“Leave this one to the Russians” 1 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Murgavets
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pamporovo Resort, Pamporovo 4780, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Pamporovo
yorkshire
“Leave this one to the Russians”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

The only positive things I can say about this hotel is that it is very clean and the location, in the centre of this (tiny) resort, is handy for the shuttle bus. Otherwise, there are so many negatives that I need to list them. First off, the hotel is noisy - we didn't get one decent night's sleep because all the rooms run off a central staircase so the coming and goings of late-night revellers are a constant disruption, even when wearing ear plugs. As for the late-night revellers (and I mean late night - 2, 3, 4 a.m. and beyond) themselves, the hotel is clearly aimed at the Russian market (all public signs are in Bulgarian and Russian and the staff speak virtually no English) and the other guests' rudeness and lack of common courtesy beggared belief; we were constantly pushed aside, reached over, had doors banged shut on us, forced back into the lift we were trying to exit and generally disregarded by a tide of Russian guests. This is also clearly the market at which the food is aimed (gherkins for breakfast anyone?) - this was the first catered holiday I have experienced where there were several times when I literally couldn't identify any of the meat, and you have to marvel at a chef that can make a choice of four hot dishes on a sliding scale of tasteless to inedible. The vegetables were so over-cooked they were mush, whilst any hint of fresh fruit is immediately scooped up by the plateful by the Russians, whose greed and selfishness (many would pile their plates high only to leave the vast majority uneaten) is mind-boggling (please don't think I'm being anti-Russian, it's just that this is how it was - I'm sure this was not typical of their countrymen and women). The hotel stinks of cigarette smoke (smoking is not allowed in public places like the bar and restaurant but is allowed in the rooms), the restaurant staff seem to be employed to stand around and watch as you try to work out why both hot and cold milk jugs produce scalding hot milk, whilst dirty plates and crumb-laden tables are left to fester. And finally, the staff - as previously mentioned, their English is non-existent so we had no idea that, for instance, we needed the hotel to issue us with tickets in order to use the free shuttle bus (i'm all for trying new languages when on holiday but when the alphabet is entirely different making pronunciation impossible...) . When we arrived at the bus and saw that this was needed, we returned to the hotel, got the required tickets, only to find when we tried to board the bus at the end of a day's snowboarding that we had been given tickets that were one-way! Luckily, the driver was very understanding. Absolutely finally, on arrival the porters refused to leave our room until we had tipped them, despite the fact we had only large-denomination notes. I wouldn't stay here again if it were free.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Danlincs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a week, having a booked a last minute deal through First Choice. We arrived early hours of the morning and were given a room on the first floor - directly opposite the White Hart pub - the noise was a joke. Having been kept awake half the night we spoke to the reception staff who out right refused to help. The way in which they spoke to us was shocking, they simply were not interested. It was not just the matter of how noisy this room was, but it was the state of the room too - this hotel was rated 4stars - I can quite honestly say the room we were given would not come with any stars - dirty and literally stenching of cigarettes. I have done a lot of travelling and stayed in some places, but this was not satisfactory.

The following day I spoke to the Crystal Rep - she said all of about five words to the reception staff and we were moved immediately. I have a funny feeling this hotel relies on the business brought through Crystal.

Ok so off to a bit of a rubbish start, surely things had to get better... Well to be honest, not really. The new room was a lot more comfortable and clean at least. However, the service throughout the week remained poor, especilly from reception staff. There was one nice lady. If I spoke to any one else I was more generally looked up and down first by some jumped up arrogant trollop and then dismissed as quickly as possible.

I really feel very strongly about service during your holiday and that is exactly the point - we went for a holiday and paid good money - and were basically treated like an inconvenience for the duration.

DO NOT BOOK HALF BOARD. If you can avoid eating in this hotel - please do. The buffet style food is cold and the choice - well barely existent. We paid to have an evening dinner and ate out every single night. Luckily there are some great places nearby - Gloria Mar is impressive.

