“Worst Experience EVER!!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Crown Point, Tobago   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Crown Point
“Worst Experience EVER!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

It all began the moment we stepped foot in the hotel: Our rooms weren't ready. Our group of 6 had to split up - Fine, no problem; that's something that's expected during a busy time in any country. However one room had a leaking AC (which the caretakers had to replace a towel underneath daily) and a leaking tap and one had no telephone.
We were told that when we returned from the beach everything would be sorted out. It wasn't. We waited another hour in the lobby while they switched the beds in our rooms to make space for us to sleep. Still - we did not complain, we're not paying for a 5 star hotel anyway, but we at least hoped we were paying for rooms that could be locked when we left; in both rooms, the sliding back door DID NOT LOCK!!! When we reported this, we were told someone will be sent to look at it. And that's just what they did - look at it. Being all girls we sure felt safe!
When time to leave they had revoked their promise to accomodate us for a couple more hours until our flight left because it has seemed they had overbooked and were getting really busy (and confused). They had us walking back and forth with our luggage unable to figure out where to put us. When we finally did express some upset they decided since we had already paid them we were no long thier problem. We were left with no where to go. This is when we drew the line. When asked for some sort of help of compensation they refused us and stressed out my firend so much that she fainted, fell outside by herself and started vomitting. When asked to call an ambulance, they called the police instead...to get rid of us. The police officers laughed. If they didn't come I'm not sure if we would have been able to say another 30 min to care for our friend until she was able to walk. This was the scariest part; I have never experinced such heartlessness and non-professionalism.
I would like to mention however that the cleaning ladies were caring and helpful. There were also several workers who did extend thier sympathy and who could not do anything about thier manager's decision.
Some people may have had good stay, but I sure as heck didn't!!

Oh, and to top it all off, they phoned us in Canada to ask if we had taken thier beach towels!!!!

• Stayed April 2006

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

Found this website after I booked my stay at the tropikist and boy was I worried.

All the reviews had something to complain about, be it the rude management and staff, threats of violence, rooms left filthy, water not running, charged for tv, hotel looking like a demolition site, charged for towels, being charged extra on top of your all inclusive deal, food poisoning etc
Needless to say, my stomach turned over after paying a lot of money for an all inclusive deal, for two, at a hotel that's reputedly the 'Faulty Towers of the Caribbean'.
but.....

I found not all of what was said to be true.

My girlfriend (a really fussy japanese woman) and I got to know almost everyone at the hotel, from our short stay, by name and even went out to party with a few.

The food wasn't always great (burgers/hotdogs/flying fish sandwiches with fries for lunch.
Dinner: roast, stew, curry etc
Weekend: Buffet of freshly grilled fish, pork, beef or chicken), though a good effort was made for the weekend menu Strong on local flavours and produce.

They gave me a pool towel when I asked but they had to be in at reception by 6pm as the pools were closed at this hour.

We paid £7 for a safety locker and that was our only extra charge on top of our all-inclusive deal.

Breakfast is from 7 to 9 am with pancakes with maple syrup, omelettes made to order, some seriously crispy bacon, tomato choka (tomatoes with onion and garlic and a touch of chilli), fried plantain and other local food (including fruit and juices).
No food poisoning,but rather feeling more content. Hurrah!

All local drinks are free on all inclusive. If you want a Budwieser you can wait until you get back home or you will get charged extra. Besides, the local drinks (VAT 19 Rum, Carib, Stag, Old Oak etc) are all very addictive stuff and hit the spot when relaxing by the pool bar or after dinner.

There is a waterfall by the pool. It's aesthetically pleasing but don't swim around there. The fall creates a current and drags everything that's floating on top the water (flowers and insects) to that area.
The jacuzzi is well hidden and overlooks the ocean. The water is hot so try not to go in if you have been drinking. I learnt the hard way…nearly drowned.

The beach has sandy front. In the water there is coral which will cut you. Swim at Store Bay which is five minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel beach (or sun lounge) is designed to watch the most magnificent of sunsets.

The room had two double beds with a sliding glass patio door, overlooking the ocean, which is breathtaking to wake-up to in the morning.
Working air con, which could turn your room into an icebox within minutes when needed.
TV if you want it, with HBO cinema and other American and local channels.
The bathroom has a marble wash basin with a hot and cold shower and bath. The shower was hard to figure out as you had to pull a pin that is actually in the bath tap (where the water comes out to fill the bath) to get the shower working.

Everyday we would leave that room at tip and cover everything in sand and everyday someone cleared up our mess the moment we left the room. We started leaving the room worse and worse condition each day to see how they would cope, and they left our room spotless overtime.
I tipped no one, which I am now sorry for.

Most of the hotel grounds have to be washed with fresh water every other day otherwise things get sandy and rusty so, the hotel looked in good shape.

My one complaint is that the bar closed at 11pm, but the staff have to sleep at some time.

It works out close to £32 (each) a night without the flight and I have to say that’s value for money.

To the people who wrote a negative review:
I’m really sorry about what happened to you on your stay there and you do have the god given right to complain but there is always a solution to a problem if you explain to staff, with respect, your issue. It is not a five star hotel so don’t expect the world.
It easier for us to complain than to say good thing’s about what may have happened during our stay.
Again, I’m truly sorry but I had a great time.

