“Splendid with premium prices and without soul” 3 of 5 stars

Splendid Conference & Spa Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Becici, Budva bb, Becici 85315, Montenegro   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Becici
Lasko, Slovenia
“Splendid with premium prices and without soul”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I visited that place in relation to business meeting. Hotel is extremely big and I would compare it with a super cruiser parked on the beach in Becici. Do I like that? Personally I do not like it as I much more prefer to stay in a bit smaller hotels where you can receive that extra charm and personal contact with hosts and receive smiles. Hotel is therefore quite un-personal and you just feel that you are one among many people who they want to extract money. First about good things.

- Rooms are very big, spacious and super clean by all standards.
- Pillows are super fresh and there is no funny smells from previous visitors. I just wanted to try to find any bad things in my room but I did not. Cleaning service is doing extra special work.
- I was also amazed about the food at the hotel as this was the richest variety of food I ever experienced on any hotel around the world. Food quality is good and surely above average. Balkans is surely very much known about culinary delights.

Cons:
- at special times hotel dining place is overcrowded as it is so big. So be advised that you go to
breakfast early or late and you will be fine. Rush hour around 9am is the worst.
- dining room is so big that some times you will need to walk 50 or more meters to reach the food.
- there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms. This is the thing that should be available in 5* hotels.
- ridiculous high prices of room service,
- ridiculous high prices of regular sandwiches, snacks, burgers etc.
- ridiculous high prices of beverage and snacks in the mini bar. I traveled many places but like e.g. 4,5EUR for small bottle of coca cola is way too much. 3EUR for 2dcl of small bottle of local water. Come on? Therefore I decided to avoid to purchase any service and beverage at the hotel. It was not only me that I feel raped with the prices the hotel offers. When I see greedy prices I just can not recommend that hotel for my friends or future standing or future organization of meetings.
- Only wired connection is possible in room but be aware you will pay for that premium too. 10EUR for 24 hours. That is way overpriced. In the age of Internet and high speed connection this kind of service needs to be free of charge. There is a free internet access but you need to go to the common areas, conference area or lobby.
- high prices if you like to watch movies, but as usual I do not use that service as I do not come to hotels to watch TV or movies,
- there are also notices on many places in the room about how to behave in the hotel and that sanctions can be taken towards guests if rules are not respected e.g. walking in the bathrobe in the hotel, don't bring drinks from outside to the room. This is a little bit rude towards the guests who are paying premium prices. Are the guests of this hotel not educated enough that they need lessons?

Overall I sensed that this hotel is constructed for special type of guests that like super big resorts, guests that don't ask about the prices and pay whatever it is written in the price menu. Look who are the most common guests in Budva and you will get an answer. But I do not have anything against these guests as they are just special type of guests that demands special services and sometimes premium set prices are a +.

All in all I would conclude "thank you for staying and good bye".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MontenegroStars, General Manager at Splendid Conference & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for having shared your recent stay at the Splendid Conference and Spa Resort on Tripadvisor. We were pleased to learn you enjoyed our services. We highly appreciate your constructive feed-back. We try very hard to provide appropriate service for ALL of our guests. Therefore, we will review everything in order to improve our performance. The Wi-Fi in the rooms is our next objective towards satisfaction of our guests.
We thank you once more and look forward receiving you in the future
Sincerely yours, Mirjana Mrkalj, General Manager.

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Some negatives that really bothered me:

-no wifi in rooms, even that you could pay for. They had Internet on the TV but it was terrible and completely unhelpful for the work I need to get done on my laptop.

-no shop to get necessities and bottles of water. I like to keep a large bottle of water at all times and I had to walk down the street to get this

- very high prices for dry cleaning, food, room services etc

All that said, the room price was great given the quality of the rooms and common spaces. Given the lack of high end hotels in Montenegro this is among the best. Definitely at least four star quality by western standards. But if there were decent competitors I would have given three stars.

