“HOTEL OF HORRORS AND MISERY” 1 of 5 stars

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Crown Point, Tobago   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“HOTEL OF HORRORS AND MISERY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I travel to Tobago every year in either October or November. This is a tradition I have with my family ever since I was very little. In my adult years I have tried to vary the places I stay in Tobago so as to get various experiences in different types of accommodations. I must say that I rue the day I decided to stay at this establishment. It has been the single worst experience I have ever had in Tobago.

I stayed in this establishment in October 2012. The advertisement you see on the internet is very misleading. It paints a picture of a very tropical looking, pristine environment. This is a blatant misrepresentation of the reality which will meet you.

On arrival at the resort, I had to ask my cab driver if he was sure that this was the place called "Tropikist". The place looked like a hell hole from the onset. It was a collection of old buildings with moss and water stains on the walls. the reception area is in a small separate area from the accommodations and the person there in the afternoon was extremely cold and rude.

We were handed our keys and told that our rooms were on the second floor of an adjacent building. We were not offered any porter services (there is none at this establishment). The stairs to the second floor is an outdoor staircase and it is uncovered. It is tiled with very smooth tiles and it was very slippery as rain had fell. No one saw it fit to mop the staircase nor put a wet area sign. There is no convenient railings and I took one look at it and told my husband that I was very uncomfortable staying here. As I had travelled from the UK, I was a bit tired so I decided that I will just try to make the best of it.

As I entered our room I realised that it was average sized but that the lighting was not working. The television is outdated and could not come on till I called the reception to have assistance. I waited for half an hour and no one showed up. I then saw a young man fixing lights outside and asked him to help me. He informed me that the cable stations always gave problems and that it is out of their control sometimes. The odour in the rooms was somehow very fresh. As if the toilets were overflowing or there was some sort of sewage problem. I tried calling reception but no one was answering.

Later on the afternoon, there was some kind of rainfall with lightening. Because of the poor architectural design of the hotel, the balcony of our room started to flood and water began coming into the room. The electricity was then gone after some lightning and there was no back up generator at the hotel. So we were forced to remain in the dark. No one called or came to check on us to see if we were all right.

Around 7pm we were hot and very hungry. We decided to brave the rain and the slippery staircase to go to the reception to find out if the restaurant was open. As we arrived there we encountered the evening personnel having a shouting match with a guest. The guest was explaining that he wanted towels to prevent flooding in his room and she was shouting at him telling him that he needed to apologise to her before she handed him towels. I never saw anything like this in my life!! I was appalled at the lack of professionalism and service I was seeing. I was very afraid that the matter would escalate as the lady behind the counter was clearly provoking the guest. I casually tried to ask the evening personnel if the restaurant was open as we had not eaten since our long flight. Her response to me was that " if I thought she could see the restaurant from where she was". My husband and I who were already wet and cold decided we would venture further into the rain and across the long path to the restaurant.

The staff at the restaurant were actually very pleasant and tried to make the afternoon as pleasant as they could for us. There were other guests at the restaurant drinking and all talking about how mean the lady at reception was. Apparently she had run ins with quite a few guests.

The next day, the power returned. After a very uncomfortable night we just wanted to get breakfast (which was included in our package) and head to the beach. By the way the beach at the hotel is unsuitable for bathing so you need to take a taxi or walk to store bay or pigeon point. The breakfast buffet was extremely small and consisted of about 5 items in total. There was also a cook doing eggs. We asked him for poached eggs and he gave us an omelette. I really do not think he understood us. The omelette is the smallest I've ever seen in my life and he has no meat to add to it to you. I remarked to my husband that I felt like this was an "underprivileged" vacation I was having even though we paid good money for it. The breakfast did not change throughout our stay at the hotel.

I will not recommend this establishment to my worst enemy! I have seen many glowing reviews of it and I am led to believe that the owners or workers themselves are writing them because it is simply not true!!! This hotel is a lawsuit waiting to happen. It is old, outdated and a death trap. Avoid if you are elderly or have young children as it is a hazard waiting to happen.

After leaving this place I wrote an official letter of complaint to my travel agent and the tourism department of the Tobago government as I believe that they should clamp down on this false advertising. This place ought to be shut down.

Room Tip: All rooms are horrible and water penetrate the ceilings, doors, balconies. You are better off using...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I'll start by saying that I have no intention of writing a rambling & ultimately unhelpful review, but will aim to provide the real facts.

Firstly, as a general rule, do not even contemplate going to Tobago if you expect typical western standards of civilisation. The island is very unspoilt & to a large extent untouched by tourism - which is abundantly evident the moment you step off the aeroplane & into the arrivals hall. However this may be seen as a plus-point for some.

As for the hotel & how it is operated & run, I regret to say that it is a pretty shambolic affair. The tired looking building & guest rooms are in desperate need of a makeover. Anderson, the manager, whilst being a very affable & likeable guy really just seems to pay lip-service to the wants & needs of the guests. Yes, it is true that he makes an effort to put things right IF you shout and scream loud enough, which is what our eight-strong contingent of four separate couples did.

