“Nice beach but SAND FLYES” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Con Dao Camping

You added Con Dao Camping to your Saves list
Con Dao Camping
2.5 of 5 Ranch   |   2 Nguyen Duc Thuan Street, Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, Vietnam   |
Prague, Czech Republic
“Nice beach but SAND FLYES”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Con dao is very nice not touristik island with the great nature. Con Dao camping bungalows are just on the beautiful beach. But there are sand flyes and after one day we were totaly bitten out, Any repelent also local /they sell in the reception/ doesn´t help.Friendly staff in the reception but they don´t speak english enough.I would like to come back to Con Dao but to stay in some other place not on the beach.

Room Tip: Choose the room in the beach front becouse mountin view is the road view in fact.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited Con Dao island a year ago in December and we fell in LOVE with the island. Honestly, for any bad reviews about Con Dao island, please disregard. I may be biased, but many out there are very judgemental when it comes to speaking about one of the oldest, history-bounded islands in Vietnam. Give this place a chance as it's beginning to open its doors for foreigners. A lot of local Vietnamese travel here as it's untamed so you may find receptionists, waiters, and tours who can't speak English as well as if you're in the city. Con Dao island IS INCOMPARABLE to Phu Quoc island where it's already touched, changed, and commercialised by tourists. For those who seek Con Dao island to be a majestic place of English speaking, Vietnamese-western style food, and pristine 5 stars hotel...you might as well go to Phu Quoc.

Con Dao is slowly becoming tourisy and I've been hesitate to write a review because honestly, I'd like to keep this place my hidden charm. We spent a week at Con Dao Camping and yes, it's "expensive" at $35 for maybe a 2-3 star bungalow stay, but it's definitely clean and everything works just fine. Since this island isn't yet a major destination, this was the cheapest choice and also the best. We asked for rooms facing the beach as it was GORGEOUS seeing the beach view from our room. There also cute little hammocks and chairs we used to sit outside and on the beach. The beach wasn't great, but we still swam and had a great time!

We drove a bit further away and found a SECRET beach a little bit next to the Six Senses where the water and sand were magnificent! We just parked our bike on the side of the rode, went thru the bushes, and down a tiny hill. We heard & saw some foreigners there so we just went. It was probably the best beach I've ever been to and I've had my fair share of travelling! It was definitely untouched and we ended up being the only two people there after the others left.

Driving around Con Dao was beautiful! Not suitable for cycling unless you want a challenge :) We watched the sunset many nights along the side of the rode, and on small areas of the rocks/beaches. No one was there on the island so everything was just so secluded and so peaceful. We were in awe with everything, we also hiked and went to beach with tiny rocks...it's what you make of the seclusion and undeveloped Con Dao! We definitely didn't get hustled or haggled, it really was one of the best trips. The prisons' visit was also very heart rending, but fascinating to learn about the relationship between Vietnam-French. Eerie little island, but so spectacular!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Well this is not the place to stay if you want to spend lots of time in your room. The bungalows are simple and clean, but pretty small. Yes, there is construction at the jetty next door, but if you request a beachfront bungalow further away from it, that shouldn't affect your stay at all. Breakfast is simple, if you are happy with a Banh Mi Trung (Omelette with Baguette) it is ok, anything more extraordinary go to town (market is a good option). You can hire a motorbike here or at the dive shop closeby. There are decent restaurant options nearby as well. On overall, I wouldn't recommend Con Dao if you are after good food and shopping. It is the place to go for pristine nature. Snorkelling, diving and bushwalking. It is an incredibly relaxing place and motorbiking around is pure joy. Ms Dung from Con Dao Camping speaks excellent English and provides great trips on where to go - so does the dive shop. The accommodation is very good value considering the prices on the island in general.

Room Tip: Beachfront away from the jetty construction
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in January, when it wasn't great weather (very windy) so we couldn't do our planned boat trips round the island. Still, plenty to do - rented bicycles to go around the island (some hills) and saw good beaches, prisons, monkeys etc. probably better to hire a scooter if you get tired easily!

The triangle huts are fine - TV, fridge, firm bed, free wifi. Feels safe, quiet enough, although the staff do work in a hut between rooms so you can hear them in the morning.

