“Beautiful building in need of TLC” 3 of 5 stars

Scole Inn
Ipswich Road, Scole, Diss IP21 4DR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Scole
Yorkshire
“Beautiful building in need of TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for a friends wedding with our 1 year old. We requested a cot when we booked, and rang the day before our arrival to check whether the hotel had got the request. The manager that we spoke to knew exactly who we were and assured us that there would be a cot in the room. However, when we arrived we were told that the hotel don't provide cots at all. This wouldn't have been a problem if we had been told when we specifically telephoned the day before, as we could have brought a travel cot from home! Thankfully, the staff member on duty was very helpful and managed to borrow a cot from another hotel for our stay and our little boy finally got somewhere to sleep!
The room was large, comfortable and packed full of character, although the bathroom was very basic and in desperate need of an upgrade.
We ate in the restaurant with a large group on our first evening and food was fairly good, despite poor reviews we had read. Breakfast was reasonable, the buffet was poor and a couple of people commented that the milk didn't taste too fresh on the second day. I imagine the jug had sat out on the buffet all morning on Saturday, to be put back in the fridge and used again on Sunday. The cooked breakfast, however, was excellent and I would definitely recommend skipping straight for a full English!
Overall we had a positive experience, staff were friendly and helpful, although I would say the Scole Inn only just scrapes it's third star.
In all honestly we would probably try somewhere else to stay if we were to visit the area again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from the scole- loved the feel of the place and location, however the water temperature varied - to non existent and the gas stopped working so no hot breakfast! Like coming downstairs on Christmas day to find no presents!

• Stayed October 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We d a great time,e booked a four poster room online but when we got there because we took our dog I said that we wouldn't mind if we had a standard double because of the dog, we then had one of the rooms in the court yard which had a nice garden to walk the dog. We were checked in by Jonathon and he couldn't have been more helpful with wonderful customer service, even brought extra pillows and a blanket for the dog, also room service. The next morning we went over for breakfast and the staff that were on duty were great friendly and very helpful nothing was to much for them, in the evening we went into the restaurant and had a lovely meal. The next morning the staff was different 2 teenages and the chef, there wasn't as much choice as the morning before, no breakfast menus on the tables, when my husband asked if he could have porriage as he did the day before we were told that they were only doing full english and nothing extra, we were brought out pot of tea no milk jug and was told that there was milk on the cereal table, the breakfasts were brought out before my husband had finished his cereal and left on the table, this did spoil the end of our break but the feeling was that the chef couldn't be bothered, so I don't blame the young girl who served us she was only doing what she was told, so the only bad point for us was the chef but we will not let that spoil our weekend, we our going back in a month for another weekend and we are going there for their New Year special and we will be taking 4 friends with us.

Room Tip: Please don't be put off by the bad reviews try it for yourself. Sitting in the bar with a huge f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband had a business trip at Sizewell so we combined it with a long weekend at The Scole Inn. We made the mistake of booking the hotel first and reading the reviews after! Still, given we just wanted somewhere to put our heads down and it wasn't for a special occasion we thought we'd make the most of it.

On arrival the building looks lovely, but it is very tired and in desperate need of some TLC. It doesn't even look structurally sound but we're no experts. It is owned by a large hotel chain and is staffed by inexperienced 20ish year olds. Apart from the barman who was more mature, he is wasted there.

On checking in the girls couldn't find the room key as the previous guests had taken it with them (!) They had to search for the housekeepers keys. They couldn't get our name right although it was on the form in front of them. We weren't shown to our room, just directed, no help with our luggage. The young staff were outside sitting at tables drinking cans of lager with their peers/boyfriends, looking totally disinterested in us as guests.

Our room was very large with a four poster bed but very, very tired, dated and dark. Dark because although there was a huge window which was on the front of the building it was completely covered with the wisteria tree that grew the entire frontage of the building. The window frames were very old (metal I recall) and there was secondary "double glazing" - inbetween which the wisteria had crept in through the main windows and completely filled the cavity inbetween, some stems and leaves even coming into the actual room. The cavity was filled with flies, both dead and alive.

The TV remote didn't work, my husband had to repair the aerial cable before the TV would work. The TV was very old (big box type) which wouldn't have been a problem if it had worked properly. There were two chairs in the room, around a large coffee table - the arms came off in your hand if you stood up and didn't let go! The kettle was disgusting - full of scale. There was hair in the bath, dust and fluff and hair on the bathroom floor, the loo roll holder was sitting on top of the cistern and the loo roll on the side of the bath. Only two out of five bulbs on the main room light fitting worked making a dark room even darker, the room fabric (especially the four postser bed) was worn and ripped and the carpet was stained and dirty.

