“Happy days at the Lion, Buckden” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buckden
The Lion Hotel
Bridge Street - Belper -, Buckden PE19 5XA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Buckden
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Happy days at the Lion, Buckden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had heard of the Lion situated in Buckden and when friends suggested we stayed there, we looked at the reviews prior to committing ourselves. We wasted our time in doing so. Upon arrival, very friendly people met us. Checking in was easy. Having settled in we sought afternoon tea, it was similar to a banquet, beautifully presented and maybe a little too much on the plate but better to leave an amount of food rather than leave with an amount of disappointment.

The room was spacious, very clean, plenty of tea and coffee and a very comfortable bed.

Later in the evening, a group of 10 sat down for dinner, and again the food was tremendous and still no option to leave hungry!

Checking out the following day was easy, but no feeling of 'you've paid, now leave'.

Overall, we were made very welcomed and yes, we would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Aberlour, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, mainly because of it's location. However I will not be staying there again. The whole place is in desperate need of renovation, and requires a thorough "deep clean". It is very obvious that nothing is being spent on this hotel in the way of maintenance, and the whole place is run on a "shoestring". The rooms give a feeling of grubbiness----the carpets and bed-covers are dirty, there is mould around the bath edges, and the showers don't work properly.
My last stay was for two nights. When I returned at the end of day one, the room had not been made up ( a couple of towels had been placed on the dirty carpet outside the door).
The staff (with one notable exception) were fine, but the "notable exception" needs to go on a course to learn how not to treat your guests---even a couple of polite words such as "good morning" would be a start!
I did'nt have dinnner here, so can't comment, but the breakfast was average, despite the pot of tea being luke-warm. I did'nt want to incur the wrath of the "notable exception" by asking for another pot of tea, so I drank my orange juice and left vowing never to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Buckden hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Two words: Basil Fawlty. Not really sure why someone with an evident lack of any empathy with his customers would want to run a business in the hotel trade. I booked two twin rooms a couple of months before. Four of us arrived after cycling 90 miles, to find that we had only one room booked. Apparently " if I had booked two rooms I would have been given two booking references" And I'm meant to know that how exactly? No apology of course. All the other staff are very nice- but their boss manages to outweigh all their best efforts. You may strike lucky and have a nice stay here- the risk is yours.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a bad review about a hotel. People very nice, food in the restaurant good, but room very poor indeed . Toilet dirty (poo), hairs/dirt and mold in the bathroom , bedroom very tired and just not clean. We checked in in the afternoon and thought we would suffer it for one night, we ate in the restaurant the food and service was very good. We returned to our room and decided we would drive back to kent rather than sleep in the room. I had already paid as I booked online but for the sake of £60 I am glad we left. I took the key to reception but there were only junior members of staff available whom was very nice albeit a bit embarrassed . They made sure the management had my details before we left , I did not expect anyone to contact me as they already had taken my money, i was right. Please don't book a room here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Watlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We chose this hotel due to its character and location, being close to Brampton Racecourse where the next morning at 8am I was due to participate in a 100 km cycling sportive. This bit is important as an early start with a good breakfast inside you is essential, and most places will look to accommodate you somehow. However we were brusquely told by Mr Grumpy that they did not start until 7am so no cooked breakfast until 8:30am...though the sign outside said 7:30am. No flexibility offered, which could have been a big problem, so we had to resort to one of those "pot noodle" type porridge ready meals, bought next door in the "one stop" shop. That apart, the evening meal was good, very well presented and prepared. The two waitresses were attentive, friendly and obvious assets to the place. I cannot say the same of Mr. Grumpy, we were quite glad not to be served by him due to his lack of personality and poor person hygiene - believe it or not, this is important to your guests ! The bedroom itself was large with a 4 poster bed, and seemed clean and well kept. The shower however was a waste of time, you choose scalding or ice cold, nothing in between. as a post script, my wife did get the cooked breakfast after dropping me off at the starting line, apparently the breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hereford, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The room was fine, I had a four poster bed and a large room. The shower awful, it was a combi-tap affair which dropped pressure the moment it was switched to shower. so cold then scalding in turns. The shower head did not go high enough for anyone over 5'8'', just dreadful. but the worst was waiting downstairs, the information in the rooms say breakfast is from 7.30 ( late for business travellers anyhow) but continental breakfast available from 7am. Clearly Grumpy on the desk did not think this should be. At 7.10am I asked if tea and toast was available to which he snapped at me that 'we start work at 7, so we are not ready yet, the grills are not warmed up...' and on he went. So I asked if I could check out ready to go straight after tea and toast and he got louder and said ' I told you, that we don't start until 7 so the computers are not ready yet' waving at the screen behind me to show me what he meant. the young waitress looked embarrassed and I was shocked by the outburst. I walked back into the bar area and the other guests all rolled their eyes as if they knew how I felt as they were waiting for the continental to be available too. By this time there were 8 of us guests waiting. We were permitted to sit down about 7.20 and we were not allowed order anything hot until 7.30. By this time all of us did not order anything hot, this is an excellent money saving ploy. This encounter left me very disappointed and quite annoyed for the whole of the journey to my workplace. The price of the Lion is competitive given the cost of the George across the road, however the following week I stayed at the George (lovely place to stay) as I felt that I was not willing to stay at the Lion in case Grumpy strikes again. My advice to Grumpy is to cross the road and see what excellent customer service looks like or find a more suitable career.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

For £9.95 we had the most amazing two course lunch at this tradtional style coaching inn. The chef is fantastic. The presentation was gorgeous and the food delicious. Just the right size portions too. They are very lucky to have such a talent inhouse.

Will definitely visit again when we are in the area. It is a good (& cheaper) option to hotels/restaurant in Huntingdon and only about 6 miles south.

Nice friendly service as well. Enjoyed coffee in the small garden after lunch on the nice comfy furniture.

We did not stay overnight.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!