“Anything but "Luxurious"” 3 of 5 stars

Barangay Pundaquit San Antonio Zambales, Pundaquit, Luzon, Philippines   |
Quezon, Philippines
“Anything but "Luxurious"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The place was perfect in terms of location. Its located to where the boat stations are. It looks like a resthouse and you will notice that the staffmembers were like family or something. But they were all nice. If u want to order food (which is the only option you've got, unless u want to check out other resorts) you have to give them at least 30mins to prepare your meal even if ur the only customers around.

The room was ok. It was small, had TV set and decent beds. My main concern was the bathroom sink! I kept hitting it with my knee coz the place bathroom was very small. I also noticed a huge crack underneath it which bothered me a lot. Im sure it was due lots of hits from other guests. If it was my fault, i can never tell as it was already huge, haha! Well i hope they check that one out coz thats prone to a serious accident if the whole thing falls
apart.

I'd still recommend this place but you can also check other resorts as im sure you can also get the same rate. Just that this one is beachfront.

• Stayed May 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We thought this place was a good choice because the pictures on their website looked really enticing. Unfortunately, the pictures are way too good as compared to what it was in person. I booked 5 rooms in total (1 Family room, 2 Beach Front Rooms, 2 Mountain View Rooms) and I personally stayed at the Beach Front Room. It was way too small and uncomfortable. Everything in the room is made of cheap material, no heater in the shower, bed and pillows are too hard, blanket and bed sheet is way too thin, towels look tired, TV is too small... For 2,500 a night, I'd say that was expensive.

There's no real restaurant at the place because it's more of a bed and breakfast. It's actually a house which was converted to a resort. And mind you, "Luxury" should be scratched out from its name because there's nothing luxurious about this place.

The service is really great though. All the staff are very helpful and courteous. There's no restaurant at this place but they can cook for you. Food can be cooked the way you want it. If you crave for something that's not on the menu, they'd gladly buy the ingredients for you so that they can prepare it on the next day. We opted to dine at the "garden" and it was great because they fixed it up really well. Only downside was the food really took time to be served everytime we would order. I don't think they're used to preparing for a big group such as ours so after the first meal, we'd always order our food way in advance. Sinigang na Hipon turned out to be our favorite. For 380 pesos, you get a big bowl of Sinigang and 4 cups of rice.

Grilled squid was too rubbery, Kare-Kare was okay, Calamares was good, Bicol Express was bad - it was an entirely different version that I do not recognize.

They also offer boat tours for nearby islands like Capones and Camara, as well as Anawangin Cove. I tried their big boat when I toured the islands with the rest of my colleagues. Big boat was okay. On the next day, I also tried the small boat with my fiance. If you're the adventurous type, go with their small boat, it's as good as a roller coaster ride and you'd actually get wet from the waves. I also saw something green and glowing in the middle of the sea but I was too afraid to ask the boatman what it was. There was also some problem with the small boat that caused us to stop in the middle of the vast sea twice! TWICE! I was so relieved when we got back to the resort.

Overall, the place is okay. It's just not luxurious as we thought it would be. I would have given this place a really low rating had it not been for the great customer service.

Room Tip: Book a room within the main building, they're nicer. Rooms at the annex are terrible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was here with my coworker for our team building. The location of property is very nice facing the sea. The structure is not really an a hotel but more a villa converted into a Bed and Breakfast. The staff was always very accommodating. The family room that i shared with my coworker was recently renovated and very spacious. The experience was overall good, but do not be fooled by the name, is not a luxurious resort but just a nice Bed and Breakfast, with the same price you can find better Hotel.

Room Tip: Look for the Room with Sea View
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

i went here with my officemates to have our team building and we were a group of 13 from different nationalities.. we traveled around 4 hours from manila and we were expecting the place that we saw on their website.. the rooms were ok but not so clean.. it's more like a bed and breakfast rather than a hotel.. what i liked most was the bathroom.. with a shower and bath tub.. it was big and comfortable more than our room.. the food was ok as well but i don't suggest to order the bicol express because it doesn't taste bicol express.. so far the place was amazing especially the beach.. i had a good time..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Pasig, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

It's not a real "luxury" hotel or something. But it's a good one, with good services offered as well.
They catered to our island hopping request, they have a pool in the resort itself, and the staff are really helpful, they even prepared our breakfast as a take out, so we can eat it in one of the islands. Here's the complete blog: http://wp.me/p2uAw5-aV

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cainta, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I gave my wife the chance to choose our destination and the place we would be using. Fortunately, she chose the Luxury Resort. The accomodation really isn't a luxury, but the overall experience was. My wife, being the more stingy between us, chose the budget room of 1.9k php a night. The bathroom was a nightmare as i am not used to narrow spaces. But beyond that, the food, the people and the sight were very much a come-back. The attendants were excellent in making up for the disappointing room. The deluxe, suite and family room were pricey but well worth shelling out for!

• Stayed October 2012
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We must have been here on the off season...January 2011. We were literally the only guests at the hotel. This place is far out there too. Luckily we were a big group so we made the most of it.

The hotel looked to be getting renovations and was very confusing. We were put way in back near the ocean instead of the main hotel area where the lobby and main pool are. EVerything was stored away so we couldn't rent any surfboards or boardboards. I did manage to rummage through their inventory and grab a board and kayak to use for a few hours. That was pretty cool being out in the Indian Ocean on a 2 person kayak. The bodyboard was a bit scary. The surf here has a very strong shore rip and it's very dangerous for weak swimmers to be near the waters edge.

Other than that, the place is nice. I'm sure there is more to do in the summer when the hotel is fully staffed and all the rooms are booked with guests.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pundaquit Luxury Resort? Share your experiences!