TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Home away from Home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Soberano Chihuahua

You added Hotel Soberano Chihuahua to your Saves list
Hotel Soberano Chihuahua
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Barranca Del Cobre 3211 | Fraccionamiento Barrancas, Chihuahua 31125, Mexico (Formerly The Westin Soberano Chihuahua)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Chihuahua
california
“Home away from Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I've been staying at the Soberano for quite sometime now. Started with Palacio del Sol (before the Soberano existed) and then Hampton. I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant since I heard it's no longer a Westin and from some of the reviews. I didn't feel any hiccups in the service during my stay. As I understand, the hotel switched ownership to the Governor of Chihuahua.
The beds are always comfortable and every morning I look forward to the delicious authentic mexican breakfast! Yes, the hotel is quite a distance from the airport, but it's worth the drive. Plus, I've always felt safe here. The wait staff at restaurant Cascada is always very pleasant and they aim to please...
Sure, the beautiful waterfall as you enter the hotel is not functioning which has left some residue on the fountain wall. Would be nice to see this working again.
Thank you for making my stay (again) during Christmas memorable one again.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Gurnee, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my first trip to Chihuahua and my first trip to the Hotel Soberano. As many have stated, it's NOT a Westin but run independently now. I can see that years ago this hotel was definitely in its prime. There used to be a huge waterfall all along the back wall of the hotel but since it has been shut off it's covered in lime residue.

I was on a trip with three co-workers and we felt like we were the only people at the hotel! Literally, I never saw another soul in the hotel other than my three counterparts. The staff was kind, courteous and attentive but I was a little concerned by the total lack of people staying at the hotel.

I never ate, used the pool or fitness area so I can't speak to any of those. From my room I had a view of the pool which looked awesome.

On my first night a staff member stopped by with a complementary glass of wine and plate of cheese which was very kind. I did not finish the wine or cheese and left it for the maid to clean up. The next day the wine and cheese were still in my room, with fruit flies all over the leftovers. The maid had definitely visited because my towels were refreshed and my bed was made, but they didn't take away the food, which was a little gross.

The hotel was the furthest one from the airport, which means it's also away from all the noise. But you'll pass about 20+ hotels before arriving at this one.

All in all it was a fine stay. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were fairly quiet. But the lack of maid service, lack of other people at the hotel and general "empty" feeling the hotel had was a little concerning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mexico City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Soberano is worrying as you sense that since Westin pulled out they are not investing in upkeep. I stayed one night as I was in town for a friend's wedding. Room was nice and well appointed, but no Kleenex. Check in was slow and the two clerks seemed stressed. At least ten rooms came on our flight I guess and we showed up more or less at the same time.

The Casacada restaurant was not good at all. Service was friendly, but slow. However, the food was appalling. I asked for a spoon as I had soup as an appetizer and at least five minutes later, the waitress returned with a teaspoon. My main plate was terrible. Some of my friends also there for the wedding braved running across very busy streets to a nearby Chili's and truly had the greatest meal.

The Casacada restaurant looks upon what used to be the waterfall over the front door which is now dry When yo enter, there are odd statues of lions and a naked woman. It feels weird.

The hotel is on top of a hill and there are no sidewalks to get out - I felt trapped until I could leave for the wedding.

The hotel is also event central for locals (and in my short time there I saw their TV commercials a few times) - there was a shower where people seemed to bring their own food and bottles and there was also a wedding going on. Guests were yelling in the lobby which is atrium like but I guess I slept well and did not get bothered. I left the hotel at 4:30 am for the airport when the local wedding guests were leaving.

I would have rather stayed in Centro even at a less nice property. This was nothing special and oddly located.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is a very good hotel in Chihuahua City. It is right off the "Periferico de La Juventud" avenue and with very easy access to and from that street. It is a bit far and a bit confusing to get to from the airport if you are driving your self and are not familiar with the city. It is very near shopping centres and easy to get out for dinner etc. If you are travelling for business and don't mind paying a bit extra, getting access to the executive lounge will save you some money. They have some light dinner and all the beer and alcohol you can drink which is included. So ask and make that decision if it is worth it for yourself. The food is a very small buffet style bar with a handful of options and it is very good and they include breakfast and dinner. (I am not sure about lunch I was not there at that time).

There is very big gym and has very good equipment and the pool and pool area have a great view of the city.

If you get the rooms that face the periferico you also get a great view of the city.

The rooms are very roomy and comfortable, they are even a little on the luxurious side. There is a large LCD tv in the room and they get good cable chanells. I will definitelly stay here again. If you are on a budget there are many options nearby but you don't get as much as you do on this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the rooms that face the periferico as they give you a great view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for Christmas vacation, and I must say that this hotel was fine and average. I felt safe, and I enjoyed that there was a view of the city from our room.
Out of other hotels that were an option, this was certainly the best of the bunch. Not too sure why this hotel has been rated so low.

Room Tip: I would recommend you get a room facing the city instead of the pool, there's a bit more to look...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Everything is perfect, beautiful rooms and great panorama. The staff is kind and nice. This is the best hotel you can find in this wonderful place far from the noisy traffic, specially if you go with your partner! Also for amazing parties and wedding parties.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Soberano has a commanding view of Chihuahua. But she is an older hotel that puts up a game face. That being said, I enjoyed the stay. The staff is extremely curteous. The room was very clean and had a fresh air about it. I liked the pool.

But, there is a sense of things abandoned. None of the bars are staffed. The outside... although clean was missing any kind of service. Maybe I was there the wrong season to be hanging out at the pool.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Soberano Chihuahua? Share your experiences!