“Tony - the font of all things Burren” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Attractions in Kilfenora
Kilfenora
“Tony - the font of all things Burren”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I never tire of taking my guests on walks with Tony. Each time I learn a bit more - even on the same walk. Tony is a mine of information and brings the walk to life with stories, poetry and passion - not to mention history, geology, botany, biodiversity, economics, science, achaeology, geography and more. If you want a thorough introduction to all things Burren - Tony is your man!

Dublin, Ireland
14 attraction reviews
“Eco - and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Burren is beautiful without a guide. Tony is a great guide in that he helps you notice all the things right in front of you that you could otherwise miss. He quotes a lovely selection from locally and internationally famous Irish poets. On an unbelievably sunny day he helped us imagine the landscape in all seasons. He gave great insight into how the people of the area have been living in and continue to live in and influence the landscape.

Visited June 2013
Limerick
“Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Such a fantastic experience! I never before realised the extent of the Burren's uniqueness with regards to flora. Tony was a fountain of knowledge and extremely entertaining. I was fascinated by his descriptions of how human beings have influenced the development of the Burren over the years. Tony shared his insights on a wide range of topics and I particularly enjoyed his poetry recitations. Great to meet another Séan Dunne fan! Overall this was an extremely enjoyable experience and I would encourage everybody to partake in this fascinating walk!

Limerick, Ireland
“Everybody should do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Last week some colleagues and I took a visitor from the US for a trip to the Burren. Coming from Limerick and having spent over 50 years there I have often heard of the Burren and have only seen it from a distance. But Tony Kirby's guided tour was spellbinding! With a mixture of art, science, poetry, economics, history, geography and botany our charming guide took us on a three hour trek through this wonderful landscape. Whilst we had to climb a little, nothing was too arduous. There were 8 people including a lady who was about to get knee replacements and nobody had any difficulty. I would recommend this particular guide highly. Not only was he highly knowledgeable, he was also very entertaining. He has also written a book on the subject which I am reading at the moment - get your hands on this too! The memory of the trip to the Burren will stay with me for some time and I would happily do it again.

pilotdub
“Great walk, insights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were brought on a great walk through the Burren by Tony. He has fascinating insights on the history, botany and culture of the area. The walk itself was well paced and lasted for almost 3 hours. It is an ideal introduction to this unique part of Ireland. Supporting tourism of this type, which respects the importance of the environment and treats it with respect, is hugely important in developing the Burren as a global must-see tourism destination. Tony's knowledge and enthusiasm is infectious.

Visited June 2013