“Very nice...and needs more service finesse” 4 of 5 stars

Henann Resort, Alona Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tawala, Philippines   |
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Panglao Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Very nice...and needs more service finesse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The villas are extremely private and quiet so we really enjoyed our stay. The space inside and around the villa is also very rare since most resorts will jam many rooms in a small space - not Henann. Very spacious and expansive lawn/garden. The breakfast menu has also a lot to choose from and the food isn't too bad either. The beach set up is probably the best in the Alona strip. The front desk staffs and waiting staffs really tried their best to be helpful although most of the times it wasn't good enough due to the very busy period with very little staffs around. This is where the not-so-good things start unravelling. Firstly, there's very little staffs around to help the guests at the restaurant or by the beach or by the pool. The owner and management can do a lot better in planning the staffing especially it plans to expand the hotel to 100 or so rooms. Secondly, the villas need to be updated given the price it is charging...especially the bathroom. The space is not enough to justify the price, the tiles, the faucet, shower - they all need to be modernised tastefully. Perhaps, the owner can tap Edwin Uy to re-design a few upgrades and the new extension. By the way, I do not know Edwin personally, I just happen to see his work and I admire the sincerity and quality of his design. Thirdly, in order to be appreciated by modern local and foreign guests, they need to keep up with the advancement in technology. The wifi must work in the rooms/villas too. The credit card facilities must work all the time.

All in all, Henann has the most potential in the whole strip even compared to Amorita which we used to stay every time on vacation. We will definitely visit Henann again just to check if it has improved...will I recommend it? Maybe, as top 3 but it isn't my number 1 yet.

Room Tip: Villas 1 to 6 are sea front so they are better than the ones at the back. The happy hour from 5pm is...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed at this resort for 7 nights this past New Years.

We've stayed at many high-rise mega-resorts as well as small boutique resorts--and everything in between--around the world. For this trip, since we had never been to Panglao Island before, we were looking for a quiet, beachfront resort on Alona Beach with modern conveniences and close to a 5-star PADI dive shop. Henann Resort on Alona Beach hit the spot.

What can be most disappointing with lodging in the Philippines is that maintenance does not always seem to be a priority. A resort starts off gleaming and fresh, but months later, the paintwork goes dull, things get stained, break, or chip, and there is no effort to make it as fresh as it was when it opened. Not so at Henann. Everything was pleasing to the senses. The resort was more clean and polished than my husband expected, but it was exactly what I was hoping for considering the hotel rate--and Henann delivered. The gardens and grounds were tidy, lush, and very pretty. I even did sun salutations one morning in the shade of some coconut trees facing the beach. The pool was very nice and well-maintained.

Our villa #1 was spacious, filled with natural light, and the decor warm and serene. There was plenty of storage for clothes and anything else you might've brought for a week's or more stay. It rained a lot the week we were there, and I got a bad cold in the last 3 days, so we spent several afternoons lounging and reading on our veranda which has a view of the pool and the beach beyond.

At first, I was struck by the fact that the bathroom was not air-conditioned. There is a door that separates the air-conditioned bedroom from the non-AC foyer and bathroom. By morning, I quite appreciated stepping out of our cool bedroom and being faced with the reality of living in the tropics. I didn't have to turn on any lights in the bathroom during the day--which I like--as there were plenty of obscured windows to let in light and fresh air. Mosquitoes were not a problem indoors, so long as you don't leave the front or back doors open, since all the windows in the villa are screened. Believe me, mosquitoes feast on me otherwise.

Food from Christine's, their in-house restaurant, was quite good which is why we decided to eat there New Year's Eve despite having already tried a few other good places along the beach. We had breakfast there every day; I think it was included in our rate. I pretty much tried all the non-meat breakfast options (I'm pescatarian) and all were good, but my least favorite was the Continental. Where the breakfast included meat, I requested it to be omitted and they easily accommodated, so I experienced none of the issues other reviewers have reported when they made special requests.

The hotel is located in a nice and quieter section of the beach. If you want noise and bustle, it's a short 5 minute walk to the livelier section of Alona Beach. As good as the food was at the hotel, we prefer to leave the hotel once in a while, so we had dinner at about 4 other places nearby. The hotel is also just a few minutes walk from Sea Explorers, a 5-star dive shop.

I didn't rate it "excellent" due to the service. Please note that the entire staff were all very helpful, friendly, and accommodating, and this was to a bit of a fault. Typically, as a customer or guest, I know who's responsible for my order or request. At Henann, everyone was so eager to give prompt and friendly service that the message sometimes got lost or delayed as it got passed between staffers. Examples: Two different servers would ask me for my order, or one would ask me for my food order and someone else will come and ask about drinks, and I'd have to flag down someone else for the bill. Food service was slow on the beach as it was often short-staffed. I spoke to a couple of the staff, and they were all brought it new in March 2011 when Henann took over the resort. Seeing how everything else at Henann was otherwise quite good, I expect they'll iron out this service quirk soon as the staff gain more experience.