Following our showdown with Anderson in the first week of our two-week stay our group began to receive special treatment from almost all of the staff – many of whom were quite surly previously. We had a number of complaints during the meeting, but the main bone of contention was the quality & variety of the food, whether it be the breakfast, lunch or dinner menus.

There is a great deal more that could be said about the problems with the hotel, but I promised not to waffle on for too long. Suffice it to say that my partner & I (and the 10 or so others we met) would definitely not recommend The Tropikist hotel. It's possibly the cheapest all-inclusive option in Tobago, but you certainly get (or don't!) what you pay for.

Room Tip: The one saving grace was the marvelous view from our seaview room, so we would recommend requesting...
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

One of the best holidays for peace and relax. I went there in November so not when crowds of people and children. All very well maintained, stuff friendly, rooms clean every day, gorgeous views from balcony of just the ocean framed in palm trees (deluxe room).
About 15 minutes walk to Pigeon Point. The locals are very friendly and in some cases very persistant in 'helping' find deals. There are guide tours who will wear badge, they are the people who you want to go with for any trips. You can hire a car and have a tour around the Tobago island - I really recommend it as the views were spectacular!! It took just one day, from morning until late evening, to see the island, once again, it's worth it.
To enter the Pigeon Point beach you'll need to pay a fee and will get a hand band, however, if you're in need of your private place and want to just relax, lay on the beach? ... then there's a spot few yards before the 'crossing line' to the paid area and the place was amazing: empty, private with ocean at your feet and palm trees hanging over your head - for free!!!
Overall, fantastic holiday. I would return over there any time but the world has got so many places to discover.......

Room Tip: Room Deluxe is in the building by the ocean has got really big spacious rooms with king size beds in...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

On my first night of stay at this hotel there was rain which resulting in the rooms we were staying in to flood and when i went to the front desk i was told by one of the clerks a miss Lee Ann De vines that a manager had to give the OK for me to get TWO towels to put on the floor to stop the water from coming in,she instead wanted to give me two nasty USED towels which she put in my hands before i had the chance to refuse them,when i complained to her that i thought that was inappropriate of her to hand me dirty towels she accused me being rude and went to the back and showed me TWO clean towels that i would get only after I apologize to her.I didn't apologize but eventually got the towels after embarrassing her in-front other guest.The power also went that night ,THE IS NO BACK UP GENERATOR OR DISASTER PLANT(GOD HELP YOU)and no one came to let us know what was going one.THIS HOTEL IS NOT SAFE,Most of the common areas including the halls are exposed to the elements which result in the floors being EXTREMELY SLIPPERY WHEN WENT making it almost impossible to walk on,ALSO THERE ARE NO RAILINGS ON THE STAIRS an old woman even fell down and damage her foot.The FOOD IS AWFUL,THE QUALITY IS POOR AND A COCKROACH WAS IN MY DINNER THE ONLY NIGHT I DECIDED TO EAT THERE,before we discovered the roach my four year old nephew ate some of the food and was sick the entire following day,we almost had to take him to the hospital.The rooms smell like SEWAGE and are FILTHY, i even caught a cleaning staff member spraying my sheets with Lysol and when i asked her what she was doing,she said MANAGEMENT TOLD HER don't wash the sheets just spray it with Lysol.CARRY YOUR OWN TOWELS THE ONES THEY HAVE MIGHT AS WELL BE SAND PAPER.ALSO THE STAFF HAS NO PROBLEM OPENING THE DOORS TO YOUR ROOM WITHOUT KNOCKING,OR WAKING YOU UP AT EIGHT AM TO CLEAN OR GET SOMETHING FROM THE ROOM THESE THINGS ARE JUST A FEW OF THE THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO US ON THAT TRIP.NEVER STAY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: None of the rooms are good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

While the Bar tender and head chef were very nice, staff at the front desk were Disgusting! I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN! Trust me.... you are better off staying somewhere else with nicer staff who act in a timely manner, newer facilities and CLEAN TOILETS.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was my 1st time here and definiately not the last...Had an amazing weekend, felt really welcomed by everyone .Wanna say a special thank you to everyone that made my stay welcoming and comfortable especially Mr.Anderson ,Gary all the kitchen staff ,receptionist all nice people....I have no complaints , my room was clean , my food and drinks were great the pool awesome didnt wanna even leave to go out ... Good jobs guys keep up the great work. Gonna be back soon.... :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter...Room #58 just kool....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife & I just spent the weekend there & i remembered why i chose Tropikist in the first place. We had our honeymoon there and 5 years after we got the same great service & warm greetings that we received on our first trip. Thank you Mr. Anderson for your personal "hands on" management style, thank you to you & your staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!