“Relaxing stay in a friendly, comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

5 Cambrian Terrace | Aberystwyth, Borth SY24 5HU, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Borth B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Relaxing stay in a friendly, comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I came across Heulwen by chance, and after spending my week cycling in the mountains this really was a treat to arrive to a comfortable, beautiful en suite. I felt very welcome upon arrival, had a cozy night's sleep and woke up to a great breakfast in a colourful dining room and a friendly atmosphere. I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd treat my poor body to another night here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newtown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed for one night and was warmly welcomed by the owners. Ensuite room provided was clean and well stocked with goodies (incl. hot drinks, iron, fridge, colour TV). Clean, quiet and comfortable bed. Guest house is well located - close to station, sandy beach (just opposite), a convenience store (for wine and sandwiches), the Tourist info centre and a nice pub called the Victoria Inn which do BBQ on the beach. Owners were friendly and gave helpful suggestions which I followed for shopping and eve meal. A choice of breakfasts was offered. I went for a typical Full English cooked breakfast with lots of toast & coffee. There is free wi-fi, free parking and the room rates were competitive. Cheaper here to stay than nearby Aber. A bit hard to find - so look out for the station in Borth and a pub called the "Bosun's Call" and the TIC. Will definitely return to Borth again and stay at the Heulwen again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Heulwen really is a fantastic B&B, we stayed for a weekend and how pleasantly surprised we were. On arrival we had a warm and friendly welcome from Shirley and Fran, which was extended for the duration of our stay. We have stayed in numerous b&b’s but I have to say Heulwen really is the best one we have stayed in. The accommodation was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, and the breakfast was tasty an ample. We will certainly be returning here next time we have a short break in Borth. Certainly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

Lovely the lady who owns it is so friendly and warm
Very clean
breakfast is fabulous
She also does treatments
I go here few times a year very relaxing
My retreat highly recommend

• Stayed June 2012
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Despite the typically British downpour of rain during our three days, we had a great experience at Heulwen. Travelling with our daughter (17 months) does not allow for short cuts on the packing front. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find all area's covered for our daughter, including bedding, mini fridge for food storage as well as an array of toys to keep her entertained.
We had the family room, which can easily accomodate a family of three (or four with a baby/toddler) and is spacious, clean and comfortble. The separate bath and shower room was also plentiful in size and very clean. It is also exclusively for the use of the family room guests.
Food was very good - full english and toast on demand with all the trimmings - butter, etc.
Shirley and Francis were very welcoming and chatty and it seemed that nothing was too much trouble for them - even offered to dry our very wet clothing for us! They also boasted very good knwoledge of the local area to give ideas on things to do - especially helpful when young ones are in tow.
All in all, an enjoyable trip :-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sherborne, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Heulwen (sunshine) perfectly describes this bed and breakfast as whatever the weather outside; the sun is always shining inside this wonderful place. I have been incredibly fortunate in that circumstances have brought me to Borth 3 times over the past year, each time it felt like coming home. The warmth and hospitality provided by Shirley and Francis is like nothing I have experienced before.

What a wonderful base from which to explore the quirky offerings of Borth. Heulwen is perfectly located near to the stunning sea front, characterful pubs (a visit to the Friendship Inn is a must, as is the Victoria) and also a stones throw away from the train station – providing regular links into Aberystwyth. The room I stayed in was on the ground floor and was wonderfully cosy, colourful and comfortable. A bonus of this room is having access to the beautiful back garden – a wonderful suntrap. In addition to the relaxed atmosphere and delicious English breakfast, Shirley is also trained in a variety of holistic therapies. What a treat! I opted for some reflexology and reiki healing. Both were utterly incredible and I highly recommend you treat yourself during your stay here!

Louise from Dorset

Room Tip: The ground floor room is lovely, especially having access to the garden but the lilac room is a stun...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I must have stayed in over 30 Bed and Breakfasts over the past 5 years and I can safely say that none of them compare to Heulwen. The place oozes charm but not, as is so often the case, at the expense of cleanliness and comfort. Indeed, the rooms are immaculate and extremely well facilitated, two of which are blessed with sea views.
Shirley and Francis are wonderful. I have just come to end of my long stint at Heulwen and whilst it will by no means be last I feel very sad to be leaving such a fab place and such equally fab people! Borth is beautiful and would be so wherever you were to stay, but my experience of the area has been enhanced 10 fold by these cracking people and their quirky home.

Room Tip: Chose the lilac room which is huge, beautiful and blessed with stunning sea views!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Heulwen Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!