“Wonderful and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Crown Point
Surrey
“Wonderful and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Loved this hotel, the location, the service, the food, the room is everything you want from a Caribbean holiday. We came to relax and enjoy each others company which is exactly what this hotel allowed us to do.
We had a beautiful sea view room which was beautifully decorated and clean. The choice of two evening restaurants gives you the opportunity to go out for a casual buffet meal or dress up for the a la carte restaurant. The staff bring you cocktails on the beach and take drinks orders without you leaving the sunbed. The beach is quiet and the sea is calm.
The hotel looks after everyone really well and I look forward to returning

969 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Mixture of good and bad! Maybe three and a half stars is more appropriate.
Rooms are very big, some have two kingsize beds in, all have room for them. Rooms fine, but a little tired as with many caribbean hotels. WARNING!! If you are offered rooms 500 to 506 or 600 to 606, REFUSE unless you are an extremely sound sleeper. They are in a separate block that fronts onto the dogrun of a neighbouring property, and the rooms don't have double glazing. The dogs howled all night some nights. Complaints to the hotel received little action, and full occupancy meant we couldn't be moved. Apparently, it's been a problem for years, in which case they've had time to sort out a solution.
There are a number of restaurants and bars, all very pleasant, and the beach bar is a greast place for lunch and food varies from ordinary to very good - different chefs? Food is a bit repetetive. Service is ok - some try hard and don't quite make it but smile. Others seem disinterested. T
Transfer from the airport is just 5 mins =- you could walk! Yet there are no noises from aircraft.
Hotel is a stroll from nearby bars etc, but you wouldn't choose to eat in most of them.
Beach is in a private lagoon with a man made sea break forming a reef. This is the big win. For over a week, a high swell meant you couldn't swim on most beaches, with red flags up. But at coco reef, even the kids could swim in total safety. The snorkeling on the "reef" is suprisingly good too, with parrot fish, pipe fish, sergeant majors (of course!) and many others I can't name. If you can't swim, you can walk up, put your face in the water and see them! In clement weather, nearby beaches offer better snorkeling over abundant live coral, but the hotel is an easy option.
Caribbean prices at the hotel mean it's worth going all inclusive or at least half board, especially as eating out options are limited (as they are at all Tobago hotels)
Having looked at most hotels on the island while I was there, I'd choose the coco reef again for a mix of goodish food, nice surroundings and guaranteed snorkeling - But WATCH THOSE ROOMS!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel has a colonial charm, and is in a wonderful setting. The beach is perfect for families with small children as the man made reef has made a lagoon which has a lot of shallow areas, although deeper by the main reef. Fish are easily seen in this lagoon and on the other side of the reef also.

We were on a B and B tarrif, and were pleasantly surprised by the breakfast which we found to be excellent with plenty of choice and professional friendly staff.

We also had a superior garden room, but we had a shower in the bath. The bed was a king sized bed and very comfortable, and the room was a good size. We had no problems with anything in this department.

I would give the hotel excellent, however the food in the evening was very expensive. This was no problem to us at all as we went out every night and enjoyed the local food. If you stay here La Cantina has excellent Pizzas cooked in a wood oven.

The island is wonderful and carhire is cheap. We spent a day travelling around the island. The people were so friendly.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. Ava, our travel rep was really helpful, and the deal we got through golden holidays was really good too. I would also recommend them as they were so helpful even though we booked only two days before travelling.

Lugano, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just back from our holiday in Trinidad and Tobago. We spent a few days in Coco Reef, we knew the hotel had a perfect location (I spent some days here many years ago), with a lovely beach and crystal clear water. That's all you get if you book a holiday here. We stayed in a superior double room with garden view. The room was large enough to accommodate me and my two teenaged children, but the condition of it was terrible! Old furniture, dim lights, an extremely small bathroom with no shower, just a bathtub with a curtain (!) and no place to put your stuff. The room doesn't have WIFI, you can only use internet in the hotel lobby.
Breakfast was poor, small selection of food, especially if you wish to stay on a healthy low fat diet.
We also had lunch, buffet style, which was not well displayed and again with an extremely small selection of fresh salads or healthy options other than burgers and fries.
Staff at the front desk were not helpfull at all, they didn't know how to help me find a restaurant for the evening and they were not able to sort any problem at all and they didn't make any effort whatsoever. I think I deserved more from a hotel that pride themself to be "the best resort in the caribbean" and especially after I spent 500usd per night for a superior room with garden view, breakfast included. I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view. The scenery is the only good thing of this place.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel itself is lovely, with old world colonial charm. The private beach is really beautiful and calm. The lobby area looks out to the beach and is open and welcoming. The restaurants are on balconies looking out to the beach, and the location is great. The rooms were plain, but nice. We had a nice welcome, with a complimentary cold drink, but the service pretty much went downhill from there. The breakfast buffet is quite good-- large selection of fruits, and breakfast foods, with okay coffee. But, the staff (and this was a repeated observation) seem like they were given a lesson on customer service, but had not really gotten hang of it. So, the service over all was a bit lax, and overly casual. Sadly, our worst experience came on our last day. I would not advise anyone to use Coco Reef's "spa" services. The spa itself is in a lovely, but remote and unused part of the hotel. The massage we scheduled was done by a complete unprofessional amateur! I have never had my eyelashes massaged in a deep tissue massage before. He was texting on his phone during my massage, and texted, and answered two phone calls (one to arrange his bus and taxi services, so pretty sure he's not a professional masseuse) during my husband's massage. The massages were supposed to last 55 minutes, mine lasted 30 minutes, my husband's lasted 45 minutes. It got worse when it came time to pay for these services. Firstly, they wanted us to pay the full price, even though we didn't receive the full 55 minutes. Then, as I am Trinidadian, they had told me the massages were $300TT each. But my husband, who is American, was told they were $75US each, and the brochure they showed us after the massages said they were $85US each. They gave us a bill for $170US i,e, $1020TT. When I protested that I had been told they were $300TT each, they asked if I had Trinidadian ID, which I did, and then I was given this Trinidadian price. They refused to reduce it based on the fact that we had not been served for the stated 55 minutes. So, we paid $600TT/$100US for both, almost half less than what they'd tried to charge us, for what was by any standards an appallingly poor massage and terrible lack of professionalism. It's also disturbing that foreigners are charged a significantly higher rate for the same awful service. So, would I stay at Coco Reef again? Maybe. If I wanted some place to be alone, and do nothing on the beach for several days, it's a very beautiful location. But, the service leaves much to be desired. And so, I'd be just as likely to try one of the other luxury resorts on the island. Whatever you do, don't expect too much service, and do not use their "spa"!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Coco Reef Resort and Spa in Tobago in March as it was my 65th birthday. The hotel is very near to the airport but we did not hear the planes at all. The hotel has a lovely colonial look to it and right on the beach with a good swimming for all ages. We had a Superior room which was a good size and very nice although in a little need of TLC. All the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. Tobago is a lovely green island and we took a day trip with a taxi driver "Alvin" who showed us all the villages and views. We would love to return and would recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to have a holiday with peace and quiet!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Just home today after an amazing 7 days at the Coco Reef! Excellent from start to finish, cannot really fault it! Yes the decor may be a little tired but it was barely noticeable when it very quickly became over shadowed by the great food, location & staff! I can see why the hotel has so many repeat visitors though sadly I won't be one of them as the world is now so small & accessible that it offers so many new places to try though I would definitely recommend Coco Reef & Tobago itself to anyone planning a Caribbean holiday

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!