We stayed here for 2 nights in July, during the wildebeest migration. The manager sent a driver to pick us up in Nairobi and bring us by road to the camp. We were traveling with my brother and his family, their first time in Africa, so the drive gave them a chance to see more of Kenya than if we had flown. The drive was long (6 hours), but pleasant and we stopped as needed.
The camp itself is small and beautiful, right on the edge of the park. My husband and I had previously stayed at one of the "big name" camps, and it had more amenities (like a pool), but this was every bit as enjoyable. It's small enough that the staff all know you and can help with any questions or problems. We stayed in a standard permanent tent, and it was spacious and just as comfortable as the ones at the big name camp. We had a great driver, friendly and knowledgeable, for our game drives.
We would highly recommend the visit to the Masai village. They asked 1000 KES, and it is obviously a commercial venture, but it was relaxed and friendly just the same. We saw some dancing, visited a house, learned some about the customs, and were invited to join in with some of the dancing. Afterwards there were crafts we could buy, and the guide helped us haggle a bit. But it was all very low pressure, no problem. And a pleasant walk.
We were delightfully surprised by the quality of the food! Delicious, varied, lovely presentation. They catered to the needs of my sister who is vegetarian, as well. We highly recommend this camp.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aruba Mara Camp is a tented Camp boardering the Talek River, next to Talek Gate in north Massai Mara. From Nairobi 260 Km driving through Narok. Just outside the gate, so no parkfee if you not do game-drive. We have from budget tents ( comfortable beds with mosquitonet an public bathroom ) to Big-tent ( spacious with privat bathroom ) and Luxury ( ask us for new pictures please ) category for every budget for everyone. We also have a spacious campsite with facilitys like kitchen/dining, toilets and hot water shower, security, carwash, firewood and laundry service. our buffalo bar and restaurant serving highly recomended food and a fine selection of wine, spirits and cold sodas. Naturewalks,visit of cultural village, birdwatching and hotair-balloon is available.Bushbreakfast, sundowner and fullday-drives with Lunch on request.Shutteltransfer from Nairobi can be arranged. Transfer from our airstrip is free. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Aruba Mara Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aruba Mara Camp Hotel Narok
- Aruba Mara Camp Kenya/Narok