“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

On this our second visit to Tobago, we decided to treat ourselves and stay at the Kariwak. From the word go, the staff worked their hardest to make sure we received not only a personal and friendly service, but one beyond our expectations.

The rooms are clean, friendly and just what you require. No TV but then if you book into a holistic health haven you don't expect one.. Bathroom just fine and lots of hot water.

Being able to walk to the hotel from the airport is a bonus (and even better at the end of the trip when you just pick up your bag and wander over to check in!) and staying in Crown Point is an ideal place from where to travel by bus around the island, hire a car, or walk to some of the best beaches.

Breakfast at the Kariwak is legendary and not to be missed at any cost. The home made yoghurt is famous and for good reason, and if you can manage a big breakfast do go for the daily fish option as it will be worth it.

If you can manage an early morning yoga class it does give you something to be smug about all day long.. I only made it once but would recommend it highly!

There is nothing bad to say about this hotel. Go, stay, relax, you won't want to leave.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

This was my second stay at Kariwak. I had stayed there in December of 2006 for URGENT rest and recuperation. Previously, I had had meals there, so I already knew that I would have no worries on that score! This time I went with my grown daughter, who is in her 20s. We had spent one traumatic day at another hotel, the difference between the two was far greater than chalk and cheese - more like chalk and cheesecake! Not only were we conducted personally to our garden suite, but we were also shown all the amenities that the room provided. From the time my daughter landed on the bed, she gave a deeepp sigh and promptly went to sleep. For us both it was therapeutic. The staff was courteous and went out of their way to ensure our comfort. I personally loved the smell of the lush rosemary plants on the pathways. My daughter loved watching the birds and insisted on dining outdoors as much as possible. You were never far from the relaxing sight and sound of running water, the lush greenery and the winding pathways seemed designed for relaxation as well. The spice tea was not only bracing, but also detoxifying. This time we only spent 2 days there, but we were marvelously changed and well rested by the end. My daughter is actively planning how soon she can return.

• Stayed September 2009
English chic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

If you are looking for crazy nightlife, constant noise and games around the pool don't stay here! If like me you value peace and tranquility then this is the place for you. Although situated close to the airport there is surprisingly very little associated noise. The Kariwak offers simple accomodation (very, very clean), wonderful service from friendly staff and gorgeous food, this including herbs and vegetables grown on site. Yoga and massage are available. I have stayed here three times and will hopefully return next year.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Best hotel in Tobago. Beautiful relaxing atmosphere, absolutely great food and friendly staff. This is the place you want to go again and again..

Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

As I have said, this was my 7th visit in 7 years and I'm sure people will feel I must be very sad to keep returning to the same place over and over again.
In my defence, my job for the last 7 years has taken me all over the world. I have stayed in hundreds and hundreds of hotels from 2 to 6 stars and these ratings are often inaccurate and do not neccessarily give a brilliant service. I generally go abroad at once per week and somtimes twice in a week, always involving overnight stays for between 1-3 nights each time.

The Kariwak Village and Holistic Haven is, for me, a place to go to relax and unwind. If you are looking for wild parties and loud modern music, its not for you!

The rooms are all you need, lovely setting, either around the beautiful pool or in their tropical gardens, they are clean, and serviced daily by helpful and friendly staff who will help you with anything they can. There are only 24 rooms so they are able to provide good individual service.

The food is second to none, I can honestly say, consistantly the best in the world that I have eaten. On my first visit, I opted for bed and breakfast only, but found the local resturants both disappointing and expensive and we found ourselves staying at the the Kariwak for dinner as the food is so good.

Breakfast gives a wide selection of fresh, wholesome, healthy food and you can choose from various hot food as well as cereal, home made yoghurt and fresh fruit.
The staff are happy, cheerful and always helpful and accomodating.
Dinner is also of a very high standard, fridays and saturdays are buffet nights and the resturant is generally full. They have live music which is very relaxing and Caribbean in style. Sunday to thursday is table service and consists of 4 courses, delicious home made soup, fresh salads prepared with different dressings and vegetables. The main course offers a choice of meat, fish or vegetarian option with freshly prepared vegetables. And then, if you have room, a choice of home made desserts and/or various flavours of home made ice cream. The food is very tasty, good healthy size portions, and the herbs are fresh from their own gardens.

They have a good selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks and the same with a fabulous menu of cocktails again, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices. I have more or less tried most! And they are very reasonably priced with good measures of alcohol in the alcoholic cocktails!

The staff throughout the Kariwak have remained mostly the same since I have been visiting there. It is a delight to see people who are happy and work well together. It is common to enjoy the sound of laughter around the Kariwak, the banter and contagious laughter makes your stay even more enjoyable. The staff work very hard, have terrific memories bringing the service to a very personal level. Despite this high standard, they manage to retain the ablility to be able share a laugh with the the guests staying there, making the atmosphere very relaxed.

I have often seen other guests, who, like myself, have returned to the Kariwak for another stay. Being such a small hotel, I have had many conversations with other guests, and I have yet to hear a bad word said about the food, service or the Staff.

I have visited the rainforest, waterfalls and many other sights in and around Tobago, and I have to add that wherever you go, everyone knows the Kariwak. It is a very highly respected and the place the local people go for a special occasion. Everyone comments on the high standards of food and service you recieve there.

I will be back!

My thanks to all the staff, particularly Marion, Suzette, Michelle, Dee Dee, Frank, Richie, Colin and everyone there who make the Kariwak a very special place indeed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

i stayed at kariwak for independence long weekend. the staff was always friendly and accommodating. food-breakfast and dinner -very tasty. as previously stated ,lighting in rooms are a bit dim and no tv in rooms which i suppose goes with the entire holistic haven thing. but i would definitely recommend staying here

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
St. James, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

All of the staff was so friendly, their service was excellent, and the breakfast we had, both my boyfriend and I agree, was the best fish buljol and coconut bake we’ve ever had! And we are both Trinidadians so we know buljol!
The hotel was so relaxing and the gardens are so very beautiful. I miss waking up to the sound of the birds! Our room was so cozy we instantly felt welcomed and at home. The bed was huge, and so comfortable, its a wonder we were able to leave it at all!
We were witness to various wild life, such as cocricos (at least I think thats what they were), little kisskadees, and many other little birds, snails and even a baby manicu as it fell out a tree and ran across our path.
I did not have the opportunity to join any of the yoga or thai chi classes as we didn't have enough time, but I passed by a couple, and they looked fun and enjoyable.
The jacuzzi at the back of the garden with its rustic waterfall is a perfect romantic hideaway. If only the jacuzzi was heated, we would have spent hours in it. Unfortunately, at night, it was freezing!
The care and conservation they show towards nature is very admirable, with their own herb gardens, and a toilet plumbing system to avoid too much water wastage. And all of their water, whether in the pools or from the pipes is oxygenated and chlorene-free, so we were told we could safely drink from the taps.
We were so sorry not to be staying longer, but we will definitely be staying there again, and for longer, on our next vacation in Tobago.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel? Share your experiences!