“WOW who though THIS concept would work in the Hunter - but it sure does” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sabor in the Hunter Dessert Bar

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Lovedale
Cuisines: Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Offering the Hunter’s largest range of desserts from classical to colourful and inventive paired with local wines and dessert wines. Indulge in our multi-award winning Portuguese Chocolate Mousse, Handmade Chocolates, Macaroons and individual desserts such as the Ecuadorian Tres, in what will be a culinary experience you will not soon forget. Our dessert bar also offers gluten free alternatives, light meals and barista made coffee to enjoy on our informal alfresco patio or to takeaway.
London, United Kingdom
“WOW who though THIS concept would work in the Hunter - but it sure does”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

A Dessert BAR?? You have to be kidding, right. No! No! That is EXACTLY what it is and amazingly it works 100%.
We went there to meet another family we hadn't met in years. They had to "bribe" their kids to come - by promising them to this dessert treat.
Of course the Hunter is a great place for grown-ups but generally speaking the kids get as bored as teenagers at a croquet match watching their parents sup wine while making clever somelier comments as they quaff. So something for the kids is a great idea. Except that in the main this place is far more sophisticated than a kids' pandering emporium. This is chocolateering to a very high degree - and I've been in the chocolate business.
Just look at their website and you'll see what I mean. I can't possibly give you the full range of their delicious (largely Portuguese) specialities but they not only contain lovely ingredients they look absolutely stunning. Little (and some not so little) joys to behold.
The grown-up desserts come with pairing options of some of the best dessert wines and ports in the Hunter. I paired my choc ice creams with a Muscat to die for - liquid muscat sultanas. Mmmm!
And OF COURSE they have treats for the kids as well - from Belgian choc waffles to a "Kids Choc. Dipping Plate with a dish of Poco loco, Marshmellows, Snakes, Jelly Beans, Honey Comb & Sabor's Choc Pod (a sticky bowl of the dark deliciousest liquid chocolate outside Willy Wonker's factory). Double wow.

P.S. they do do some savouries - like croissants and cheese plates if you a total dessert bore.

P.P.S. the place is obviously getting a reputation. While we were there a couple flew in by helicopter . The heli-chauffeur picked them up an hour later. I'm sure that impressed the lady more than any stretched limo!!

HIGHLY recommended.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“Fine selections of sweet treats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Sabor is a nice place to visit if you're looking for sweet delicacies for your brunch. We went on a rainy day so the hot chocolate, coffee and cakes were perfect for the unfortunate weather conditions. They also have a selection of light lunch bites such as ham and cheese croissant and beef pie.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rothbury, Australia
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a favourite. The menu is extensive with lots of delights. Not only for the chocolate lover, they have a number of great tasting plates which are totally indulgent. The staff are always smiling and courteous.

Visited January 2013
“Beautiful desserts! Worth a trip.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

It's a lovely place, but when we went it was very hot and unfortunately they didn't have aircon! We had chocolate strawberries (a must!) and passion fruit cheesecake which was to die for. The couple how ran the restaurant served us and had a great chat with us about the products they use etc. I would recommend Sabor to my friends when they are visiting the hunter!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Dessert Heaven (heaven for the tongue, not so for the hip, but who cares!!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I discovered about this place from tv and didn't get the chance to visit until recently on the way to see the Christmas Lights Spectacular at the Hunter Valley Garden. A friend had visited first upon my mention of the place and she said I should go. The place was small, but intimate. The dining area was also limited but did not deter me as soon as I saw the desserts that they offered. I would not care if I have to eat while standing up. Many varieties, some you can have with a local wine recommended. You can browse the dessert list on their website. I had the Oreo cream cheesecake and it was divine, while my 2 children enjoyed their chocolate milkshakes and ham and cheese croissants. My friend has the tiramisu, my mum had the honeydew green tea and my husband had the excellent coffee. Overall, they're not too cheap but it's certainly worth every cent. They also have varieties of mousse which they made locally and already professionally packed, ready for takeaway. They also have Movenpick ice cream on offer and freshly made chocolates. Do drop by when you are in the area. You won't be disappointed !!

• Visited December 2012