around outside of the hotel is pricey. A taxi to town is around 500php. Since I live in Manila, this was a hard pill to swallow LOL

The hotel arranged tours and taxis for us. They were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel staff provided friendly service and were very pleasant.

The hotel restaurant had excellent food. One night we had fresh crab. Wonderful! We drank them dry of wine and had to run into town to get more. They even let us sit in the restaurant with our own wine and drink it there.

The beach was VERY disappointing as you have a lot of debris. Walking into the water entails strategically dodging sea urchins, starfish, and seaweed. I'm surprised they don't do more to try to clean it up. We walked up and down the beach hoping to find a clean part of the beach to no avail. Even the beaches along the main drag in town are covered with debris.

The main drag in town is only a 15 minute (500php) taxi away. There's a short strip of restaurants and bars on the beach. You can slowly walk along the main strip in about 10 minutes.

The internet at the hotel was sporadic at best. It was hit or miss. They seemed to have a lot of problems keeping it up and running. Understandable since you are on a small island in an idyllic setting!! Staff was very helpful in trying to help get it up and running (every day).

Rooms are very nice! You have a balcony and plenty of room. The bathrooms are roomy too. There is also a dvd player for movies and they have a library of books/movies you can borrow.

A week in Bohol (I felt) was very long. We did the tours and saw, what we felt was, everything in 3 days. I prefer to have a beach where I can walk into the water and more of a variety of entertainment options. However, this place is wonderful if you are looking to really get away from it all.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I was absolutely impressed by the stunning features of the Amarela Hotel.

I planned for a romantic and relaxing honeymoon with my Polish wife to the Philippines. Knowing that this will be the first time my European wife to see my country, I made sure that I picked the right resorts to show the best of the Philippines. And the Amarela resort in Panglao Bohol did not fail me. Absolutely briliant from the start to the end of our stay, which made it difficult to leave.

Our room is exactly what we have envisage - clean, quiet, elegant in style, and has a stunning view of the sea. What set this resort apart from the rest is they offered home made soaps and shampoo made from natural ingredients like honey and mints that is truly refreshing when used after a long day in the sun. Your supply will never go low as the ever attentive and hospitable staff replenish them everyday.

The pool is our favorite place apart from the private beach in Amarela. We felt truly refreshed and relaxed every dip in the waters. Clean and fresh, no harmful chemicals in the water - it felt like fresh enough to drink which I did accidentally because I am not a good swimmer. We never felt that the pool or beach crowded even many guests were staying in the resort. Probably because the resort offers many activities like city tours or whale shark watching that guests seldom meet each other at any one time. It really felt like our very own private resort. Just exactly what my wife is looking for - a relaxing quiet and romantic honeymoon. Do not get us wrong, we enjoyed the energetic Boracay experience as well, as we were in Boracay on our first leg of our journey. But in Amarela, tranquility is the theme of this resort. Just the place to recharge after our late nights in Boracay.

The food was as excellent as the views of Bohol. Mind you, we stayed for eight days so I thought we will get fed up of the menu. Well, I was proven wrong. They have different specials of the day apart from the extensive menu and you may request anything on top of your head. Believe me, I tried everything from a particular seafood I like to eat to a native pastry which I like for my wife to try. And the staff delivered all our requests and more. One time, my wife and I phoned the resort from the beach to have lunch and the staff brought down tables and chairs which we never had expected as we were happy to sit on the beach chairs. You will know that this is not an easy task to accomplish as the beach is a few steps down the resort. Well, just to prove that the staff will do everything to make you comfortable.

The beach is the best. I would say better than Boracay as my wife and I got to swim, pick up star fishes (and place them back), found sea urchin, collect shells, meet the local fishermen and witness their days catch, found a baby jellyfish, white crabs, sea cucumber and just enjoyed the beach that is free from rocks and seaweeds. The beach water is crystal clear and just fine white sand as far as you can walk. No crowd by the way. It was like we were in our own island, imagine that...By the way, we left our expensive cameras while we strolled on the beach for hours and never worry because the resort security gave us an assurance that nothing bad will happen to our personal belongings.

What else can I say...this is truly the best of Philippine Hospitality. Proud to show my wife my country. By the way, after our holiday she said she is willing to live in the Philippines for good. Amarela, you spoiled my wife so well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We stayed at Amarela for the last night of our Panglao trip. I booked Amarela based on a few comments from friends and reviews online, since I liked romantic and homey the look of the place.
The rooms were lovely, and I am guessing the owners are very particular with how they live - there was a provision for everything and anything. Since I travelled with the husby, three daughters ages 10, 9, and 3 plus the nanny we requested for an adjoining room. At first they said we would have to wait a few hours to get the adjoining room due to a wedding happening the next day. Later on they were able to transfer us ASAP. I kind of had to talk to the room boy to hasten the transfer since the front desk kept giving me excuses.
The beach front was beautiful and private, the size was just right and my kids really enjoyed playing in the powdery white beach. If only for this post card perfect beach, our stay here was so worth it.They had a pool with a lifeguard, which the kids loved as well.
FOOD: For lunch we at at the cabana near the pool. Food prices were like Manila prices. As for the taste - it was ok, but nothing remarkable. But don't take my advise, my husband is a NY trained chef, so our excitement level for food is rather high.
In the evening we had dinner at the ground floor resto, as usual my husband ordered practically the whole menu. Food quality was alright, but not quite memorable. If you want to leave the resort to eat out, you can pay a hotel van (PhP500 or USD10) to take you to the local restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Walnut, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

One of our best stop. It is very relaxing the room and food are great. The staff are really nice, helpful and friendly. This is the place to stop if you are looking to relax.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

it's worth the price. the food is great. staff are very friendly and handled our booking/requests quite well. i love the room and the bathroom's real clean and nice. the dvd collection which was free to borrow was a treat as well. the infinity pool's not quite infinity looking but it was still a good pool, and the beach was heavenly as well. views from the hotel's top floor are breathtaking. everything looks just as how you see it in their website-- nice, nice, nice! perfect place to unwind.

Room Tip: call the hotel