“Good hotel in lovely village” 5 of 5 stars

The George Hotel & Brasserie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High St, Buckden PE19 5XA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buckden
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in lovely village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

A very nice hotel in the middle of a small village with a sunny beer garden and good restaurant. Well equipped modern rooms with friendly attentive service. Food and drink tends to be a little expensive, the breakfast was freshly cooked to order

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Richard O, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review.
Myself and the team were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back in very soon.

Richard O'Leary.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We visited on a Saturday, booking for lunch. We were shopping at Anne Furbank, love that shop.
The restaurant was empty but the bar adjacent was noisy with a wedding party. The Assistant Manager showed us to our table. The table was near the noisy bar and in the middle of two thoroughfares. We asked to be seated elsewhere but this didn't go down too well with the Assistant Manager, who appeared to be belligerent and moody. The restaurant was empty so we were finally allowed to have a different table.
The service was ok, there were lots of young waiting staff who were very friendly and trying hard. The food was ok. I had the risotto which was nice. I was told that the carrot and cumin soup was just a bowl of cumin soup and after tasting it I agreed.
We had to wait a long time to get attention for a coffee order at the end of the meal.
It's a shame but we won't go back.

A better ambience of the place and attitude of some staff could vastly improve the place.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had saturday lunch here, ordering from the table d´hôte menu provided, which has a selection of 5 starters, main ands desserts. It's £20 for two courses, or £25 for three. We'd booked in advance, and were taken to a table which is essentially slap bang in the middle of a thoroughfare to the bar area. Since the restaurant was entirely empty, I asked for a different table, but assistant manager Samantha reacted as if I'd asked her for a lightly grilled ferret. Nevertheless, we were moved. We opted for the two courses, and they brought out some bread while we chose. I wouldn't normally comment on restaurant bread, but this stuff was notable by virtue of being really unpleasant, with a really odd texture and a peculiar flavour. I started with the carrot and cumin soup, which was all cumin and no carrot. Essentially, bad curry sauce. We all tried some and the consensus was that it was deeply foul. I couldn't eat it. The supplied croutons were made of the same nasty bread. Happily my mum reported that the goujons (lemon sole, I think) were excellent. We had some mains come out at the same time, a passable risotto, and some duck tagliatelle that my dad thoroughly enjoyed. We had the 'homecut fries' as a side, which are essentially giant squared off slabs of potato, which have been fried and refried many times, and are dry, stodgy and unappetizing. For dessert, I heard excellent reports on the rum savarin (I think this is the new Restaurant Speak for a 'rum baba'!) and the chocolatey browney thing the mrs had (sorry I can't be more precise, the menu on their website is not the same as the one we were offered). I had the 'ermitage brie' -- which was thoroughly excellent. You get some grapes and a generous helping of cheese, but no butter and only four crackers, which just looks stingy. If you ask however, the staff are happy to bring you butter and a plentiful supply of crackers that are more up to the job. We finished off with a round of coffees while the women-folk went shopping, coffee which was so good we had to have seconds. Finally, our bill was brought by Samantha, who seemed to have regained her good humour in the interim.

In summary, it's a nice environment, with sttentive and helpful staff, but we felt that the quality of the food didn't warrant the price they were asking, albeit in minor areas which would be easy to fix.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, June 26, 2014

I was sorry to read your comments regarding the items you and your guests ordered.

We make all of our bread by hand, freshly everyday - we receive so many positive comments regarding the homemade bread that we have chosen not to go down the route of buying less expensive and less time consuming frozen bread.
You have stated you found the soup foul - I do hope you mentioned this to a member of staff and that they replaced this immediately, therefore, rectifying the situation?
The hand cut chips are indeed made from slices of potato. I can confirm that they are never re fried many times - Again, I do hope you mentioned to the staff that you didn't find them satisfactory and that they replaced them for you?
Rum savarin is strongly inspired by rum baba, but is soaked with a different alcohol mix and uses a circular cake mould rather than a cylindrical mould.
Samantha, our Assistant manager receives many comments on her helpful and positive attitude towards our guests and she has recently been promoted for this reason. I am sure, had you asked her for a lightly grilled ferret, she would have gone above and beyond her duties to provide this for you.
The menus on the website should mention that they are a 'sample' menu only. We will of course look into this to make sure that this is clearly stated.

Once again, I am sorry we failed to please you on this occasion.

Regards.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

A 50th anniversary private area dinning for 10 guests. We arrive and enter very nice room ony 8 chairs around the table? no staff came to check if we all are ok. Found a staff member and chairs arrived several minutes later. This was a regular occurrence by the staff throughout the meal nothing arrived at the table together. I did not complain as my wife and I were guests. The Food was good what everybody ordered, but the service was NOT slick. I hope the management read this review because in the trade they are in place and you can go up in ratings as well as down very quickly.
To the CHEFand Owners get a grip of the waiting staff as Your reputation is on the line if the food does not arrive TOGETHER.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your recent trip to the George.

