I have stayed at Surfside several times since 2010, mostly with a boyfriend and a few times with my family, and it has become my go-to place of accommodation when I visit Tobago. The place is by no means perfect, but I think for the rate per night that I pay, the value for me is great. I don't expect to pay a pauper's price for a Prince's palace.
- Pool: this is THE MAIN reason I love staying here. There are few places to stay in Tobago that are this cheap and offer two pools. Seriously, if they didn't have their pools, or if they were to raise their prices, I would be finding other places to stay. The pools are big enough but if you are staying at a time with lots of other visitors, clearly you'll have to share or wait.
- Location: like most mentioned, the location is great! It is right along the main road and transport is easy to get from here. Plus it's walking distance from Store Bay and Pigeon Point. It's right opposite a pizza place and a grill place, also the last time I went there was an ice-cream parlour too. The grocery is also just a taxi away. Perfect!
- Cleanliness: yes, do not be fooled, this establishment is OLD! That being said, of all the rooms I've stayed in, they have all been clean and tidy and the maid service tidies up the room daily, which is nice.
- Cable TV, A/C: both work, although the last time I stayed, only a few channels were accessible in my room. Also had trouble with the A/C some time but we told the manager who promptly sent someone up to fix it so all was well.
- Kitchenette: we have always found all we need viz kitchenwares. There are some rooms with old stuff that should be replaced though e.g. rusty graters and broken mugs. These we just don't use. The fridge and stove work fine as we always make a cook when we're there.
- Appliances: Not everything works in the rooms. In some rooms, the oven works fine for baking, in others, the oven is rusty looking so I don't bother risk my health.
- The hot and cold doesn't work in every room. Some of them have to be tampered with quite a bit to get it to work properly and yes, bathing in cold water can be quite a bother. The toilets have always been clean and functioning.
- Service: the manager seems quite bipolar to me. At times he is pleasant and welcoming, at other times, indifferent and grave. But that's by the by. Whenever we had an issue it was solved. One time my sister arrived early (around 11am) and they let her check in and enter her apartment even though it was long before official check in time (2pm). The receptionist and cleaners are pleasant enough and know us as somewhat regular costumers by now and so we have a sense of familiarity with them, which is nice and welcoming.
All in all, I work with what I get with Surfside. I have never had a horrible experience yet and it's mainly because I know what to expect with them, a clean comfortable room with the basic necessities, but I always have a plan B in terms of meals etc. So I will recommend it to others but with a warning that it is old, everything may not be functioning, and it is only equipped with the basics, but if you're looking for a cheap, ideally located, clean humble room (with pools) then this is the place to be.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.