“Period of stay from 27 till 30/12/2011” 3 of 5 stars

You added Whites and Greens Beach Resort to your Saves list
Whites and Greens Beach Resort
Arko Beach | Libaong, Philippines   |
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Period of stay from 27 till 30/12/2011”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I went with my husband to bohol to celebrate our 20th anniversary and was recommended by our guide who made the reservations for us to stay at white and green resort. We stayed at room 12 and the beach is just a few steps away from our cottage.. The room is very basic and simple with air conditioner. Only towels, a packet of conditioner and shampoo is provided. We paid php2000 for a night which works out to S$60 inclusive of simple breakfast. The breakfast consists of fried eggs, rice and either 2 sausage or corn beef. There's only cold shower and the water is hard (salty). The resort offered free water and coffee at their dining area. Their menu is very simple, each dish cost between php140 to 190 which is cheaper than the other resorts restaurants along the beach. Do remember that every dish you ordered comes with a rice, which means that if you were to order 3 dishes, you will get 3 rice. I highly recommend pancit bihon (Tang hoon) which is really nice and this too comes with a rice. My husband ordered this twice. There's only 1 vegetable on the menu and that is Chop Suey (mixed vegetables) which is quite nice. There's no other food stalls available as it is about 15mins by foot on rocky paths if you were to venture out. Wifi is available at the dining area only though you might not be able to get the connection all the time. I would said that this place is quite laid back, where you do nothing but just enjoy the beach and relax..
The beach is nice though it is difficult to walk out as their many corals and rocks along the shore lines. There's another 2 other resorts along the shoreline, mainly bohol beach club and dumaluan beach resort which is pretty crowded, these 2 resorts seem pretty popular with the locals there. On our way back, we asked our guide to drop us at the city where we had their grilled chicken and that was cheap and good.. Mang Inasal. We had barbecued pork stick and pecho (grilled chicken) with rice and it only costs php190 in total and the chicken is really good. We also tried their Halo Halo (local ice-cream) which is like singapore version of ice kachang..which is not too bad, only php49. Best of all, the rice is unlimited and there's this waitress carrying a bucket of rice asking if patrons need top ups..
We enjoyed ourselves in our island hopping trip which includes snorkeling though i was a bit disappointed that there's no dolphin in sight.. but otherwise, the trip is quite relaxing with 2 afternoons frees.. We went to the countryside and panglao tour too. We went to the bohol bee farm and personally i would recommend staying there as there's ocean view rooms and activities and tours for families with kids. They offer pickups from ferry to and from the resort for free and rates for a ocean view room is about php3000 inclusive of breakfast..
By the way, I'm from Singapore.. and I hope this review will be of some help. At the very least, you know what to expect..

Room Tip: Room 12 is not bad..
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Manille
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I began pelting Miss Neo with questions in August 2011 until the day before our arrival in December 2011. Her demeanor did not change; she was accommodating all throughout and concise when answering queries. When we arrived, she greeted us with a smile as the resort staff assisted us with our bags and ushered us to our room. My family and I were exhausted after the entire day tour and the staff of Whites and Greens immediately made us feel at home. While I was expecting (read: imagining, as I did not specify with Miss Neo which room to get) to be led to a room between the shore and the restaurant, our room number 14 shares a spectacle of the sea right at your doorstep.

Since our family trip focused on countryside and sea tours, we did not require fancy hotel and amenities. Whites and Greens's basic bungalow room can accommodate a maximum of four people and our room was readily furnished with two additional mattresses, so we just hit the sack after taking a quick shower. The resort water, as Miss Neo clarified through email, is salty since they are on an island. But you can get free, potable water from their dispenser in the restaurant and use it for brushing your teeth. Simple. Doing your research and verifying what you have read with your prospective establishment before confirming reservation will spare you from disappointment and the embarrassment of passing a quick, uninformed judgment.

