“Charming small resort on a lovely beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Azucar

You added Hotel Azucar to your Saves list
Hotel Azucar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Fed. Nautla-Poza Rica Km 83.5, Monte Gordo 93588, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Monte Gordo
Napa, CA
“Charming small resort on a lovely beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Just returned from a week at Azucar. Architecturally, the place is absolutely charming and interesting. All of the rooms have private thatched porches. The pool is small but beautiful. The food is the best in the area -- very tasty. The staff is terrific too - pleasant, helpful, on top of things. They have a library, which is charming too.

Also, it is just an hour away from El Tajin - a wonderful precolumbian ruin site. Huge pyramids, ball courts, dwellings, etc. Plus the added attraction of the Voladores -- pole dancers and musicians, who sail around a tall pole on ropes.

Only criticisms: no drawers to put clothes in the rooms, and inadequate lighting over one of our beds (but they gave us a lamp).

We will come again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I planned my 35th Birthday Celebration with 11 of my closest friends, and arranged for a 4 day get away, with all meals, music, and a even a pinata ceremony... and it was UNFORGETTABLE!
Hotel Azucar is a magical place. It's a little piece of paradise in the middle of nowhere. The rooms are clean, the food was the best, and the service was like none other. All the staff are so nice and accommodating to your every need at all times. All of us had the greatest boding experience because of all these elements combined and I will definitely be back to pamper myself again.
Rosando, head of staff, was the sweetest man who made sure everything was perfect and went beyond the call of duty please the guests for special request like: cds and special Tequila, etc...
There are plenty of activities to keep you happy and although the spa is no Caesar's Palace, it was clean and the massages were fantastic. During January, it rains a bit, but its never cold and I'm glad that we had the experience of rain and sun...it was just beautiful no matter what.

Stayed January 2009
icerine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a few days in the middle of the week in August. It was really quiet and relaxing! The room was spotless and the decor was fun and interesting. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The area around the hotel and the beach is not what you might expect if you are not familiar with what most of Mexico looks like beyond the Yucatan. I received a hot stone massage from the spa (or place where you can get spa services as it is really not fancy enough to be called a spa) next door and it was delightful and I was very relaxed, so much so I slept on the table for an hour afterwards. The food at the hotel is very tasty and we enjoyed every meal. For food outside of the hotel check out the friendly Taco Loco for lunch or the place across the street for dessert. I really enjoyed being away from the touristy part of Mexico and found the people in the area to be warm. My husband and I, love ALL of Mexico and we were very happy with this part of our vacation, Thanks Azucar!
P.S. Tajin is an absolute must!

• Liked — The relaxing beachy atmosphere!
  • Disliked — It is off a large road which is unsightly on the outside, but you have no idea once you are inside or we didn't anyway
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I'm a loyal Marriott Courtyard customer and In Mexico the Fiesta Hotel chain is my choice, so I was more than a little nervous about this place. It always seems that you dont quite get what you expect in Mexico hotels. But the fact that the hotel was very close to the company I was meeting with and my wife was along, I took the chance. The place was fantastic. The staff was very helpful and was very patient with my complete lack of Spanish.
We were planning on a few meals away from the hotel but it was so much fun eating there we never did. It felt like we were in a friends kitchen. Many thanks to Rosendo, Oswaldo, Juanpublo and Juan Jose for their great service during our stay. I dont remember the n ames of the cooks, but the made to order tortillas were unbelievable. Also thanks to Claudia, the general manager for her help in tracking down lost luggage and making all of our car arrangments. The area is very undeveloped, no Mcdonalds within a 100 miles, El Tajin lived up to its reputation and the ocean was warm. The sand is brown, which gives the water a dirty look but it is clean and very safe to swim in. June is very hot but the breeze coming off the ocean made it very comfortable. all in all a great time and we are already making plans to return. FYI the crab is better than Joe's stone crab and at 12.00 versus 120.00 we can finance our trip with the savings

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

I'll be brief and to the point: Azucar is the best hotel experience me and my wife have ever had.
Everything was absolutely perfect. Nice staff, great food, incredible rooms and atmosphere, extraordinary beach and scenery. I truly couldn't find one thing to criticize.
Yes it's close to the highway, but like one reviewer said, once you step into the lobby, you're a MILE away from everything.
Highly, highly recommended for anyone wishing for a relaxing getaway.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

I stayed in this beautiful hotel just yesterday, and I really want to let people to know that this hotel is a very nice place to spend your vacations.

I am mexican, and I have decided to write in English because I want international and national travelers to know about this place.

The Hotel Azucar is in the State of Veracruz, not in Veracruz city, and the Veracruz city is about three hours from this hotel; and yes, the hotel is just a few meters from the highway, but as soon as you get in the reception, you are in another world.

I have been in different countries and hotels, (europe, usa and mexico) and this is a very unique hotel. This is the kind of hotel were you just want to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

The decoration is beautiful, the people who work there are very nice and helpful, the food is delicious and cheap, the spa (wich is next to the hotel and very close) is very simple, but the service is the BEST I have ever tried. Actually the spa really let us surprised because is hard to find a good spa in Mexico. The best massage I have ever received was in a royal caribbean cruise, but the azucar hotel spa is much better, ask for patty. And it is not expensive.

I would really recomend this hotel for people who are not interested in night life or shopping. This hotel is for people who want to talk, relax and enyoy. And is a great place to go with your couple, or with your best friends.

Stayed May 2008
Tampico, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

Stayed at Azucar for 3 nights over a long weekend. After reading all the negative reviews, I was expecting the worse. Yes, it is not Cancun, but it's a nice secluded tropical resort. Yes, the water is ugly, but it's secluded. Yes, it's close to a major highway, I brought a fan to block out the noise. The rooms are rustic, but in a simple, nice way. My major complaint was the shower and the water temperature. It was either too hot or too cold. Since, this was a holiday weekend, I thought the prices were still too high for the room. I would not go back, unless I could get a better rate. It would have been nice, if breakfast was included or if a coffee pot was in the rooms, The restaurant was great. Cheap prices, great shrimp. The staff was wonderful. It's a great place to stay if you're visiting El Tajin, it's about 30 minutes, Over all, a nice, relaxing weekend.

• Liked — beautiful tropical rustic setting
  • Disliked — too close to highway, you can hear the traffic
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Azucar? Share your experiences!