“Kariwak saved me!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel
3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Store Bay Local Road, Crown Point, Tobago   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Kariwak saved me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I didn't even realize how stressed out I was until I landed at Kariwak Village Holistic Haven! It was my first time to Tobago and I now know that I will be back time and time again, if for no other reason than to go to Kariwak! The staff was wonderful, the food was incredibly delicious and healthy, and the treatments and yoga classes were better than anything I've ever had in New York City...and all at such a reasonable price! Cynthia is an amazing chef and hostess and maintains the grounds meticulously! It feels like you've arrived in paradise from the first moment you step onto the grounds! Needless to say, I can't wait to return...and it will be soon!

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room on the property.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
kariwak, Guest Relations/ Reservations at Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to you.

Thank you for choosing us and many thanks for taking the time to post your review, it is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Kariwak Village for four days last week. The hotel and stay was good and maybe a little better than expected. Here is my detailed review:

Hotel location
The hotel is at tucked away just off of a secondary road in the Crown point area. It is relatively close to all of the main attractions in Store bay (beaches, restaurants, bars, pharmacy, airport, ATMs etc) you can walk to most of these (maybe 15 minute walk) which is safe in my opinion both day and night. The most popular beach in the area is maybe Pigeon Point and this could be walked but better off driven, Store bay another popular beach is a 5 minute walk. There is no real bustle of activity of the main area felt at the hotel save for the intermittent taking off of aircraft at the nearby airport.

Grounds/Facilities
The hotel area is relatively small but peaceful, well maintained and landscaped. Lots of vegetation. the walkways are as lit up at night as they should be. The rooms are either pool side or garden. The garden rooms are at the "back" so to speak and relatively away from it all, however given that the hotel is small this is only 2-3 minutes away from main lobby and restaurant. The main lobby holds the centrally located reception, restaurant and bar. There is alot of wooden decor and infrastructure that has been added on to the main concrete structure to house eating areas etc. It all makes for a calming, Caribbean style atmosphere. See pictures attached. at the extreme end of the garden there is a lawn area with trees/plants etc bird feeders and a non heated Jacuzzi. The Jacuzzi was not fully functional when we were there but we did use it to relax (speaking to who seemed to be a groundsman mentioned that he thought the Jacuzzi needed servicing) as the massage jets were not operational but the fountain was. The main pool area is near to the restaurant and this seemed nice though we did not spend any time there.

Rooms
most of the rooms seem to be the same layout regardless of pool vs garden option. They are small but with the high roof of our garden unit it seemed large than it really was. It was ample with toilet and bathrooms (separated by a thin wooden wall) that were of sufficient size. Bed looked like a king sized one but seemed to be two mattresses put together to make one king and a king headboard. There was also a sofa in the room which was cool. It was comfortable, relaxing and restful. I did wake up with back pains several mornings but I think it was me and not the bed. The decor of the rooms again accented with bamboo & wooden aspects along with the inner walls of the rooms, see pics attached. I did find the walls thin as you could hear anything going on in adjacent rooms, luckily our neighbours were well behaved. We did not miss not having a television and welcomed it actually. AC functioned as required which is important in the heat/humidity of this location. One problem i did notice was there was a phone in the room but no directory for hotel services (if offered at all i am not sure) once we needed to call the front desk, picked up the phone and just took a guess an dialed "0" but no answer, not sure if this is intentional with the haven theme they put out but if someone needs to contact the reception area or, laundry or anywhere they are stranded. Outside the room is a sitting area looking out to your portion of the garden. rooms B block look out to what seems to be the "rear" of the garden area, rooms A block look to the front and seem to have more space in their front garden area/walkway. We stayed in room 12B.

Eats & Drinks
The food was excellent, tasty, hearty, healthy and alot of variety for breakfast and supper. We never ate lunch there though but it seemed in keeping with the standard they set from our first meal there. Breakfast was included in our package and this was a full breakfast. It is served till 10 AM but i saw guests who may have arrived late still get served no issues at all. Other meals are at your expense and at times may seem a bit pricey but I think justified. The buffet on Friday night and Saturday night was excellent. Both times I left very satisfied with great tasty food, unfortunately I never made it for seconds......it was not needed. this cost for buffet was 230 TTD taxes included (approx 39 USD) per person. A la carte dinning seemed also great though we did not experience it but strangely enough the times I saw the menu and price it was about the same as the buffet, approx 210-230 TTD per person depending on meat option. By the way there is always fresh fish available and also they cater for vegans which is great and rare. The bar is a small wooden set up with bamboo accents and decor that has a bartender making a wide variety or cocktails and serving drinks. There is a wide array of options but I those aren't really my style so I did not enjoy it but if you do like that then its more than sufficient. I forgot to mention that there is liver entertainment which was appreciated on the buffet nights.

Service and staff
the staff is very friendly and accommodating. We arrived much earlier than the check in time and I was pleased to find them telling me that we could head to our room and settle in, also they let us check out a little later, maybe because they were not at full occupancy but it was good none the less. They do seem to be understaffed but I was not expecting any more so it was not an issue, they are a close knit crew who seemed to have been together for years and there is a family atmosphere. The owners are very nice folk and do their best to make you at home. One thing i did notice was that someone to help carry bags especially to the garden rooms would be nice as the walkways are not really luggage friendly, it was not necessary for us though. I have seen folk complain on the length of time for service which I did not see as a big problem but given the setup of the hotel and the staffing its not exactly your large established hotel chain with tons of staff etc. After all this is not the Hilton or Magdalena Grand but then again that's a good thing.