The rooms do not have a TV and the resort does not have a videoke machine. Makes sense, you didn't go to the beach to watch TV. Itching to do something before sleeping? Listen to music by the sea or borrow a book from the restaurant. I really don't mind being away from the world in such a pristine

The mattresses, sheets, and towels are not brand new as that would be rather costly, but they are clean. Our room has a small cabinet, a side table, a shell lamp without bulb, a small aircon, and a dim ceiling light (which is not a fuss since we just need the room to sleep in and take a shower). The bathroom is also clean and has no smell. In front is a mini porch where you can lay all your wet clothes for drying. Outside, on the side of the door, is a clothesline that you can use to hang your wet clothing.

With the room reservation comes free breakfasts, which surprisingly sufficed during our sea tour. The "kuya" (he has a shy face and curly hair; I'm terrible at asking people their names) who attended at the restaurant is attentive and amiable, despite the simultaneous arrival of guests to have breakfast. We asked him to reheat our leftover pizza from Bohol Bee Farm but forgot to say that we would take it to our sea tour. He took the plate and packed the pizza without complaint. I like most about Whites and Greens staff is that they are hospitable but not intrusive. I just hate having people constantly check on you or if you need/want anything that you are not keen to have at the moment. All I ask of any establishment staff is that they are ready to respond when the need arises.

As for the sea weeds gathering on the shore, the resort staff religiously rake these early in the morning since the sea mostly begins to dump these before dark. Ergo, calm waves and the absence of sea weeds make morning the ideal time to take a swim (although this observation may apply in December only or because a typhoon just passed). As for their seaside facilities, sea water is bound to wear these easily, but the nipa sheds, beach chairs, and rubber chairs and tables are not "rotten."

While the price of their food may be comparably low than that of neighboring restaurants (and the seafood eatery in Balicasag Island), I still found it steep for the quantity. But the taste will make up for the small quantity (we love their chicken adobo :D). One thing that made me sad was that we were not provided with coconut drinks, contrary to what I have read in a blog. Even when we said that we'll pay for four coconuts, the "kuya" refused and said that the owner instructed them to keep the coconuts intact on the trees for display.

Brief justification for my ratings:
* Service: Excellent, as I explained above. They just let the guests be, no sudden popping out of nowhere to offer random services. The guests and the staff co-exist in the serenity of the sea, sand, and sky; everyone seems at peace in the place.
* Value: At such cheap rate and a patch of sand and sea all to yourself, greeting you every waking hour; lush trees as shelter from the sun; no crowd, no noise but the crashing waves, our stay in Whites and Greens is a great deal!
* Sleep Quality: No disturbance so this is a five. They, however, open a light outside each room so if you are sensitive to light when sleeping, stay away from the window or put anything to block the window as we didn't find any switch for it.
* Cleanliness: Satisfyingly spotless but, as in anything, there's always room for improvement. :)
* Location: Peer outside your window, step out of your door, and there's the sea! What more can you ask for?
* Rooms: Basic, simple, clean. Just right to have a rest and sleep.
* Kids Activities: As a kid who grew in the 90s, the beach would have sufficed. But kids these days seem attached to technology to be entertained and Whites and Greens do not provide that, save for a WiFi connection to feed your iPad or whatnot. There was this little girl who appeared to have the time of her life tilting and rotating her parents' tablet.
* Pets: The resort keeps two dogs that just lay or roam idly, and do not disturb the guests. So I guess you may bring yours too.

I may have left out something else but I hope my extensive review will cover that. :D Enjoy your stay! My parents, sister, I will definitely book here again.

P.S. My decent photos of the resort are yet to be digitized from my films.

Room Tip: Choose our room! Number 14. :) But I guess any room has a good view of the sea except for the family...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We booked our Bohol accommodations quite late so most of the resorts were fully booked already. We got Whites and Green's family room because the rooms for 2pax were all booked. Considering the family room's price (against other resorts vacant rooms) their rates are more affordable so we decided to book here.

