“Superb hotel in summer and winter” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Le Cassini to your Saves list
Hotel Le Cassini
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38142 Le Freney d'Oisans, France   |
Haarlem, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Superb hotel in summer and winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed here in summer and winter time, it's a great spot in the winter, close enough to Alpe d'Hûez and les2Alpes to drive there every day in winter-time and far away enough to be out of the crazy crowds. In the summer we loved the little river just behind the hotel and the nummerous trails and great views.We especially loved the cuisine, very delightful and a lot of variation, there is a great chef and the service is fine.The rooms are all renovated! We'll definetly come back to enjoy the good beds, cozy rooms, nice food and the hospitallity of the owners.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

For hikers, bikers and skiers great location on the outskirts of ugly Les 2 Alpes and even uglier Alpe d'Huez. Far better option than the sad, old hotels in Bourg d'Oisans.
Peacefully located in authentic small alpine village.
The hotel is recently refurbished and renovated, very comfortable beds, good food, spotless rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is not a luxury hotel and it is a 15min drive to les 2 alpes. If you're ok with those 2 factors, this place is absolutely charming. It is a small hotel in a quiet town run by lovely couple who obviously work hard and take pride in their establishment. Rooms are spotlessly clean and the meals were surprisingly fantastic!!! (4 course dinners and one of the owners went to culinary school) They will shuttle you to the ski resort at 9am, which has you on the slopes by 9:30. Have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world - for sheer likeablity and value, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

My husband and I drove 5 hours to spend one night near Alp d'huez so he could climb it on his bike. We were blessed in finding this hotel on-line. We had the best meal at Le Cassini our entire 12 day trip. We were envious of the simple lifestyle in Le Freney d'Oisans. We were overwhelmed with the friendliness and at home feel we were treated with and received. If you are within driving distance of Le Cassini, go!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Hampton Wick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

We have used this hotel as a base for ski holidays with our children three times now. What works for us is that we can afford to stay here without being garrotted financially by staying in the resort hotels of Les Deux Alpes or Alpe d’Huez. The hotel has a winter rate, end of story. The price does not whoosh up to profit from hapless parents who have fixed school holiday dates. Also they are quite happy to accommodate you for short stays, and do not insist on Saturday to Saturday stays as most resort hotels do.

I have to disagree that the drive up to the resort is treacherous. Both Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d’Huez are firmly on the tourist map and as such have good access. No double lane highways, granted, but one has to remember that ski resorts are up mountains, so no surprise that the roads are relatively steep and winding. My only advice on this issue would be to avoid peak times when the roads are busiest. The owners do run a minibus service – we do not use it as we are far too disorganized to be ready on time in the morning – but I have seen other hotel guests use it.

Remember this is a two star hotel; the accommodation is comfortable and adequate, not plush. We’ve always have lashings of hot water on tap. Heating may be turned down/off during the day, but the radiators respond instantly and the bedrooms are toasty in no time at all. Seems to make sense - why contribute to global warming by heating rooms unnecessarily?

We enjoy the food. Dirk takes pride in his cooking and while some of the dishes may be a little adult for a junior palate, my youngest has on occasion managed with a simple plate of ham, salad and French bread in these situations, which Dirk has been happy to offer, followed by ice-cream. (The fondue night is always anticipated with great excitement).

Based on the adage “you get what you pay for” – I would say that you actually get a little more. We will return to Le Cassini.

• Liked — Reasonable rates, good food, convenient to several ski resorts
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

We booked a 4 day stay at this hotel full of expectations of a lovely family ski trip. Unfortunately we were seriously disappointed and this trip turned into what might be described as a holiday from hell!

On arrival we were very disappointed with the location of the hotel. Although the hotel is advertised as being in a "pleasant village" and only a short journey into Les Deux Alpes, this is not true. The village of Le Freney is deserted, with absolutely nothing to do and is a good 20 minute drive up a treacherous road into the town of Les Deux Alpes. Buses run rarely up to the resort, one every few hours if you are lucky.

We booked 2 rooms, one "standard" room for our 2 boys and one "superior" room for my partner and myself. The rooms are very basic, to say the least. The rooms were draughty, water pressure in the showers hopeless, the beds lumpy and uncomfortable (singles only so couples don’t expect a double bed - we asked in advance for a double bed and this request remained ignored and unanswered).

If you turn the heating in your room up and then leave the room be aware that the owners will go in and turn the radiators off ASAP! This doesn’t exactly make for a welcome return after a long day on the slopes.

Because we are a family of 4 we booked our room on a half board basis, our boys have big appetites so this always helps the purse strings!

The breakfasts are good (nice continental breakfast - probably the only good thing about this hotel) but for the evening meal when you arrive at your table you will be handed a menu, I don't know why because there is absolutely no choice. You have to eat what they provide; there is one choice of starter, main meal and desert. Unfortunately for us my husband is a vegetarian and my children (like most kids) are not keen on food with rich sauces. They like simple child friendly dishes.

On our first evening my husband and children had to go hungry because the starter was a duck salad and the main course a steak. On our second day we decided to eat out but on the afternoon of our third day we were snowed in so I very politely asked if there could be a vegetarian option provided for my husband and kids. At this the 2 owners of the hotel quickly became incredibly hostile and rude. They point blank refused to make us any alternative meals. I was informed that as this was a 2 * hotel we would not be offered a choice of food, they had only limited pots and pans and limited ingredients. I offered some simple suggestions for the kids; garlic bread or scrambled eggs. The owners were very, very rude, made several sarcastic comments, I was told if we wanted an alternative meal we should get in our car and drive elsewhere (since we were snowed in this was a comment designed only to offend). I asked the man to leave us alone and my husband I sat and tried to think what to do, being snowed in - in a deserted village with a hotel who would not prepare any food my family could eat was rather stressful and upsetting. Eventually the chef came out and offered to make us a vegetarian alternative. It was a good gesture but it really should not have required such a horrible experience simply to get some basic food for my family.

The next few days were fairly uneventful aside from being given a 'row' from one of the owners for leaving the front door open (we hadn't - it was another guest who had done so).

On our last morning I was loading up the car and a leaking pipe had dripped water onto the pavement outside the hotel turning it into black ice. I slipped and fell and twisted my back and so went inside to tell the owners that there was dangerous ice on the pavement - I was told that this was "nature" and I was "living in the Country now" so it was to be "expected". Needless to say I was glad to leave and shall never again return.

• Liked — the breakfasts
  • Disliked — the lack of choice for evening meals, the incredible rude owners
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Le Cassini? Share your experiences!