Drinking in the hotel bar? Keep your wits about you - the bar staff will rip you off with extortionate prices. A lady in my ski group ordered two brandy hot chocolates and was charged over 22 lev - £11! When she asked for a receipt the bar staff were a tad reluctant. The Crystal rep then had to intervene following a complaint and what do you know - the lady was given an apology and a free bottle of bubbly.

There is a lovely pool at the hotel, but don't be fooled - hidden charges to use the jaccuzzi and steam room. There is a bit of a dodgy bar/club, Spider bar in the basement -all I can say is "weird".

I must just say the Pamporovo ski school saved my holiday - Teddy especially. I will definitely return to Pamporovo but would rather set up in a tent ouside in the minus temperatures than return to Hotel Murgavets. If you would like any standard of service and a good hearty evening dinner after a long day on the slopes - go elsewhere!

Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

The hotel was lovely, and the staff we very pleasant, even allowing us to check out at 6pm (6hours later than usual) on the last day as our flight was later. The hotel was clean, the rooms were cleaned daily, the cleaners even folded my pyjamas! The food in the hotel is not great, but edible all the same. Dinner is served from 7-10 and the best tiime to eat is at 7, as the food does not remain as hot as it could be throughout the night. We were not particularly impressed with the food, but most of the other guests seemed to be! We tended to go out for dinner every evening, and there are some lovely restaurants around, I would recommend the White Hart (opposite the hotel) and Gloria Mar (a minutes walk), although the latter is one of the more expenzive restaurants around but well worth it., I would definitely NOT recommend eating in the restaurant attached to the hotel, a barbeque restaurant, the service was atrocious (until we left the money for the bill and a waiter sprung out of nowhere to collect it, presumably looking for a tip) the food was terrible, it was not served together, I ended up getting my food about 20mins before my partner, it was covered in oil, so much so that it was practically inedible. The service was definitely the worst part of the restaurant experience. It is also worth noting that the staff (some, if not all) in the White Hart do not get a salary, and only take home their tips as their pay, I am not sure how the other restaurants work. All in all Hotel Murgavets was a lovely hotel, and I would recommend staying there.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I came to this hotel for a conference. I would not come back to it even if somebody paid me. The food was absolutely atrocious -- cold and tasteless on a good day and roadkill and practically poisonous on a bad one. I was hungry and with a stomach ache most of the time. If you have to stay there and you would like to eat somewhere else, leave the hotel and walk down the road till a small intersection, continue forward a little bit more and you will find 2 or 3 restaurants. We ate in one of them, and it was really good. Or maybe it was great in comparison, I don't know any more.

Pamporovo is not really a ski resort in a european sense of that word. It's place where you can ski, but minus all the amenities of a ski resort, like a store, bar, coffee shop, etc. It's literally a place in a middle of very beautiful forest, but that's it. There is nothing else to do at all. Since I came in July, I did not go up the mountains, so can't comment on the slopes.

The hotel itself was very noisy, the bar closed at 8 pm, the entertainment in the restaurant was so loud that you could not talk to a person who sat next to you. The room were semi-redecorated, so in my case it meant that the bathroom was redone, but the carpet was old and dirty. I heard from other people that some of their rooms were old and smelly.

I did not use the spa facilities because they closed at 5 pm Monday-Thursday, but I heard from others who used on Friday night when it's open later that the pool was nice and massages were good.

