“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 65 Panglao Island B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Finding this gem was a result of a last-minute booking. All of the hotels that I called up were fully-booked because of the CNY and I luckily stumbled upon this B&B on Agoda. My primary reason for choosing this place was the very good reviews that I read on that site; which is why I'm surprised that there are no TA reviews for this property.

Anyway, on to the detailed review.

BOOKING/RESERVATION
I nearly booked via Agoda but I decided to do more research on the place. I'm glad I did because I managed to get the owner's contact information and made reservations directly with him - which proved to be a lot cheaper than booking online. The property is owned by a nice man named Boy Mora.

When we spoke over the phone, I expressed my interest in booking the entire property for one night since we wanted to relax and have privacy. When he found out that it'll just be myself and my husband staying, he suggested that I take just the family room instead since there were only 2 of us and he didn't want us to spend more than we have to. At that time, he said that there were no other guests booked so it's as if we have the entire place to ourselves without having to pay too much. How cool was that?

And when he learned that we were there for our anniversary, he even offered the use of his AUV and to have his driver or himself take us to Alona beach to have a nice dinner - free of charge. Talk about going the extra mile.

I then asked him what the arrangements were - if he needed a deposit from us to guarantee our booking. All he said was that he trusted us so we need not pay for anything until we checked out. At Php 1,500 a night in a Family Room with breakfast for two AND a pool? I was stoked.

PROPERTY and LOCATION
The property is right on the Dauis-Panglao Road, just a few meters away from this school called e-College - I forget the exact name. Our driver used that landmark to locate the B&B. Some people might be put off by its location, especially not being by the water but it's just a 10-minute drive to Alona Beach.

For us, their central location was actually a good thing because they were far enough from the maddening beach tourist crowds but also close enough if you want to hit the beach for a swim. But then again, they also have a pool so why bother, eh?

Didn't bother with the pictures because what you see online is exactly what you get.

CHECKING IN / OUT
As soon as our driver parked at the driveway, we were immediately greeted by a high-spirited Mr. Mora. He whisked away our bags and took us to our room. We had a quick chat and he showed us where everything was - the TV room, the fridge, the kitchen, etc. and was out of our hair. Very warm and friendly but not intrusive.

Checking out was just as fast - Mr. Mora informed us as soon as our driver arrived, collected our payment, took our bags, wished us well and sent us off.

THE ROOM
The Family room had a nice queen-sized bed, comfortable bedding, en suite T&B and built-in cabinets for your stuff. We brought our own toiletries but they provided soap, towels and toilet paper. It didn't have a TV though since the villa has a cozy TV room in the common area.

The other rooms in the property were 2 Standard rooms that have a common/shared T&B and are at Php 1,200 night per room with breakfast for 2.

THE STAY
After we had settled in, the husband and I hung out by the pool and Mr. Mora checked in on us and had a friendly chat. As it turned out, there were other guests arriving that day as they too made a last-minute booking. Admittedly, we were a bit disappointed upon hearing that because I originally had wanted to book the whole villa but then again, I couldn't fault him since it was a last-minute booking and he was just being nice by trying to save us some money.

He did assure us that it'll just be 4 adults occupying the 2 standard rooms in the property. Their flight was apparently delayed and were not expected to arrive until that evening so we did have the entire property to ourselves at least for the whole afternoon.

The peace and quiet we were enjoying suddenly came to a halt when the other guests arrived. They were not just 4 adults - they were a family of 7 yellers: 4 adults AND 3 children. Now I refer to them as yellers because they kept talking real loudly wherever they went in the property. The children I understand - they were doing what children do best. But the adults were just terrible - running after the kids and screaming and/or talking loudly. I don't think their inside voices were properly programmed.

We're not sure if Mr. Mora knew that they had 3 kids with them or if they misled him. Nevertheless, when they arrived, it was just pure chaos. Naturally, being a very hospitable proprietor, Mr. Mora had to attend to the new guests and unfortunately in the process, he sort of "forgot" about us. We didn't want to trouble him for the ride to Alona beach that he had offered previously, seeing that he had enough yellers to take care of. We did ask if we could have food delivered from his restaurant instead for dinner (he owns a franchise of Chicken Ati-Atihan on Panglao) and he was kind enough to offer his staff, Dennis, to buy food for us at no extra cost.

Before we retired for the evening, he asked us if it was alright to have the yellers have their breakfast ahead of us since they were doing a tour early in the morning the next day. We had no problem with that - we were actually glad that they were taking off. I did find it strange though because we weren't asked what we wanted for breakfast. You see, in the room there was the breakfast menu and you can pick what you wanted to eat. Just a minor detail and was well made up for by the hearty feast we were presented the next day.

Breakfast for us consisted of 2 sets of, well-plated too if I may add, longganisa (2pcs.), fried rice, sunny-side up, tomatoes, cucumbers, fried plantains, ripe mangoes, coffee and a whole big bottle of OJ and water. Mr. Mora said that he prepares the brekkies himself. Well done, sir!

At that time we chanced upon, whom we assume to be, his wife Nancy. Interestingly enough, she is a stark contrast to her husband. After the yellers had their grub, we heard loud and firm knocks on our door - the urgent type - and my husband was met by a poker-faced woman telling him that breakfast is served and that we should eat while the food is warm. She wasn't rude or anything, she just wasn't as friendly as Mr. Mora which actually did surprise us a little.

Overall, the stay wasn't too bad - it was just really the other guests who put a damper on our visit because of their noise. Something that the proprietor is not directly responsible for.

The one thing that I will say that is a flaw would be when Mr. Mora scolded Dennis in front of us while we were having breakfast. I don't approve of superiors reprimanding their staff in front of guests - whatever and wherever the set up may be. It makes the guests feel uncomfortable and is absolutely mortifying for the staff. Besides, no one looks charming when they're angry.

We would will definitely stay here again when we go back to Bohol and recommend it to my friends and family. But we'll be sure to get the whole place to ourselves when we do.

If you find my review helpful, please click the 'Yes' button beside "Was this review helpful?" below. Thank you!

Room Tip: Book the entire villa - definitely worth its price.