“friendly people and delicious food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Togian Islands
Sunset Beach
Tobil | near Wakai, Central Sulawesi none, Indonesia   |
Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
“friendly people and delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We've stayed there for thirteen days this year.
Uni and her lovely family and staff make your stay as easy as possible. Bungalows are simple but comfortable and with what is needed in a place like this. The food is plentiful and delicious. Maybe not very diverse, but very healthy.
Great cooks, friendly and honest people, breathtaking sunsets, the sea and a good stay is a portion of what you can find in this quiet place, near Wakai, for a small fee.
Terima kasih banyak!

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Siquijor Island, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

All seemed fine when I arrived but my bathroom hadn't been cleaned when I tried to moved in. Still toothpaste spat on the floor from the last guests. Mandi style bathroom is not an issue for me. Rooms were a little poorer quality than other resorts but they are big.

Staff on site are friendly but have little to no English so communication is poor. Owner/manager, Uni, speaks English well and is very friendly and personle when it suits. However she doesn't stick to agreed times to pick you up for preorganised trips. Neither does she apologise when she shows up 2 to 4 hours late with no excuse. This happened seperately to me, two Slovenian travellers next to me, and a Dutch family who were so annoyed they just waved down a passing boat and moved islands.

Food is repetitively fish and rice with a vegetable. The vegetarians at the table were simply told to not eat the fish, although, when pressed they did provide omlettes eventually. Lots of good pancakes for breakfast though.

Location is close to wakai and fast to get to. Initially lying on the beach was pleasant and swinging in the hammock was relaxing but there's nothing to do at Sunset Beach itself without booking excursions in advance (see issue above) and there's no resident boat so you are stuck on the island if you fail to plan in advance. Kadidiri island with three resorts on it is a short trip (15min and 25k rupiah one-way) away and you can organise scuba and other trips there who will pick you up.

Service was bad. Aside from the tardiness already discussed, follow-on travel arrangements made through Uni weren't honored by the other party. She refused to apologise or make ammends and instead kept blaming the other resort. I was annoyed at her but she seemed to act like it was only my problem.

A word of caution, I saw Uni arrive with more people in a boat than she had beds. Two people slept in the restaurant that night and another couple managed to leave before dark otherwise they'd have had to do the same.

Overall, stay for a short while to relax but have a privately confirmed booking elsewhere 2 days in advance to move on quickly.

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights in mid august. we had read all the previous glowing reviews and were looking forward to a relaxing few days.

The main disappointment with our stay stems from the owner (Uni) who can ne extremely nice if she feels like it but is extremly disorganised and shirks responsability.

We wanted to spend a few days on another island, she offered the phone numbers of other resorts  in passing but when we asked again she refused to give them to us, insisting she would arrange it for us. she told us she had a room booked for two days time. we re confirmed the booking again with her the night before and were assured a reservation had been made.

When we reached the other island the resort insisted Uni had never made a reservation and were full (as were the other resorts on the island) when we called uni we were told it was their fault and that we couldn't have our room back (which she had no booking for) because she wanted to pick up people off the ferry who would stay longer than the one extra night we wanted to stay. I understand mis understandings can happen but I was extremely annoyed she refused to accept any responsability and was happy to leave us with no where to stay. In the end we chartered a boat back and re occupied our old room which worked out ok because a young family also checked out because they were unhappy at the resort. At no point did she appologise.As you can imagine we were extremely annoyed and unhappy with the way the issue had beem resolved.

Unfortunately Uni lives in wakki and may or may not turn up each morning. We had arranged a snorkeling trip with her and she turned up an hour and a half late with no explanation or apologie. With another couple on the island she didn't turn to for two hours then asked if they wanted to join the smorkling trip she had just arranged for the newly arrived guests with no apology or acknowledgement she had forgotten about their trip.

When we  initially arrived we were met off the boat which was great and provided with a ferry to the resort. Upon arrival we were offered a selection of rooms at various prices, we choose one which had yet to be cleaned (not a problem) unfortunately after the room had been cleaned the bathroom had been skipped amd we had to ask three times before this happened.

Another cleanleness problem, was that after a storm a large amount of rubbish plus half a dead dog washed up on the beach (no ones fault I know) the problem was that the dog was not removed for 12 hours which you can imagine smelled awful in the heat! This was bad enough for us but worse given that there were young children playing on the beach.

Sunset beach is not somewhere I would recommended givem that a number of the other resorts are a fraction more expensive but a lot higher quality.

• Stayed August 2013
TogianSunsetBeach, Owner at Sunset Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hi diabetictraveller,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you encountered while in the Togian Islands, although your main problem was caused by another resort over which we have no control and therefore cannot accept responsibility.

