“beautiful room” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lichfield
“beautiful room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

we booked a room here as we were dining too. it's a gorgeous old building, our room was a king size. it was beautifully decorated, very spacious, large bathroom (spotless), and had plenty of storage. ok, the view wasn't the best (car park and air con unit), but we weren't there to look at views! we both had a wonderful night's sleep, the bed was so comfy, I found it difficult to get up in morning.
the price included breakfast, and you have choice of what type of breakfast you want, from continental to full English, or just a sausage sandwich if desired!
all in all, a lovely place to stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

After several evening visits for a meal since our first at this inn, we decided we should try an overnight stay for an anniversary celebration.

We arrived during the mid afternoon and were met by friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble: when booking in, upon request, they happily adjusted our pre-booked evening meal time by 45mins (later) even though the restaurant was well booked. Our booked table was allocated to us only – no staggered sittings or whatever – ours for the evening.

After quickly depositing our belongings in the room, we visited the bar/restaurant (fully booked for Saturday lunchtime). At the bar, I went for the ‘middle three stumps’ thanks to the enlightened three thirds offer (£3.15), although to my shame I never made the extra effort to sample the Slater’s Haka (a New Zealand Pale Ale) and I can’t recall the fifth pump, which was possibly Ubu Purity if my ailing memory serves. So I enjoyed the Naylor’s Brewery Frosty Bite (5% - hoppy and fruity with hint of spice, a good appetizer); Slater’s Blitzen (4% - a ruby beer – a maltier mouthful with nutty overtones - lingers with toffee hints); Titanic Plum Porter (4.9% - certainly smells of plums with a rich rounded flavour to savour. My better half treated herself to a glass of superior and very yummy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (we bought the bottle and had the remainder kept for our meal later – no problem at all). Mind you, at £24 a bottle it ought to be good!

The stylish bar/lounge/restaurant with its central island bar was busy with a convivial, cheery atmosphere; lots of comfy seating, no sawdust in sight, definitely upmarket! Faces at the tables looked satisfied and happy.

A trip to the ‘facilities’ revealed that the gents are stylish, spacious, clean and fresh - good also to have instant hot water.

Our room (No.9) was on the top floor. Received wisdom, by the way, is that top floor rooms are quietest - rooms 8-10. We can confirm that. Our room was comfortable and clean and more than satisfactory for one night. The only real criticism we had was that the flat screen TV was tiny – probably a 19” model – mounted on the wall. If you want your en-suite with a bath, it is best to request when booking because not all rooms have one (No.9 does). My wife enjoyed her bath, whereas I enjoyed a much better than average British hotel shower.

Another thing to be aware of: there is no convenient lift – it’s stairs all the way. Price for our room, B&B, was £75 per night. Not cheap, but not bad for a celebratory touch of comfort.

At 19:45 the restaurant was busy and buzzing with customers. Conversation was easier than we at first expected, despite the popularity of this dining rendezvous, and though we were a couple, we were given a corner table for four – plenty of elbow room.

It is obvious that many will have their doubts about eating and drinking here: the meals are by no means cheap (and neither is the wine) or ‘generous’. However, we both agree that the food is always tasty, well presented, and the portions sufficient in size for our appetites. Service is always friendly, helpful and efficient in our experience. Where possible, the food is locally sourced.

Breakfast was good: a choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt and a selection of hot options including Full English with locally sourced produce or a choice of eggs Benedict and Florentine (oooh, posh!) Good coffee, too.

The Littleton Arms won’t suit everyone, but if you don’t mind paying that bit extra, we think it’s worth a visit.

Room Tip: If you can manage the stairs, the top floor is quiet. If there is a lift/elevator available, we did...
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I thought we would treat ourselves to a lunch out and as we live only 20 mins from Penkridge thought we would try "The Lit" as we hadn't been for a long while. It was a Fri at around 1.30pm so couldn't get on the car park but there is free parking nearby so not a problem.
After waiting for my husband to join me we were shown to a table in the resturant area rather than the bar area, it was a lovely relaxed, cosy atmosphere but each table was not intruding on another. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. We selected our meal from the inclusive 3 course lunch at approx £20. After a hiccup with our order which was remedied relatively quickly with utmost apology from our lovely waitress, we enjoyed the soup which was lovely hot and tasty, my husbands' crab/fish cake was also. We both had the blade of Staffordshire beef which was delicious and melted in the mouth. I could have happily chosen any of the sweets offered but eventually we also both had a dark chocolate and ginger tart with ginger ice cream, not to detract from the tart but the ice cream was to die for. We had a couple of glasses of wine which were quite acceptable. A visit to the ladies restroom revealed a somewhat dated convenience with cracked washbasin but was acceptably clean and tidy. All in all a very good experience and looking forward to trying The Lit again in the new year.

Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

When we arrived the room was cold although we had booked in advance so not very cosy. There were no bedside lamps either which didn't help. When we informed the staff we were told the boiler would be turned up and we were given a radiator. Both made a difference but a pity this had not been done in the first place.I would prefer to have an ordinary pillow rather than memory foam. Not to everyone's taste

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise from the restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Barry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have just attended a teachers training course for the past week, I stayed at the Littleton Arms Penkridge Staffordshire. From the outset I was made welcome to the establishment with a warm greeting from a very busy barman. I was booked in with little to no fuss and shown to my room. I found that the room was very clean, tidy and well furnished. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and had plenty of towels, soaps and shampoo's. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was clean. There was a good internet connection during my entire stay which allowed me to complete my research without any problem. The breakfast I found to be very good and very good value. An enjoyable visit, I would return and stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Carlisle, Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

A great place to stay only a few miles off the motorway, we stayed here on a Thursday night arriving late afternoon, we were warmly welcomed at the reception in the bar and given our room which was well decorated and contained all the appliances you would expect. Being a Thursday it was steak night with a great offer of 2 9oz rump steaks which were cooked superbly with all the trimmings and a bottle of very good house wine for £30 pound, luckily we had been advised to book a table as the restaurant was full considering the number of tables that we're being served the service was first class. Top that of with a great selection of cask beers After a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed we had the full English breakfast which was superb, a big thank you to all the staff there who made our stay so enjoyable.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We needed a place to stay in the Stafford area and after lots of research on Trip Advisor decided on The Littleton Arms. I was a little concerned as there were some poor reviews but am glad we booked because it was a great place to stay. We arrived early but were able to check in as the rooms were ready - the welcome we received at reception in the pub was lovely. The room was very clean and pleasant - downsides it was a little small and no view but we were only staying the one night and that wasn't a problem. In the evening we had a meal downstairs and it was fab. My pork was delicious and my husbands mackerel excellent. A side of chips that were fantastic too! We were too full for a dessert but they looked fab too. After a good night's sleep - pub seemed to empty out about 10ish so it was a nice quiet night, we had the choice of 6 cooked breakfasts from full english to smoked salmon or kippers which was all first rate. Service lovely too. I would thoroughly recommend this little inn.

Room Tip: Rooms facing car park could be quieter as main road on other side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Littleton Arms? Share your experiences!