“Interesting and enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Fernando
The Royal Hotel
You added The Royal Hotel to your Saves list
46-54 Royal Road, San Fernando, Trinidad   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in San Fernando
Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
“Interesting and enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was just shy of a week stay at the Royal Hotel. The price of the room included the continental breakfast. The rooms were a good size with ceramic flooring. The washroom was very functional and there was a real door to the room. The extras were that they had soap, shampoo, water bottles, instant coffee/tea, an electric kettle and a refrigerator. The area for breakfast and other meals is a building with a high ceiling and very open area all the way around. We enjoyed the continential breakfast of fresh fruit, milk for the cereal and toast. We did eat a few suppers that were very good. The breeze was lovely.

The staff were very helpful and accommodating. You can ask for beach towels, etc and it is provided. I found it to be comfortable and clean.

there is an interesting walk up the hill a short distance behind the hotel. If you are into geocaching you will be able to locate.

Room Tip: This was a week stay at the Royal Hotel. The price of the room included the continental breakfast...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
St. John's, Antigua
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I spent about six days at this hotel accompanying my husband on a business trip, Like the other reviewers, the hotel is not one to shout home about, but it is clean and comfortable.

I found the staff very pleasant and helpful. Since I stayed in the room for long periods, whenever the cleaners came (and they came at reasonable times (mostly after 9'00), I would ask them to come back later and they gladly agreed,

Since I opted for the continental breakfast which is inncluded in the room fee, I am not in a possition to comment on the a la carte breakfast. The conttnental is neverthless very predictable and unnegotiable, You are served a plate of fruit -not bad- one glass of milk, a mini box of cerea, a mini glass of juicel and four slices of toast. You can self-serve tea or coffee and butter and jam.

The one time that I had dinner, it was ok.

Transportation to down town San Fernando is readily available just a few steps outside the hotel for less than US$1.00 one way and local food shops are within walking distance. (Roti, Shark and bakes, doubles etc.)

Room Tip: I did not like the location of the swimming pool so I did not use it. Not sure there is a fitness ce...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed for one night at the Royal Hotel on a recent business trip.
There is a decent reception with decent staff. Nothing to shout home about, but service was not too bad.
The room was down beside the road entrance area, and its a long walk back there during the rainy season!! BEWARE of the road noise with loud music in cars.
The room was very dated and full of cheap and old furnishings. The front door would only close with a slam, and had no draft excluders so geckos were a regular feature running into the room. The bathroom has a concertina door, which did not work properly hence you had to sit on the loo looking through the room. There was window vents in the bathroom which did not close and the bugs in here were quite bad.
Back to the room, and there was a door which connected to the next room and this was not very well insulated and every word spoken by next door was heard (they might have been loud speakers though).

I decided that its only for one night so its OK, and would go for a beer and food. The bar is very spartan, and not much to choose from. The food however was awesome and made the stay worthwhile. Try the local style shrimp curry, it is great. I always try a local dish from wherever in the world I am, and this one ranks right up there with the best.

Breakfast was a strange affair the next morning, with gourmet style presentation of sausage and eggs which I am not really convinced about. The coffee is good though, and the setting is really nice.

Would I stay here out of choice for a vacation: Probably not.
Would I stay here on a one night stopover on a business trip, probably yes but only because I am not paying.

Room Tip: Close to the pool, it is away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Fernando hotels

toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I normally don't take the time to review hotels despite being a seasoned traveller. However, I was so appalled by the service and staff at this hotel, that I felt compelled to comment. I have never encountered such a rude and disrespectful concierge (apparently she is the "accountant"). This raving lunatic has anger issues and unleashed her wrath when I queried the hotel bill. In the end it turned out to be the hotel's error. But no apology was offered. I was supposed to stay an extra two days but decided to check out and went instead to the Tradewinds Hotel not too far away (much better accommodation and the service their was professional). Additionally, the Royal has the most invasive housekeeping staff I have ever seen. Imagine a loud rapping sound on your door at 6:00am to clean the room and if you ask them to come back later, they act as though you are inconveniencing them. The next day it was 6:30am with the same request. In fact, housekeeping once came into the room when I was on the potty. Most embarrassing. Not all of the staff werer rude and obnoxious, there were a few who were quite nice. The rooms had unattractive cheap furnishings and equal to a one star drive-in motel. Yet the cost is that of a three star. The best thing about this hotel was the pool and free wii-fi. The main eating area with its high ceiling and water fountain was also quite lovely. Overall, my advice is, don't ignore the bad reviews about this hotel. There's a reason why people are posting them. I read the reviews about this hotel prior to booking. I e-mailed the hotel with my concerns, especially the safety issues posted by another user. The hotel assured me it was a safe place, however, I did not see any security and anyone could enter the premises at any time of night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my family recently. First off, they placed us in a room that was recently painted so the paint fumes was overwhelming. And by the next morning we asked to be moved. On top of that, the maintenance staff woke us up at around 6 a.m. with their constant chatter and noise. We managed to get about a few hours sleep since we checked in very late the night before. The rooms were very basic (more in line with a motel rather than a hotel). The cost to stay is above and beyond the quality of service and decor one would expect. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this one doesn't even compare when you consider the location, price point and level of service.

One of the most annoying things was that the housekeeping staff would just barge into your room during their shift even though you are in the room. They came in when I was in the shower and they also came in when my sister was in the bathroom. It would have been handy if they had a "do not disturb" sign but none was provided.

I found the staff rude, intrusive and down right unprofessional. The security staff allowed anyone to enter the premises without even stopping to check to see if they were staying there.
We decided to leave after a few nights and found a better hotel a few minutes away called the "Tradewinds Hotel" which I highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed @ this hotel early part of August for 4 nights together with 2 other family members. Due to substantially delayed flight we checked in around 3:00 am and had to pay for an extra day. Service was okay by housekeeping staff, servers BUT NOT front desk staff/management. The pool was unavailable and under repairs for our entire stay which was a downer since we requested a room near the pool in advance (on booking) which we got BUT but NO use of the pool. Disappointed, we understood that pool needs maintenance and should have been told in advance of booking. We made several request to management to provide us maybe with a free meal or a possible credit in lieu of the inconvenience. Nothing was done, we kept getting answers like "it is out of our control, their is nothing we can do, we will speak to the person in charge and get back to you" etc....

We checked out without an answer or apology for the inconvenience. In my opinion RHotel needs to improve on their customer service policies ASAP in order to avoid bad reviews which could definitely hurt their business. D.

Room Tip: Please find out prior to booking if the pool will be available for use
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I moved to this hotel the second week of my business activity in Trinidad and was greeted by very friendly staff, a very charming hotel with the open air concept of what a Caribbean Hotel should look like. Turn of the century ambiance with the main building structure located on nice grounds. Dining room and bar great, pool was right out of our doorstep, rooms were very clean and OK in size with all ammenities we would expect back home. Appeared to be a hotel that is well used by business people from abroad, church groups etc. The dining room meals were very good with a wide selection of different tastes. Used Sunny the taxi driver that the hotel has secured to go to the mall and a bit of sightseeing on the weekend...very dependable and safe driver! Much like the rest of Trinidad though it is not advisable to wander out at nights on yor own.

Room Tip: ground floor is best if you wish to access the pool during the day, but then if you want to sit on y...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!