“Not what I expected!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Finisterre
County Sligo, Ireland
“Not what I expected!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked this as a little treat for the end of our 100 km walk. We were expecting a Spa, with sauna, jacuzzi and a pool. What we got was a hotel, that was a 15 walk from the port, up a steep hill and a really frosty reception from a gentleman (and his mother/mother-in-law) who should not be in the hospitality industry. The room was indeed beautiful, although the bath was tiny (I am 5´4 inches and I couldn´t lie down fully in the bath). Another positive was that he view of the port was lovely from our bedroom . However, the pool was empty, and when we asked about the spa facilities, we were informed quite ´frostily´that we would have to book 2 hours in advance (at this stage, it was 9pm and we were on our way into town to eat) To be quite honest, the owner either doesn´t like people or has an aversion to pilgrims doing the Camino. He was cold, unfriendly and is bereft of all people skills. In all the places we stayed in Spain, this was the worst. I was so disgusted, that I left next morning without breakfast. He needs to employ a front of store person with a winning smile and a warm heart, otherwise, he´ll be out of business in no time, Mary McIntryre (Spanish teacher, Ireland)

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2015

The hotel was one of our stops on the Camino. The hotel is a little quirky and off the beaten path. It has Rustic In the name for a reason. The staff was incredibly accommodating, even driving one of our group to Lires when no taxi was available. Breakfast was good --the apple pear tart paricularly tasty. But the breakfast had no protein as has been our expectation in Camino hotels.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2015

The hotel lies uphill from the small town of Finisterra (the end of the world) and indeed looks rustic from all sides It has a nice big garden and a small pool but as I was there in winter there was no need for that. There were no other guests when I was there so service slipped the attention.

The room and the bathroom were nice and comfortable. There was a small desk, very small TV and good working free WiFi internet. At first the room was cold and damp but after that I found a tiny switch on the electric radiator it just got bearable.

Although I was told breakfast would be served at 8:30 nobody was there to serve it and the whole place was dark. Breakfast was minimal with some lumps of hard farmers bread, butter and jam. And some cakes. There were also some cereals and orange juice from a pack. You may get a cooked breakfast at an extra price.

When I left I got a nice certificate stating that I had visited the end of the world

My guess is that service will be better in summer when there are more guests

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

We stayed here after walking from Santiago. It was a little hike up the hill but given we'd just walked from Santiago, we could manage it! Plus the view was great from there. The hotel was nice and the room was lovely. We paid a little extra for a room with a view which was worth it. On arrival we were rushing to get up to the lighthouse to watch the sunset and the guy on reception was helpful in organising us wine, wine glasses and a taxi to get up there. It was a quiet hotel and a pleasant experience - nothing earth shattering but pleasant enough.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

We relaxed here for 2 days after our Camino - I could have stayed longer! Juan was a wonderful host, totally spoiling us with fantastic dinner and wine. He was very multi-talented looking after all our requests e.g Aqua caliente and cava by the pool! Easy to find with great signage and the hill isn't that big with the view worth it and only short distance to shops. We had a lovely spotless room, very comfy beds with delicious sheets- very peaceful. Reminded me of the top of Scotland wild and remote even with the purple heather. A great place to stay!

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

A bit of a steep climb from town but well worth it. Our room had a view west out the back, so we discovered that there was another much quieter beach 5 min walk down the other side of the hill. We sat there and watched a gorgeous sunset. Room was spotless with comfy duvets on the beds. Juan, our host was very helpful, and drove us to the airport in Santiago when we left (for a very reasonable fee). A very pleasant stay, at the end of our Camino.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

We were only spending one day here following The Camino, we couldn't book in until after 3pm. The man at the desk was very abrupt. We asked if breakfast was included in our 69 Euro price and were told it was. Next morning we were given 3 different types of bread (none of which I liked) and coffee. When I asked it that was all we were getting a chart was shown to me which should have been left in our room but wasn't. It was for us to book a breakfast for an extra 5.95 p.p. I told him I wasn't happy and would be buying breakfast in the town and he just shrugged his shoulders. I then told him I would be writing a review which would not be good and this did not bother him at all. His understanding of and spoken English was good so there was no misunderstanding. The room itself was quite nice but that is the only good thing I would have to say about Hotel Rustico Spa.

Room Tip: Read the reviews, we didn't but will in future