In closing: I would stay at Kariwak again and also would recommend to someone. Actually I am going to book my aunt and uncle there for a stay in December when they come from the US to visit.
If i had a wish list to improve the place it would be:
1. some more staff maybe (bellboy/luggage assistance)
2. heated and fully functional Jacuzzi
3. documented and in use internal telephone system
4. more fans/cooling in the restaurant area as it tended to get a little hot.

Room Tip: Garden rooms in block A have more "lawn" and access way spaces
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We do appreciate and thank you for your review. I am pleased to explain that:

1. bellboy/luggage assistance is available upon request.
2. the Jacuzzi is fully functional, however heating is an option we have looked into
3. We do provide functioning telephone system in all our rooms. Upon check-in a booklet with important internal listing as well as external information regarding the format for local and international calls and the affiliated charges is provided
4. regarding more fans in the restaurant, your suggestion has been forwarded to the management.

Otherwise, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and do look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kindest regards
Trinidad and Tobago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very consistent - feels like returning to the family home! Rooms are not for everyone - no telephone or TV and wifi only available in public areas. But spotlessly clean, comfortable and good use of space. Breakfast is always delicious and the buffet dinners are delightful - many ingredients are grown on the compound - the emphasis is on simplicity and great taste. My only suggestion would be to provide shampoo/conditioner.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing us, we are happy that you were able to enjoy your stay with us, we press so hard to deliver and maintain our high standards, warm and friendly service, clean, relaxing comfort and good food. Regarding the suggestion, we do accept and will forward it to management for consideration and we do look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have stayed at kariwak many times and I love it. The staff are friendly, the rooms are perfect...simple, clean and comfortable...with a very rustic feel. There is something special about Kariwak, I am not quite sure how to describe it all in words. Perhaps it is the combination of everything; the yoga classes, the amazing fresh food, the delicious cocktails....the non-clorinated pool :) but we keep coming back time and time again. The sugar birds dancing at the breakfast table, the hibiscus trees or maybe the secluded waterfall in the back garden by the fresh herbs and the hammocks. I could go on....it is not glitzy or flashy but has a peaceful, friendly yet with nourishing feel to it. It really nourishes you body , your soul and your mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you were able to enjoy your stay with us and we look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

POS, Trinidad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have stayed with the hotel before on Business with varying degrees of satisfaction but this time was the worst.

On arrival my room was warm due to the air condition unit being off. That's understandable, granted! but after 3 odd hrs, the room was still warm and had to take the intervention of staff to have it fixed. (was fixed quickly)

Later the same night, my toilet would not flush! Called for service but the phone kept on ringing. Though the front desk is less than a 15 second walk, I should have had to walk to the front desk to get service. (Was given a new room when the length of time to fix would have been too long in waiting)

Service staff need to check the room more often. In the new room I got, there was a woman's "clam" left behind in one of the draws.

Over all, was not a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

kariwak, Guest Relations Manager at Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. To you we extend our apologies for not being able to ensure your stay with us was a delightful one. We strive always to maintain high levels of customer service delivery and satisfaction and are therefore grateful that you have taken of your valuable time to identify where we fell short.

Be assured there exists an extensive quality check procedure at every departure and prior to each arrival, for the primary purpose of eliminating such an experience as you described.
Undoubtedly a rare incident, we again apologize for the inconvenienced caused. Know that your concerns were addressed with the various departments in an effort to ensure no such future re-occurrence.

While your last experience cannot be altered, we sincerely look forward to making good on our commitment to providing you upon your next visit the superior level of customer service by which we stand so proudly.

We thank you for your past considerations and wish you the very best in your business and personal pursuits.

Regards,
AnnA
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed there with family for the first time. Big pool and Good food. Hospitable staff and pleasant guests. In the heart of Crown Point near Airport, Shopping Plazas, Fast Foods and Beaches. Every morning for Breakfast there was an rare view of some beautiful birds eg, Blue Jay, Kiskadee, just to name a few adoring with you with their fluttering of wings and lovely chirping.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
kariwak, Guest Relations Manager at Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you were able to enjoy your stay with us and we look forward to having you back with us time and time again.

AnnA
TRINIDAD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I just spent a weekend with my family. This was our 3rd visit and the standards have been maintained throughout the years. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful and best of all is the food. We had breakfast and dinner included in our package and the food was superb at a reasonable cost,Mrs Clovis' recipes are so tasty! The area in the back with the small pool and hammocks is so cozy and homely.The small birds flying around are entertaining.
The areas that I would recommend improvement are- a small fridge and kettle would be an improvement to the rooms and the live entertainment on weekend nights could vary. We love dancing but the beat was more jazz and tend to make you sleepy especially after a sumptuous dinner!But we did appreciate not having to leave to go looking for entertainment elsewhere.

Room Tip: The rooms we got were cabanas around the pool. Each had a double and single beds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel? Share your experiences!