I agree that you deserved an apology but it should have come from Pondok Lestari. Incidentally, the room that Uni allowed you to move back into HAD been booked (which is why the couple that had booked had to sleep in the restaurant)!

Uni DID organise and then confirm with Pondok Lestari for a room to be available for you but this promise was not honoured by Pondok Lestari. There was no misunderstanding. A room WAS booked but it was given to someone else. The responsibility for this lies with Pondok Lestari.

Uni was as disappointed as you were and also deserved an apology from Pondok Lestari because it meant that she then had a problem with the guests that had booked a room but no spare rooms.

Uni was in fact unable to give you the phone numbers of the other resorts because her phone had fallen in the sea and she didn’t have the numbers to give to you. I know you’re probably thinking that’s a pathetic excuse but if you look at Togian Sunset Beach on Facebook you will find an entry on 4th August which asks people to phone Uni on a different number because of her phone falling in the sea. It may seem like I’m making it up but if you check the entry you will find out that it’s the truth.

As far as your timekeeping concerns go, Uni was very busy with preparation for the end of Ramadan celebrations which you must appreciate is a vital part of the muslim calendar and only happens once a year. Having said that, Uni should have known that over the space of two or possibly three days delays would be inevitable and was unwise to arrange snorkelling trips for specific times. I can only apologise on Uni’s behalf and re-iterate that Ramadan only happens once a year.

The problem with the dead dog is fortunately the only time that we have had to deal with this unpleasant situation but it was dealt with in the correct way although at the time an explanation of how it would be dealt with would have been helpful.

After storms there are quite often large pieces of driftwood on the beach. If they are dragged out to sea, they come back in again with the tide. Unfortunately, the only option is to wait for the tide to go out and this was also the case with the dead dog although it was put in a sack to prevent it from decaying where it lay.

I hope that you decide to return to Sunset Beach in the future so that you can see for yourself why so many travellers are keen to write glowing reviews of their stay with us.
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Easy to go from Wakai, but definitely hard to live this wonderful place, with a great staf. Here, thanks to Uni, Papa Uni, Asna and Yasni, you really feel at home in this pure homestay. Teri makasih banyak, and hope sampai jumpa (kiss to Sam from "Oli-Bensin" !!!)
One more thing : here, I had my best food in all togian islands. Teri makasih Asna and Yasni, wonderful cooks !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We enjoyed our 3 nights stay at Sunset Beach. We met the owner Ouni, a friendly dynamic woman at Wakai and decided to stay at her resort.
Nice simple clean beach bungalow with hammock and great indonesian food. Small beach in front of the resort.
We enjoyed to spend our evening around a fire on the beach talking to the other guests.
Not a lot of activties at that place, it was more a relaxing stay; howewer we joined the snorkelling trip and the following day went to the village at low tide.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TogianSunsetBeach, Owner at Sunset Beach, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Hi Galaxy112,

all of us at Sunset Beach appreciate you using your time to write a review.

We are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us because we all try as hard as we can to make your stay pleasurable.

Every time we receive a favourable review, it makes the hard work worthwhile and gives us more incentive to keep up the high standards, because it's very rewarding to receive praise and know that another guest has had a fantastic stay at Sunset Beach.

Our guests frequently comment on the high quality, authenticity and tastiness of the food which is due to Uni's commitment to giving satisfaction to friends (Uni prefers to think of our guests as being friends rather than customers) and a large number have asked Uni for recipes or helped in the kitchen to find out which spices are used. Uni’s cooking is very quickly becoming immensely popular.

However, we are always looking for ways to improve the experience of our guests.

Having our own private beach does mean that guests can feel a bit isolated so we are hoping to bring in a few activities such as volleyball, badminton, table tennis and possibly a pool table but it’s difficult to promise anything because everything seems to take longer than planned in Indonesia.

We hope that the addition of these activities will add to the enjoyment of our more energetic guests like yourself and we hope to see you or your friends again soon.

Until then, happy travelling and don’t forget to become friends on Facebook so that we can keep in contact ! (Togian Sunsetbeach)

p.s. A friendly bit of advice to anyone that hasn't been to Sunset Beach yet, please don't expect the same standards of the Hilton or the Ritz because we are in a group of islands in the middle of nowhere and although we try our best to please our guests there are limitations due to the remote location.
Ampana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at sunset beach for 2 days, i had really great time. I feel like stay in Paradise. The place and the people are so fantastic. Snorkelling just in front of the beach and they organise snorkelling tours by boat trip guided by an experience captain. The food was so delicious and the room was so clean with running water. I really high recommended it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I love the foods, I love the place, and I love when I see the sunset.. So nice and makes me so calm.. :)
So, I think I'll be right back and I'll come with all my family..
You must try, and enjoy it.. That's my recommendation for you all..

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!