You can hear the sea all night and swing in a hammock right on the beach. Beach itself is OK, fine white sand, no rubbish. Ugly pier construction to the east though.

Had no trouble with the staff like other reviewers, they were helpful, and the owner Mrs Dung speaks good English.

Food is only average - best to get breakfast at Infiniti in town. Lunch at Thu Tam and then drink the evening away at the beach club next door.

I gave 4 stars - only place right on the beach, cheap, nice staff. Food could be better (no western options on con dao really so you expect at least a good Vietnamese breakfast, not just egg and bread)

Con dao is a sweet little village, easy to cycle around. Beaches great in places! Just wish weather had been better when we were there!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I gave this five stars because this place isn't anything spectacular but Con Dao the island itself is worth it. The accommodation is fine, nothing special but good value. Anywhere on this island is a great location, so this place is great. The beach is pretty bad, but who cares. Just go towards the airport and pass Six Senses a bit, park your bike, and walk through the bushes to discover the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. Forget the beach (I forgot the name, but it's near the airport) and the one where you have to hike to is fine, but this beach near Six Senses is the best.

Let me explain my secret gem. Six Senses is of course the most expensive/luxurious place to stay on the island. They are situated on a beautiful coast line of perfect blue waters. However, Six Senses probably only takes up about 50% of this coast. The other 50% is wide open and doesn't belong to anyone. Unfortunately, we found this on our very last day but trust me - we spent the whole day there. It's maybe 10-15 minutes from Con Dao camping via motorbike.

Also don't forget to drive to the pier/dock during sunset and just park your bike randomly to watch the sunset.

Overall, this place is great because you're on the island and can't ask for more for what you're paying.

*****PLEASE just note to bring mosquito repellent because the sand flies are NO JOKE. I am the type of person who attracts anything that bites due to richness and valuable blood and I was putting it on everyday. One day I forgot during our 5 day stay and my whole body immediately got bitten. I probably had 15-20 bites (no exaggeration) on my arms/back/legs for making that mistake. Buy it on the island or before you come, I forget the name but it's a pink bottle for about 20,000 VND or 1 USD. Can't stress this enough as I've never had such irritating bites in my life. *****

I

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Also known as Con Dao Sea Cabanas, there is no camping. Located on the edge of a sandy beach in town. Going West on the beach is all nice sand for a long stretch. You can't walk East at all; pier and sea wall construction. Separate cabins with air con, TV, stocked mini fridge and queen sized beds. There are two rows of cabins, one side facing the water and the other side facing a green belt. The showers aren't hot and are not separated from the rest of the bathroom. The rooms are cleaned daily and they do a good job. An el fresco restaurant serves breakfast only and drinks all day. The food is good. The staff are friendly and helpful and their English is good enough. There are skooter rentals but I would recommend a short walk to Dive Dive Dive; they rent scooters for the same price but you only pay for the gas you use. There are a couple of nicer places to stay in town and if you"re in to hanging around the resort all day you may want to consider them. If you're out and about all day hiking, biking and snorkeling then there isn't much to complain about Con Dao Camping; a good base for daily excursions. You may want to note that credit cards are not accepted at most places including Con Dao Camping.

Room Tip: Apparently they have trouble drying your laundry if it's raining. Some rooms offer a bit more pr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

From the photos of these cute little triangular huts we had seen before we got there, we thought they might be a little bit nicer on the inside. They were ok, but a bit tired and a couple of things needed a bit of work. The sink leaked, and I tried to tell the man on reception but he didn't understand. The location is beautiful, right on a lovely beach, that we seemed to have all to ourselves! There is some work going on, they are building a pier, which is a little noisy. You can get breakfast at reception and drinks and hire scooters, but we hired ours from Dive Dive Dive a short walk away, and there weren't any automatics available, and they were great. We also had a little furry friend visiting our room at night, a mouse! But animal friends coming in to this type of accommodation can not really be helped I suppose. If you think of this as very posh camping (lovely comfy bed, air con, fridge) and just enjoy the amazing beach right on your doorstep. Would definitely recommend for the stunning location. Also great value for money!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Con Dao Camping? Share your experiences!