“Fab” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Bampton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Crown & Mitre, our 4 star Inn based near Haweswater in Cumbria. Situated in the beautiful hamlet of Bampton Grange, we are an historic free house nestled on the edge of the North Eastern Fells.We serve a range of fine wines and ales and the highest quality food made from fresh, local ingredients.In our Lake District accommodation we have 8 en-suite bedrooms, and a self-catering apartment tastefully furnished and with views of the beautiful surrounding countryside.There are several walks directly from the Inn that can be as leisurely, or as challenging as you wish. We have amazing wildlife nearby. Watch out for the red squirrels in the church yard opposite, and England's only Golden Eagle in nearby Riggindale. We also regularly see red deer on the local fells nearby.Whilst situated in a quiet corner of the Lake District National Park, you are never more than a few minutes from the rest of Lakeland, giving you the benefit of easy access to attractions with a quiet haven to come home to.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I found this visit to be very enjoyable with plenty of atmosphere. Would certainly recommend to anyone.

Visited November 2013

cumbria
“lovely meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

had a meal with 4 friends last week. I have been in the hotel several times over the years and seen lots of changes. Was my local in my younger days. I had the small steak and Ale pie which was lovely and for pud a rasberry brulle. one of my friends had already eaten at lunch time so she had the salmon parcel and salad which she said was delicious. other friends had pork with a very crisp crackling and cheesecake for pud. Hopefully will be back soon bur will need to get in touch before I take my husband as he is a coiliac.

“Might have been nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Called in to try to book a table at about 6pm at the start of a weeks cottage rental in nearby Bampton. The response from lady behind the bar was "I may be able to fit you in at 8.45 to 9 o'clock if then" Spoken with an amused grin. I wanted a serious answer. The place looked very nice but we didn't return

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle
“Everything excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed in room 3 for two nights while we did some walking around Haweswater. King size , comfortable bed, wonderful bathroom, excellent food, well kept beer and friendly service. What more can I say? Oh, and we saw Andy Murray's last three games having a couple of very nice pints of Black Sheep in the bar.

Visited July 2013
“Comfortable rooms. Delicious evening meals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd stop on our Westmorland Way walk. The rooms were warm and comfortable. The shower wins our "shower of the week award" for being the most powerful yet! The meals were delicious, I had the steak and ale pie, which came in two choices of size, I opted for the large, having been walking all day, but it defeated me! The panacotta pudding was simply divine. For breakfast we were encouraged to have eggs rather than a full English, and this being our 3rd day my husband went for the poached eggs. I must admit they did look delicious. I opted for the croissants which were warm, and looked home made...they were scrummy!

Visited June 2013