A few days before my trip, I have actually read a review from a blog about the family room as well. The review was pretty bad and I thought it was just an isolated case so I still decided to push through.

But no, we had a horrible experience too! Where do I start? Cobwebs are everywhere. On my way to the bathroom, I felt cobwebs against my face. When I got inside the bathroom, I saw a spider, complete with its nest! And this was just the beginning. Overall, the bathroom is dirty. It smells bad and looks scary. Shower head is rusting. In the middle of taking a bath, the water stopped. Bathroom towels has stains/marks on them. The kind that looks like rust/brownish stains. It was one of those times that I wished I brought my own towel! In our room, we were provided with what seemed to be someone else's personal blankets. Instead of the usual white sheets, we got mismatched cartoon blankets, which smells funny by the way. It's as if they ran out of white sheets and decided to give us their own blankets instead. I wasn't able to sleep well and decided to transfer to another resort first thing the next morning. I couldn't bear the idea of using the bathroom and sleeping in our room for another day.

I have stayed in other budget accommodations so I know when to lower my expectations. But this was so far the worst I have ever experienced.

However, I'm speaking for the family room only. I have read reviews for the normal rooms, and I think guests are fine with them. So you might want to consider the normal room, since it is well-priced and the resort has a nice clean beach front.

Other points: Staff service is so so. Food, don't expect much. Beach front is clean. Again, just don't get the family room.

Room Tip: Do not get the family room
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

we stayed here last Nov 27, 2010 and I can tell that this is the place if you want a peaceful, calm and relax vacation. It's a beach front and with free breakfast. You never get bored because this place near the beach and restaurant. About 5 to 10minutes walk, you will reach dumaluan beach resort which is like "la carmela beach resort of bora station2"
The owner of this resort is very accomodating and hospitable to his guess even though one of his staff is a little bit rude..The room is clean as well as the bad room, no TV, only bed, comfort room, and 2 plug for charging phones/camera.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Manila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The concept of the nipa houses is very nice. No ammenities like swimming pools, gym, or other stuff. Water faucet is salty. =( and bathroom so smelly. Expect a bed, sheets, and just a Cr in the room, though all units are airconditioned and clean. I wasn't really happy because I had to buy mineral water for toothbrushing and to wash my face. :(

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Spent 4D/3N at Whites and Greens. The tour/accommodation package we got is great value for money. The beach is great with an abundance of marine life - just be careful you might step on some sea urchins. It's mostly quiet especially at night time. During the day, however, you can hear people singing karaoke at the nearby resort. The place is clean; the rooms are very basic - no cold/hot shower nor tv - but we were kept occupied with all the tour activities and beautiful beach. Wifi is free but signal is stronger at the restaurant area. Most of our meals were already included in the package and that was great. Their staff members are very courteous and helpful. The owner, Sir Ed, is very welcoming, talking to us and reminding us of our next day's tour/activity. Regarding our booking/itinerary, it was easy to communicate with Ms. Neo, promptly replying to any of our queries via email or text. At the end of our stay, we were given a canned toy tarsier as a souvenir. Overall, it was a memorable and enjoyable experience staying at Whites and Greens.

• Stayed May 2011
Davao City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

At first glance the place looked ok and we presumed the place would be up to a certain standard. However, and having booked for 2 nights, we found that the bathroom had a sewage smell which didn't disappear during our time there (cant say about other rooms). It permeated the room when the bathroom door was open. Only a light sheet provided for cover in bed at night. No chairs to sit on. No wifi in the room. Broken glass on the beach. The food menu was poor and the charges rich for the fare provided. Breakfast was "free" and consisted of 2 cold fried eggs, uneatable sausages and cold rice. I give beter to my dog. Toast was bread warmed on one side and the resort had no butter. Couldn't wait to get away and sorry we booked at all. would not recommend the place to anyone. Value for money?? No value to me anyway.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Whites and Greens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!