“Central point to enjoy wild life and beaches in southern Sri Lanka” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peacock Beach Hotel

You added Peacock Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Peacock Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tissa Road, Galwala, Hambantota 0015, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hambantota
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Central point to enjoy wild life and beaches in southern Sri Lanka”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I went with my wife in April just to witness some wild life and the recent development in the Hambantota area. This is the second time I went to the Peacock beach hotel after the 2004 tsunami. This time I had some plus points and equal amount of areas to be improved for these guys as well. (For you guys, they will be tips)

On the plus side, the food and it's taste was comparatively good. The buffet had a satisfactory variation in ample amounts. The frond desk people were helpful and the services staff werer also quick.

On the other side, I think staff at the resturent are not properly trained. They seems to be working at their best capacity but if you are a person with decent expectations, surely they will make you disappointed. I asked for normal water since they were serving cold, and they simply ignored refilling my glass caz they didn't have jars of normal water with them at the dining room. Once I requested a finger bowl and they showed me the sink!

The toaster wasn't working properly and I also found the soup was too cold to consume. Instead they had made the dining plates so hot that I barely hold mine when serving my self dinner. When you complain, of course they try to do something about it immediately but I think they are the basics that they should not have missed.

I also found a live cockaroach in my room. Plus I could not contact the room service due to an issues in the room's phone. After I walked to the reception and made a complaint, they fixed the phone.

The 1st floor rooms didn't have a good view. So if you are visiting try to get a room from atleast 2nd floor. The condition of the room was okay despite the presences of the cockaroach but I randomly got odors. Could not figured out from wherer it was.

They have advertized number of attractions around but very less could be arranged via the front desk. Either it was not the best time or some required facilities were not available.

Though I mentioned beaches, at this hotel you can't have sea baths. The sea is too deep but you can find nice places towards Matara road. This is one of the reasons that this hotel remains less crowded even in the high season.

I also noticed issues with wifi signal strength. Luckily I used my own mifi router. I saw people in the lobby area having a hard time using the Internet.
Compared with my other experiences, if you are searching for luxuaries and high standards, this is NOT the place for you. You can find better places either in Matara or Tissa. If you are just here to spend the night and enjoy outside adventures, then this is definitely value for money.

If somebody from the hotel management is reading this, please get a good trainer to train your resturent staff!

Btw: I have a friend who says he had a paranormal experience while staying at this hotel (he links it with the tsunami victims) I didn't come across any while I was there :D except the monkeys screaming in the middle of the night sometimes, but if any of you get such an experience, please share.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our arrival at the Peacock didn't bode well. On unpacking we discovered a large dead cockroach on the carpet. In the wardrobe something moved but we were unable to find anything. We'd stayed in 5 hotels that week in Sri Lanka all providing free WiFi but the charges here were as much as roaming data. The obliging front house manager arranged to remove the deceased insect and provided login details enabling WiFi. This is a nice hotel spoilt by minor issues. The hotels position on the beach is excellent but no umbrellas or shades around the pool in 37 deg heat meant that we could not stay around the pool for long. We had booked a suite with a tv in the bedroom and one on the lounge but only the bedroom one had tv programmes and the lounge only DVD. Unfortunately we arrived on a public holiday so no alcohol in public areas however so that we could have wine with dinner the obliging front house manager arranged for use to choose from the buffet and for it to be sent to our room. The buffet was mainly Sri Lankan cuisine which was good and tasty. Breakfast buffet was let down by the lack of pork bacon but I guess this area is mainly Muslim although there was pork on the dinner buffet on one evening. All the staff were friendly and obliging.
A new airport opens soon in this area and this hotel needs to improve to give a higher quality standard if it is to compete with new hotels which will inevitably open when the airport opens.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Colombo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I went to this hotel with my family and stayed one day on the way to Yala National park. My experience was very good. The restaurant has a very good choice of food and all are very tasty. We all enjoyed staying at the hotel and I would like to come again with my friends. This is really worth for money

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The best is the beach directly in front of the hotel. I liked the food, especially the Sri Lanka food is very spicy :) Try the black pork curry!!!
The rooms are clean with balkony, but... no chairs?!? The see from the beach some had some not. So ask for a room with chairs. The staff was friendly. A drawback is the price for WiFi! 350 for 1h! Buy your voucher directly at dialog,

Room Tip: Aks for a room with chair and table at the balkony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I start with what I can say are positives:

- Grounds are pleasant and give us a sense of good promise about the place
- Quiet, felt like we were the only guests, and the seafront is pleasant
- The fruits they served were very fresh
- The wifi signal in our room was strong, but alas, it was not free wifi and the hotel ran out of wifi cards, so no wifi!

Negatives

- Wifi is imperative on our travels and we were not able to log on in the evening as the hotel ran out of wifi cards, after we used up the first wifi card of 4 hours and USD6. This was disappointing. To be fair, there was a business center option and there was a charge involved, but I did not use it and elected to turn my data roaming on my mobile phone instead.

- Toilet had black stains and was malodorous. I felt that the toilet was not clean.

- Kitchen staff and wait staff were numerous but there were language issues. I was unsuccessful in ordering egg whites despite speaking to 2 staff who seemed confident that they could handle the order.

- Cost was high, about GBP100, and for the price I would have much preferred to stay at Ceylon Hotels "The Safari", that we visited for lunch. However, our booking agent, Barefoot Travellers were unable to book that hotel for reasons undisclosed.

- Mosquitos in open air dining area. As I wrote this review, I was stung on my legs and feet at least 5 times before resolving the situation by applying repellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here on business, i was told that this is the only star class hotel in Hambantota. That seems to be true. Hotel is in a good location nicely overlooking the sea. sea was very rough but I don't think you can swim there anyway. Overall hotel had the expected standards, they need to improve a lot on service and quality. I was planning to go to Yala but due to my work its turned negative.

Food was quite good and fresh, i enjoyed that. All in all if you are here on business and looking for star class standards this place is quite good. it would be good to lower your expectations about attention to detail.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Peacock beach hotel is in Hampantota. As the sea is very rough and deep sea bathing is prohibited here. Thus there is no big crowd. That makes the place unique and peaceful. The hotel needs a bit more care in cleanliness / house keeping. The service is good and the food is above average. The rooms facing the beach is having a small balcony and the view is quite nice. The pool is nice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Peacock Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!