The Kitchen team were very pleased to hear you found the food to be good.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you say you encountered on the day, I will try to address as follows:

The chairs had not all been placed in the room when two guests arrived early as staff had only just finished cleaning/hoovering. The chairs were all in place 45 minutes before the rest of the party arrived.
One staff member was allocated to the room throughout the day, the same staff member who took the drinks and wine order from the hosts, and delivered them to the room.
I can confirm that the food did not take any longer than usual to be delivered from the kitchen bearing in mind the kitchen is not situated next door to the room as it is the Brasserie.
The allocated staff member was also hand to check if everything was ok throughout the meal.
I can also confirm that at the end of the meal the hosts came to say what a lovely day they had and the food and service had been excellent.

Please accept my apologies you did not enjoy the day as much as the hosts did.

Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I held our wedding here on the 24th May, it all turned out fantastic thanks to the staff and especially Sam the assistant manager. After many management changes Sam dealt with us and she went above and beyond through out the day. All the staff at the George were fantastic, everyone is still talking about how nice the food was. Our day couldn't of turned out as well without the dedication of the staff.

They decorated the hotel fantastically and did everything how we wanted. Our room was huge and very clean, everyone was especially pleased with their different rooms. Outer haven't heard one complaint.

We can't thank the George and Sam enough for making our day so special!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mr & Mrs Beadsworth,

Firstly - May I congratulate you both on your recent wedding held here with us. I hope you are both enjoying married life and enjoyed your honeymoon.

Secondly - Thank you for your lovely review. Samantha, myself and the rest of the team who worked with you during the planning of your wedding and on the day, were delighted to read how happy you were.

We look forward to welcoming you all the back very soon.

Hurghada, Al Bahr al Ahmar, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Visited The George ,many times now , with friends and family , what can I say ,well never been disappointed . Been for drinks, lunch and dinner , its not cheap but you get what you pay for , the food is excellent ,service outstanding ,the staff very good . Some times a little slow when busy . No complaints from us . Well done The George .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for your very positive review.

The kitchen and front of house team, along with myself, were delighted to read how much you enjoy your visits to The George.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

cambridgeshire,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I felt I had to write a rare review on Tripadvisor after my daughters wedding here last weekend 17 th May.
Firstly I will write a short review of the rooms as we stayed in two on Friday night- the Eliot and Bernard Shaw. Both were beautifully decorated with a nice bath and powerful shower over. Nice toiletries and two bottles of water provided. My only slight criticism of staying is that there are no tea and coffee making facilities provided in rooms- this I found is really rare nowadays as every place I have stayed in the last 3-4 years have provided these.They do state in their information book that if you telephone reception they will be brought up- this did happen but took a short while as staff are very busy at all times , and surely providing these facilities would spare staff of this extra ? Unnecessary task. Apart from this the overnight stay was very comfortable.
My daughter chose to have her wedding ceremony and afternoon reception here as their Orangery caters for up to 40 guests and has a private garden attached . There is also plenty of parking provided at back of hotel . Every possible problem we thought of beforehand were always dealt with efficiently by email or a quick visit. Amy had two wedding co- ordinators there : Lorela ( since left ) and Amanda- both were efficient.
The wedding day itself was just perfect . My worry about the hotel being very busy on a Saturday , therefore ? Imposing on Amy's wedding was totally wrong- all staff were so efficient and made every effort to ensure our wedding ran smoothly. They listened to our wishes and ran everything like clockwork- a special thank you must be made to Samantha who ushered everyone around before ceremony ensuring Amy made her special entrance , ensured the Pimms was ready after ceremony, and the table was set to Amy and James' wishes for the meal. The food was absolutely outstanding- everybody commented on the monkfish starter in particular: delicious! All staff were so efficient and courteous and an asset to this hotel. Richard (? Manager) also made a point of asking if everything was ok and ensuring it all ran smoothly. The weather also helped staying sunny all day. If anyone is wondering where to hold a small, private special event I believe this place takes some beating for their facilities, food, staff and general ambiance . Thank you again for making my daughters wedding perfect in every way.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Mrs Lince,

Thank you so much for your recent review.

I have passed your comments on to all members of the team who were involved in your daughter and son in laws wedding.

It is always a pleasure to read such positive reviews and see that all our staffs efforts are so well received.

We hope to welcome you all back in the near future.

Richard O'Leary.

Been to The George Hotel & Brasserie? Share your experiences!