As we had the only key the room wasn't cleaned over our three night stay.

Because of the awful reviews we didn't eat there in the evenings (just as well as on one night they shut the restaurant -and the bar - as the chef had walked out). However we had breakfast two out of three mornings. On both occasions the tables in the restaurant hadn't been cleared from guests who had already eaten and left. We found a "free, clean" table and made up our cutlery and crockery by taking it from other tables. The waitress service was outrageous, particularly on our last morning. She argued with me that there was hot water on the dresser in the jug (there was no water, hot or cold), she brought us two CUPS of coffee when I asked for a cup of hot water (I don't drink coffee). When we told her this she plonked both cups (no saucers)on the table and stropped off to the kitchen. She came back with another cup (no saucer) of hot water (I bought my own herbal tea bag) and when I asked her about saucers she said "Saucers? What for?" They never did materialise. She genuinely didn't know what saucers were!!

Despite all this we didn't have a bad weekend as the weather was glorious, the Suffolk/Norfolk countryside is lovely and we spent very little time at the hotel. It's such a shame as the building is gorgeous and would benefit from a rich business-mad pumping a load (a big load!) of cash at it and putting in some excellent and mature staff.

Room Tip: Don't go!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Scole hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Well i arrived after booking a 4poster room for me an my other half. Upon arival we ha to wait for the barman to get a member of staff to get us our keys. We then went to our room and found it without a 4poster and been put in a family room. Went and complained and they gave us our propper room. So to start off with. Not happy, then we walked up the stairs that we all over the place. Down the corridor on the TOP floor to find a window missing and nothing coverin it up. Got into our room eventually and looked alright upon first inspection. After a while we started to notice things. The toilet was leaking onto the bathroom floor, and took about half an hour to refil between flushes so ended up using the kettle to fill it up. Shower had no pressure, window was very small and hard to open and close. Broken glass, carpit could do with some tlc. Bed was ok. Pillows were more like a pillow cover. We used 3 pillows each and still found it a struggle.
Come the morning after an average nights sleep we went down for our breakfast. Being the first there it was all set up nicely, juice was full, tea and coffe, cerials and toast provided. After a few guests arrived, it quickly turned, no staff to fill up the juices so had to do it ourselves, ceral when out, was out. Tea and coffee emptied and took about 20mins to refil. "full english" came out. 1 walls sausage, 2bits of aldi's bacon, half an egg, i tea spoon of beans and half a slice of fried bread. Safe to say i wasnt to impressed. Upon checkin out, no body was there so just left the key on the side and left.
Overall, not impressed. Maybe after a £10million make over, new staff and a new manager, it would be a stunning place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed in room 4

Bad points
*room smells smokey
*room dirty
*bed uncomfortable
*room cold
*window falling out in room
*bathroom is very small and mouldy
*tele has minimal signal
*over price

Good points
*weather is nice
*chip van just outside does good chips.

Says it all!

• Stayed September 2012
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was very excited to stay here, as it looked very nice. My best friend decided to have his wedding out-of-town guests stay here the weekend of his wedding. We all booked our rooms (you must pay in full in advance, and there is no refund if you cancel). My best friend had it set so that we'd arrive at the Scole Inn at noon, so that we'd be ready to leave for the wedding ceremony by 2:30 PM. Unfortunately, we were delayed on the roads and arrived closer to 1:00 PM. No problem, though, right?? --because they knew we were coming....

Well, when we arrived none of the rooms (including his honeymoon suite!) were ready. There was hardly any staff. In fact, the bartender had to leave the pub to go clean the honeymoon suite!! Not to mention, that room had a "camp bed".

My room was being cleaned by the cleaning ladies (they were very nice!), but I think we got into our rooms at 1:30...leaving us less than an hour to prepare for the ceremony. We were given statements such as "well, sometimes our sister hotel books these rooms for us and so we have no idea you're coming". Seriously?

Later that night, there was no staff at all. My bed was awful--you could feel every single spring (I stayed in Room 5, top of the main building). That, and every light was off on my way up to my room (which was terrifying, as I was supposedly the only person on the top floor--so much to my dismay when I saw a man walking towards me who was saying 'night' to his girlfriend!!). My shower, while it had worked minimally prior to the ceremony) did not work at all the next morning. The breakfast was OK, but the coffee was literally cold, even though the woman had supposedly just made it. When the second carafe came, it was bitter and way too strong.

Overall, considering the cost, I'd never go back. While a very pretty building, it was ridiculously overpriced for not so great service, a horrific bed, a non-working shower and not-ready rooms. The only reason I did not rate this as "terrible" was because I figured it was a decent room (in regard to cleanliness and space), but the rest was not good at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Scole Inn? Share your experiences!