“Nice Place, Nice Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Place, Nice Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

On a recent visit to this area, with another family, Mrs Ticehurst Dave and I decided that we would go out for a nice meal on our own, leaving the children with the other family. Earlier in the day we had browsed the menus of the various establishments in town, and selected this place, mainly because of the two set price gastronomic menus on offer.

We arrived a little before nine o'clock, and were seated in an area that didn't seem to present itself as a 'gastronomic' environment. We were presented with the Brasserie menu, which I have attached. It seems that the downstairs is the Brasserie, and upstairs is the Restaurant.

Unfortunately for us, the Restaurant stopped taking orders at 9 pm, so we had to settle for the less expensive Brasserie menu. As I was prepared to spend Euro 68 each, for the Menu "Abbatial" which I had seen earlier on on my menu quest, and was really looking forward to, I guess this was the restaurants' loss. Also, being Continental Europe, I never thought that service would stop so early, especially in the tourist season.

Anyway, the Brasserie it was, and very satisfactory it was too.

We ordered a litre of house red wine for E18,00 and I also had a bottle of the local St Hubert beer, at E3,40 a bottle.

There were no starters offered on the slimmed down menu, so we both had the Sole. Or so I thought. What we actually got was the Salmon. I guess this was because of the waiter looking at my fat finger rather than listening to what I was trying to say! the items are next to each other on the menu. Anyway, the salmon arrived and was a euro less expensive. it was accompanied by mashed potato and roasted vegetables, and was very good, and well presented.

We waited a while for the bill which never arrived. However, on watching others, it seems this is the way in this area. When you are ready, you go up to the bar to pay....

Service was a bit slow, but on this occasion, we were in no rush. This place would suite both couples or families. We saw children there, who seemed welcomed, although we didn't have need of a children's menu on this visit.

The toilets were upstairs, so i got to see the 'other part' of this establishment, which looked perfect for couples. I'm sorry we didn't get to give it a go.

Our total bill for two, with wine, and a beer, was less than E55,00, which seems good value when compared locally.

• Visited August 2013