I would recommend this place to people of a laid back nature and would know how to solve a situation should a problem arise.

Peace and Love
NaV.

• Stayed October 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

The Tropikist Hotel is set in a wonderful location, every room has a sea view. The gardens are beautifully manicured. The staff are friendly, although do not seem to have mastered customer liaison skills. The food is local and is well cooked. The menu lacked variety. The main fault with this hotel is there is hardly any night life, which is ok if you are going for a complete rest. The bar shuts between 10 and 11. The saving grace of The Tropikist is the restaurant manager, Selwyn. He is very friendly and helpful and is so eager to please. If you want anything, he will try his best to accommodate you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

We went to Tobago to celebrate my Mum's 60th birthday. We were five people staying at the hotel. Overall, our two weeks were just lovely.
Tropikist offered very nice front desk staff, a perfect pool area, clean beach towels and good beds. Do try the jacuzzi - it's hidden but has a gorgeous view.

The spa is also excellent: Pat Faraday is a gem. Do try her massage or have a great facial done!

The Tobagans were friendly and very easy-going and both Store Bay and Pigeon Point are nice beaches.

We can also recommend going with Islandman Tours on a full day boat trip. On the trip we caught kingfish and barracuda, spotted a turtle and had a wonderful afternoon, with great food, on the paradise beach of No Man's Land. You can meet Dexter at Dimple's chair rental on the beach in Store Bay. The captain of the boat, Barry, also runs the dive center at Tropikist. A very experienced and reliable guy. Give him a call - he's so cool!

Our room (#38) was flooded three times because of a problem with the toilet. We had to mop it up ourselves and my husband who is handy managed to temporarily stem the water each time. The plumber never showed up. After the third time we asked for another room. We were moved to (#82) the second floor where the airconditioner is so noisy it's not possible to have a conversation while it's on. Also, the water tanks and pumps on the roof rumble and groan very loudly intermittently from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry when we moved in. We bought earplugs and a big bottle of rum and settled in for the rest of our stay...

The restaurant manager was very eager to make us try the restaurant. We did. We were immensely disappointed. On our first night after 19 hours of travel we asked if there was any chance of having a sandwich or a light meal and they could not accomodate us. We were offered the buffet or nothing at all. The staff hardly looked at us, no less communicated with us. The food was drab, tasteless and really expensive. I felt like I was at Fawlty Towers! The signing of bills was like a religion - and when we found out a local beer was US 4 we felt utterly cheated (it's normally US 1-1,50 at restaurants). Finally, when we were checking out, the printer at the front desk had broken down so there was no summary of the room charges to review. We were adamant and asked to see the individual receipt slips. Lo and behold - a US 250 charge that wasn't ours! That receipt was not signed at all...

Have a lovely stay at Tropikist, but stay well away from the restaurant and bring your earplugs!

• Stayed February 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

Just wanted to let all those holiday seekers know that Tobago is a great holiday destination. What made it better was the hotel we stayed at. Tropikist Beach Hotel. I took my family there in January 2006. The hotel was splendid, the rooms were spacious, the food was great, especially dinner and the hotel staff were always friendly, ready to tend to our needs. The best part of it was the pool. My kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool, it was hard to get them to the beach. We definitely plan to go back to Tobago and stay at Tropikist hopefully some time in December. Keep up the good work Tropikist.

Regards
Frank Roberts.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2006

Just returned from a week's holiday at the Tropikist booked through Lastminute. My friend and I had a lovely time staying there. Yes, there were some glitches - you can't for instance get more than one room towel each for love nor money, but we felt that the pros by far outweighed the cons.

The location and layout of the hotel is very nice and easy on the eye. Our room was very large and had a sea view which was a bonus. The pool is surrounded by tropical plants and flowers and the grounds are well kept.

What the Tropikist suffers from is a lack of management. When we got there a new food and beverage manager had just started - Marcus - and in a week he had made a great improvement to the food and service. The breakfast is really good - local choices (eg salt fish and 'bake') as well as international food. Home made bread also features at breakfast and dinner. However, there is no general manager and Marcus had to cover all the guest's queries - he ended up giving us his own bedside lamp as our room only had one.

We found the staff friendly in the main - particularly the food hostesses, although as with quite a few Tobagans, some will only crack an unexpected smile quite far into a conversation. I should also mention that Pat at the beauty spa does a great massage.

I think the key to enjoying the Tropikist is that it's great value for money given it's location and facilities. It provides spacious rooms, a great breakfast and a really relaxing environment. I wouldn't recommend doing the all inclusive package though as there are a lot of superior restaurants near at hand - food there is OK but you wouldn't want to be tied to it every day.

• Stayed January 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

We went on our honeymoon and stayed at this hotel for one week. We wouldnt recommend it at all. Two girls at reception were really nice (one of them was new). We paid all inclusive but everything we wanted we were expected to pay extra. We asked for breakfast in bed one morning and were told that they were short staffed. Two minutes later they called us back and said that if we pay a bigger tip then they will deliver!! The sheets werent changed for two days and when we complained the sheets had just been turned over. The amount of signing we had to do was ridiculous everytime we wanted a drink or some food. The restaurant staff made us feel uncomfortable every time we asked for something, they all seemed unhappy until it was time to leave a tip. The air conditioning unit was sited by the lawn which when mowed during the day affected my husbands eyes and caused an infection. We would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!