“Great holiday” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Crown Point, Tobago   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
“Great holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed at the Coco Reef Hotel with my boyfriend for one week (9-16 July '14) on a bed & breakfast basis. The greeting at the hotel was great, a staff member took our bags for us and we were given a welcome drink which was great after the long queues at the airport!

The hotel was fairly quiet for most of our stay, I assume this is because it was the rainy season, although we only experienced one rainy day (but quite a few rainy nights!) Other guests at the hotel were also from the UK, and some were from the USA and a few Trinidadians over the weekend. I felt that the breakfast catered to the Americans as everything was extremely sweet. There was a lot of choice, from fruit, cereals, breads, pastries and yoghurts to hot food such as bacon, sausages, beans, salt fish and eggs. I stuck to cereal and yoghurt as these were not overly sweet. I also had an omelette, it was delicious! The staff were extremely attentive and were able to provide you with anything you needed/wanted.

The grounds of the hotel are really lovely, very lush and green with some lovely trees and exotic plants. The private beach was fantastic, there were plenty of sunbeds to choose from either on the beach or by the pool. The pool is fairly small but I imagine this is because the majority of people prefer to swim in the sea. Contrary to a previous post below I found the pool to be very clean, the water was completely clear and very safe to swim in. I found the sea water a little slimy; I think this is due to the wall that has been built to protect the bay preventing a natural tide. It's not a big problem though, I still enjoyed swimming in the sea on the private beach.

Our room was exactly as the Coco Reef website presents it: wicker furniture with some slightly chintzy curtains and soft furnishings. The soft furnishings could do with an update as they look like something from the 90s! However, the room was perfectly clean and had everything we needed; a fridge, TV with lots of channels (no UK channels unfortunately, all American!), a huge and amazingly comfortable bed, a safe for our valuables, air conditioning. The bathroom was bigger than expected and had everything you'd need in a bathroom. The highlight was definitely the bed, I have never slept in such an enormous and fantastically comfortable bed. I wish I could have one at home!

We had one evening meal in the restaurant which was very nice, however quite expensive. It was nice to eat in the hotel one night but if you are staying on a bed & breakfast basis I'd suggest going to the restaurants in the surrounding area, very good value and delicious.

In all, we had a fantastic trip to Tobago and a lovely stay at Coco Reef. I felt the hotel was good value for money and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
San Fernando, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My family and I stayed 4 days and was quite pleased with the hospitality of the staff and the menus were good. The beach was quite calm, hardly any waves because of the enclosed area. Kayaks and snorkeling were available and a few fishes could be seen especially further to the rocks ranging in blue to yellow and black.

ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Beautiful island where you feel welcome and safe. On our return visit we felt we were given a VIP welcome, private check in, champagne, flowers, fruit and wine in our room. The staff treated us like family.
The food was excellent, praise to the chef and kitchen is well deserved.The bar/waiting staff were helpful and polite. Our room was kept very clean and tidy.
The private beach had plenty of sun beds with the bar staff making sure you did not want for anything.
Once again a super holiday we hope to see you all again next year.
Many thanks to Eric and Staff
THE JAMES SUITE.

Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

On our first visit to Coco Reef, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted at the hotel lobby exiting our taxi by one of the staff members who offered to take our bags and escorted us to the check-in counter. We were offered a delicious smoothie to drink and were efficiently checked-in and taken to our room. The grounds and beach were fantastic, as was the lounge area off the lobby with an enticing sea view. The service was always courteous and efficient. The only downside was an obvious need for updating the physical infrastructure - dated fixtures, scuffed tiles and tired looking pool.
Our 4 year old enjoyed chasing birds and butterflies in the flowering gardens, and the enclosed beach was very safe, and filled with all types of fish which swam among us all the time.
With a well-stocked buffet breakfast included in our rate, the hotel stay was certainly value for money.

Room Tip: We prefer the ground floor rooms which are more easily accessible and still had a decent view of the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed at Coco Reef for 2 nights a couple of weeks ago and had a mixed experience. The setting and grounds are beautiful and we loved the private lagoon. However, there were also some negatives - the bathroom in our room could do with updating, the under sheet on the bed was very thick and on the first night we noticed it smelt a bit damp and by the second night it had worsened into a very unpleasant smell (not sure why such a thick sheet is even needed in the tropics), and the food in the main restaurant was very disappointing - we didn't dare attempt it again on our second night. Service was efficient and courteous, but not particularly friendly - a few more smiles from the staff would have made the service warmer. Overall, we had a good stay, as we enjoyed relaxing on the beach and the grounds really are stunning, but apart from those things, we don't think the hotel had much to offer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We went to Coco Reef last year so knew what to expect, but this year we took my uncle so that made us a party of 7,5 adults and 2 children aged 6 & 8.
We had a great flight with Monarch and arrived to find our taxi pre ordered with the hotel waiting, within 5 minutes we were having a private champagne check in.

When we had finished our cases were taken to our rooms, our rooms had a personalised door plack with our name and suite on it, a lovely touch.

The rooms were clean and tidy with fresh flowers, fruit basket, wine and a welcome message on the bed made with leaves and flowers.

We unpacked then went for food we had been checked into the amazing restaurant and found a menu saying welcome back, the food for the whole 2 weeks was fabulous.

Gary normally looked after us at night and we had lots of fun with him, he never knew what the soufflé was (which are a must) so we always teased him. But always went out of his way to make sure we were all ok.

All the staff are great and it would take to long time to list all of them but a special thank you to Gary, Nikita,Lawson, Roshan, sorry the his name escapes me but the gentleman who worked the bar in Bobsters most nights, serving us drinks to perfection. Curtan the food service manager and Erik the General Manager.

The beach is always clean and plenty of sun loungers available.
The drinks are always cold and are bought down the beach so you don't have to move, also fruit kebabs are bought to you.

The room was always clean,with a turn down service at night so there was always clean towels and the sand was always removed.

We love the character and the friendly atmosphere here as you can do as much or as little as you want.
Another amazing holiday made so by the wonderful, friendly staff who will always willing to help you at Coco Reef, all being well hoping to return again next year...

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I am never disappointed with my visits to Coco Reef. The staff are so great and welcoming that I feel as if I am going to stay with friends. I particularly like the all inclusive package so I don't have to worry what my bill is going to look like at the end of the stay. Seeing some of the comments admittedly some of the areas in the hotel are looking a bit tired and could do with a spruce up but the overall experience is worth the visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view at the front.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!