“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Lutterworth B&B and Inns
Midlands
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were looking forward to a Groupon deal at a lovely restaurant.
The Shambles is actually a pub that really is in need of a makeover.
The staff were friendly but we did ask to discuss the Groupon deal as it was our understanding that we were entitled to a free bottle of wine with the deal. The manager on duty (or owner I suspect) was quite abrupt and whilst we may have misunderstood the deal, we were made to feel uncomfortable. The food was very typical pub food, the service somewhat slow (even though we were the only people in the eating area at that time) and not the experience we were expecting from the write up on the web site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

What can I say-Went for a quiet drink at the shambles last night. It started well. Even when what I found out later to be the local ladies rugby team came in for a few drinks all was very pleasant. The ladies and gents must have put at least £100 in the till u till one of the staff, An older lady starting shouting the odds at them in quite a aggressive wAy for bringing their own booze into the pub. Yes in this climate I can understand why the staff have issues but on a quiet Sunday night in Feb-maybe a quiet word may have been more appropriate. The ladies shortly left and so did we-I hope they, as we will be ,take their business elsewhere in future.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Lutterworth hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Me and my partner had a meal this week and I cannot fault it. I felt as I had walked into my aunts home for a wonderful home cooked meal as the welcoming was like a family member.
I did ask for medium steak but got medium/well but that did not make the meal any less perfect. Homemade chips which I've not had in years but now realise how much I miss them!!
I also laughed at the landlord telling a grown man off for swearing near the bar.
The one and only issue I had was the waitress but in all honesty I will put it down to being so young or it was her first week on the job.
I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This pub has great potential, nice location and decor, reasonable priced menu I was expecting great things and was very disappointed with my visit. We had booked a table but on arrival there was no one behind the bar. The locals advised us that the barman had popped up stairs and wouldn't be long. Several minutes later the bar man appeared and we explained we had a table booked. he directed us to pick any table in the empty dining area and he would send the waitress across. 5 minutes later the waitress whow as young and very sweet arrived and took our food and drink order. We then waited 15 minutes for a pint , a coke and a diet coke before someone came to tell us that the beer was off and ask what was wanted instead. There was then a further wait of 5 minutes before the Pint and coke arrived, and we continued waiting for the diet coke. It duly arrived with an apology from the waitress that they ahd had to change the barrel for the coke hence the delay.

There was only 1 other diner in the restaurant and a few people at the bar so it lacked any real atmosphere.

The starters were reasonably priced and the portion size reflected this. You get what you pay for. I had Brie wedges and my husband garlic mushrooms, and both were of the 'buy it in a big bag from Iceland' variety.

My biggest disappointment was with my steak it was bland and tasteless and had no colour to it at all.

We usually eat out at least once a week and are always looking for reasonable priced places to go to but I am sorry to say the Shambles wont be added to our list when there are so many other better places to eat locally. A real shame because this place has such potential to be great with a bit of effort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went to The Shambles by chance on Saturday evening with an intention to have a meal. There was a Christmas meal/party going on in one of the rooms so we chose to sit in the bar.

We stood at the bar for 5mins which was taken up by regular drinkers who made no attempt to make space for us to order our drinks. There was a scruffy old man who I assume to be the landlord sitting in the corner of the bar who did nothing more than stare at me and my partner. A smile and a welcome wouldn't have gone a miss.

We went around the corner to the other side of the bar where we were served by the girl behind the bar and it was quieter, again we were being looked at by the local drinkers and made to feel very unwelcome.

We got a couple of menus ourselves as none of the staff made the effort, just before ordering out food there was a stream of hot food being brought out of the kitchen and taken into the carvery for the party in the next room at this point my partner and I noticed a member of staff scratching their head with one hand and holding a bowl of carrots in the other. This for us was the final straw we left our drinks and left.

The Shambles is clearly a local pub for local people and outsiders are not welcome

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We have been here a few time just to eat and it's really nice. The food is really great value for money and the staff are lovely. There is free parking outside the pub for up to 3 hours plus dogs are welcome. Will visit again when we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Good Beer, Good Food... right in the center of the town. This is a locals pub, but even if you are staying over or passing through you quickly become a local. A good base if you are touring the area, and also hand for business with its free WiFi - Its a pub - not a hotel - but a home from home in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Shambles? Share your experiences!