• Stayed May 2013
MontenegroStars, General Manager at Splendid Conference & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We value all our clients' comments as they help us to improve our services.
Therefore, we will keep a closer look at the mentioned remarks. At the moment, free Wi-Fi is available only in the public areas, but we hope that we will be able to introduce it in the rooms as well.
We thank you once more and look forward to welcoming you in our hotel in the future.
Sincerely yours, Mirjana Mrkalj General Manager
Podgorica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Somehow I always forget to write a review of the hotel that I have been at so many times before, both on business and on vacation. Being from Montenegro, and having been at so many hotels in it, I believe that I can be trusted if I say that this is definitely the best hotel in Montenegro.
Standard rooms are great, spacious, clean and furnished in beautiful beige wood and warm tones, beds are amazingly comfortable, with spotlessly clean bedding. Each room that I have been at so far had a balcony with pool and side sea view, and I found it very convenient and nice.There is a fantastic marble bathroom in each standard room (believe me, this "standard" is equal to "superior" or "de luxe" in most other hotels throughout the world that I have been to) with both sunken bath and a shower in it. Of course, towels are spotlessly clean and bathrobes and slippers are provided. The only thing that I found somewhat bizzare was a semi-glass wall that separates the batroom from the room - you can see it if you remove the curtain in the room, and I was explained that it was made in ordar for the guests to be able to watch TV while being in the bathtub. I haven't tried that to be honest, but it is strange that the curtain is actually operated from the room and not from the bathroom, which is not very convenient if you are with children there, I guess, as they can remove it at any time and see whatever it is that you are doing in the bathroom.
I was very happy with the service, perhaps because I am local and speak Montenegrin. I noticed that the level of the knowledge of English among staff could be better, although they all seem to have mastered Russian well, probably due to a great number of Russian guests coming there. Food was delicious, in fact it is constantly good.
Spa centre is simply amazing, as well as their conference facilities, which I have used even on this occassion. Above all, there is an amazing hotel beach, long, sandy and well maintained, which is a part of Becici beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in Montenegro. All in all, this is an amazing hotel that I always look forward to going back to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
MontenegroStars, General Manager at Splendid Conference & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor and for the time you dedicated to us.
It is a pleasure for the hotel's personnel to learn that our clients enjoyed their stay.
We hope to welcome you in our hotel on many more occasions.
Sincerely yours, Mirjana Mrkalj General Manager
Split, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is impressive, large and situated right on the beach.
Stayed there for the New Year's package 2012/2013.
Services great (some waiting but the hotel was packed so no issues about it), food also great - liked the great breakfast choice.
The wi-fi does not work in the rooms but does in other guest areas.
Smoking is allowed in the lobby of the hotel.
Pool area great (indoor and outdoor, can spend the whole day there).
It is a bit away from the city center (Budva) but the taxis are so cheap there that we were using them all the time back and forth the city,
Prices are a bit high for the stay, but try to watch for some special promos, our package included 3 nights in double room + breakfast and the cost was 210 EUR per pax for the three nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the splendid hotel last week with our kids aged 2 and 1. we were a little concerned about the comments we had read about the staff not being very nice - but in fact we had completely the opposite experience. the girls at the front desk were lovely and even allowed our two year old to "work" with them in the afternoons. the concierge was very helpful with everything we needed, and helping to organise our trips during the day. and we couldn't have asked for better restaurant staff who were very attentive to the kids and were very patient with them. I had one spa treatment which was surprisingly fantastic. while the main restaurant was not so aesthetically pleasing, the food was very good. the indoor pool facilities are fantastic, and again, great for the little ones. and the kids castle was perfect to stop in for some play time - milana is fantastic! we stayed for five nights and since there is only so much two little ones can handle during the day, we spent quite a bit of time at the hotel and can recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MontenegroStars, Public Relations Manager at Splendid Conference & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear c g,
We would like to thank you for having shared your review on TripAdvisor .
Your feedback is very important to us. Our team was happy to find out that our efforts have been appreciated and remembered.
We hope to welcome you again in our hotel.
Splendid Conference & SPA Resort
Tirana, Albania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

i was at Splendid for the new year 2013, we stayed there for 3 nights. When we left i forgot a box with some jewellery in the case. Because of some personal issues i couldn`t get them before march. It was freally disappointing for me to notice that 2 Swarovski necklaces where missing. The hotel was nice even though overpriced in my opinion but after this experience i will not go back. It is not safe and not serious also!

Room Tip: do not forget anything there! You will never be sure to get it back!
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Riga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Have to say that this is one nice hotel. Fantastic view to the Adriatic Sea, it also has nice pool and SPA. Nice restaurant with nice choice of different food starting from vegetarian till heavy meat eaters (only if you come late, everything might get coldish).
The hotel is typical Resort hotel.
Be aware that you can not take any food or drinks to the hotel. You will be stopped even if you buy some souvenirs from outside (wine or beer or something else).
Other thing is that you can smoke almost everywhere. There is a little island in the middle of reception where you can't smoke but it does not help if everyone smokes around that area. Though, you can also feel that someone had a cigarette in almost every room.
Service is another story. Some of the waiters are very friendly but most of the staff really don't care about you. Smile is something you should not expect in most cases.
Generally hotel is nice. For the resort I would prefer to go to Croatia or Turkey.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the view to the Adriatic sea
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Splendid Conference & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!