All in all, I would not return there for free!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Curry Rivel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Grand Hotel Murgavets is in Pamporovo ski resort. a 2 minutes walk to the bus which is only a 10 minutes (if that) ride to the slopes.
The staff are friendly and speak pretty good English (I would recommend learning some Bulgarian, Hello, Thank you, etc).
The rooms, we stayed in room 114, it had a balcony which wasn't worth paying extra for. The room was warm and comfortable, showers were hot and the rooms cleaned every day, they even folded my PJ's! - it had a TV, 2 good sized single beds and a desk area. There were no tea or coffee making facilities. I think there are a variety of room types, some small and some large - if you ask when you check in I'm sure you can get a good room.
The other facilities in the hotel were excellent. The prices for coffee were cheaper in the 8th floor sky bar than downstairs. Black coffee is half the price of white coffee in many places in resort! I didn't realise there was a night club underneath until we went there so there is no noticeable noise - which is really good as it is open until 6am! Same applies for the 24/7 Casino.
The fitness facilities: there are plenty a good facilities and these are open from 9am-9pm. For guests staying at the hotel, swimming pool, sauna and gym are free. The jacuzzi is 8Lev for 20 minutes and after a day on the slopes I would recommend a go in there!
For end of season we had plenty of snow for a good week.
Like many others have said their food is different and in hotel it was OK. they tried to cater for our tastes but It didn't work the final 2 days we ate at the White Hart pub across the road from the Hotel.
Something I didn't realise until I got there was they do not have a smoking Ban and people can smoke everywhere - even in petrol stations!
I loved it for my first boarding holiday - tuition was brilliant and we even had a presentation at the end of the week and got a certificate. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
North East England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

First time skiing in Pamporovo this year and will be returning in 2011.
Got a great deal with Balkan holidays, weather was brilliant (loads of snow) and the location was suberb.

The .hotel was very impressive, comfortable and clean with fabulous facilities.
The rooms were very good with nice quality furniture, carpets and very comfortable beds.. The room was cleaned daily and clean towels were left.
The food was good although you had be at dinner early as when it was gone it was gone.

The free bus stopped behing the hotel to take you to Ski centre 2 and dropped you off opposite at the White Hart pub.

The beginners ski school was very well organised and the staff all very helpful with boot and ski fittings.
The tuition was very good and the instructor took us to a variety of bars and restaurants on the mountain for lunch throughout the week..
The Rhodope Mountains are beautiful and during the journey to the summit on the ski lift it was like being on a Christmas card. The views were breathtaking..

I learned to ski down the Mountain on a green run within 4 days, i felt very pleased with myself as i never thought i would do it as a 50 year old learner..

We have been bitten by the bug and have booked already for 2011

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

On Arrival at the hotel from a 3hour 50minute flight and 4 hour coach transfer getting to the hotel to find out they had misbooked my room wasnt something i needed. however the receptionist was pretty helpful and placed me on the first floor until they could get me a room with the rest of my famly on floor 2. the rooms were of a good standard, clean, fresh linen and towels daily and nice balcony with spectactular views. no double bed as requested just 2 single beds pushed together but this wasnt a problem. Hotel Murgavets is situated about 10minutes coach drive from the ski slopes which run from 8.30am untl 10.30 and then 3.00 until 5pm. the coaches are warm and are driven to a good standard.
there is a pub over the road called the White hart which is a britsh pub run by a man called Billy who was born in Plovdiv, He know lives in Pamporovo and runs this pub. he is a lovely gentleman even if he does support manchester united :) All the staff there are welcoming and friendly and English is very good
there is a 24hour supermarket called Alaska next door which has reasonable pices. there are a few other bars and restaurants there, but we stuck to the White hart as it was great value and good atmosphere!
there were 6 of us and we had a weeks beginners lessons and a weeks intermediate lessons sadly on day 8 i skied into a mound of snow and landed awkwardly on my knee dislocating it and ripping the ligaments in my knee so ended up in a cast for the rest of the holiday :( however this experience however painful was met by great service from the bulgarian redcross, who sent out a skidoo to pick me up off the ski slope and take me to the medical centre were i was xrayed, and plastered accordingly. there were a few people who stopped on the slope and got my first aid for me whom i would like to thank although i dont know their names. My instructor for the first week was Mitchov who was great very friendly and had a bit of english... the second week i should of had andre but this is when my accident occured!!
The food is something that i did have trouble with and lost a bit of weight whilst away as everything was either pork which i cannot have or was cold. apparently bulgarians quite like cold food. but i dont lol
there wasnt much choice at the hotel and a limited amount of salad and deserts too
the other aspect to the hotel is that it can be slightly louder over the nightclub so if booking ask for a room at the back of the hotel where its a lot quieter, as at the front you can hear the white harts live band

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hotel Murgavets? Share your experiences!