Yes, you can stay somewhere else on Alona Beach for half the price, but you won't have the quiet, space, amenities, nor service that Henann offers. But if price is not a priority, Henann is your best bet. I'm sure my review will be "Excellent" next time we go back,

Room Tip: Villa 1 is closest to and fronts the pool and the beach beyond. We seem to get decent their Lobby wi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I must admit Henann was not our first choice when we were scouting for resorts because there are less expensive accommodation in Alona Beach. And so we booked a room in a cheaper resort which shall remain undisclosed. It was cheap but the experience was also cheap. For some reasons the cheaper resorts are jammed in a very small area (maybe that's why their rooms are cheap). Henann on the other hand has a long and wide beachfront. The sand at Henann's beachfront is also much finer than in any other part of Alona Beach. So we decided to check out ealier in the cheaper resort and checked in at Henann. We shelled out a couple of bucks more than our previous accommodation but it  was WORTH IT. The resort has this very exclusive atmosphere probably due to the immensity of the area.  The villas are strategically built so that every guest can have privacy. The villas are sparated by a well maintained garden. Each villa has it's own private terrace with sunbeds, table and chairs. Front villas have pool view and sea view while the villas at the back have garden view. We were at the back villa but it was okey because the pool is just about 20 steps away and we spent most of our time in the beachfront anyway.
The food was good, they serve local and international cuisine. You should try their halibut steak, seafood crepe, and surf & turf. The mashed potato was awesome! And the staff are all very polite and friendly. The front desk helped us book a dolphin watching and a country side tour. We only saw about 5 dolphins but the kids had a lot of fun. We had a delightful stay.We got the relaxation that we needed. No other resort in Alona
Beach has a more serene atmosphere than Henann. See it for yourself. We will come back next year.

• Stayed December 2011
shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stay at this resort for 10nights for christmas with my family(my 2 kids)the only good thing on this resorts is right location and the only villas next to those horrible small hotel,the staff or manager doesnt make any effort for everything,we expected to be more on Xmas to have lots of program for the kids even for the decoration it looks ecxatly like the owner,staff and manager.miserable people,we argue with the breakfast for my kids as they charge us and very limited a la cart breakfast,if you ask to make request for anything they say no,and they charge everything like if you loose towels on the room or umbrella,get ready for that when you check out.there's nothing importation for anything on the room I wanted to order room service and I call them they say can deliver the menu,,, any importation you wanted to know,you have to go to the information,its ashamed that this 12villas has the right location but very bad service,this is not cheap hotel.if I go back to Bohol I wouldn't choose this resorts anymore,they will re-build 203 rooms anyway.

Room Tip: 3 or 4 not overlooking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We have been coming almost every year (for seven years) to Alona Palm- Henann now, so we are happy that they re-opened. We appreciate the new LCD TV, phone by night table, and the water heater. This resort has been our favorite vacation place in Bohol. The villas are spacious, the bed, duvet and the pillows are very soft, clean and comfortable. My wife and I are very particular when it comes to hotel linens and i have to say that we were really impressed with the quality of beddings at Henann.

Another thing that we love about Henann is the relaxed and laid back atmosphere. This place is naturally beautiful, it's vibrating with colors- there are palm trees, coconut trees, bermuda grass and flowers everywhere, and of course the very elegant swimming pool plus the sparkling white beach and the crystal blue water. The place is practically an alluring garden with a nice beach. Sure it's a bit more expensive than the other resorts in Alona but it's worth it. Other resorts are very crowded and have very narrow beachfront. During high tide only Henann Resort has beachfront. Everything about the resort is charming and relaxing. We'll keep coming back.

• Stayed December 2011
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is my second time in Bohol, we previously stayed at Amorita beach resort along alona beach, we just learned about the former Alona palm resort just opened as henann, we always wanted to stay here but couldnt get any reservation before, probably due to limited rooms, and I have to say its far better than any resort that we have stayed in panglao. We like the fact that its so peaceful and private, me and my family enjoyed quality time together we dont usually get in other resorts. the food was exquisite, hmm. I actually dont think there was any restaurant as good as this, so we decided to have all our meals in the resort! and that beachfront was just wow. I couldn't find anything like that in the area, the location is really superb, the resort staff were also really polite and nice, so I couldn't really say anything bad at all. We surely be back soon. :)

Room Tip: hmmm... All villas seem to be in perfect condition, except for wifi access, so probably choose villa...
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

If I had paid about 50% less for this place I would not have had a bad word to say about it. As it is we paid around the same as we would have paid for a shangri-la or similar but the difference in service, entertainment options and food choices is huge. The restaurant is woeful. The food choice is limited and often items are out of stock. Three times I asked for something with a slight change e.g burger with no sauce the request was not fulfilled... Every time! The breakfast is pitful with very limited choices and their idea of what a continental breakfast is is laughable.

There was no info available on what to do locally or what the hotel would provide in the way of waterspouts etc. the service was poor with barely a smile to spare among any of the staff. Every night we went to the bar for happy hour and every night we had to ask for the cushions to to put on the seats for us to sit down.

The rooms are nice. The pool is gorgeous. The beach is amazing. Everything that is good about this place is a leftover from the previous management I assume. I assume that the people who wrote excellent reviews of this place have maybe limited experience of what else can be had in the Philippines for the same money. Henann resort has a long long way to go before it should be pricing itself in the same bracket as the shangrila etc. we will not be back here again.

Room Tip: Specific villas cannot be reserved but if possible ask for rooms 2,3 or 4.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Henann Resort, Alona Beach? Share your experiences!