“excellent overnighter- jubilee bonfire night” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dufferin Coaching Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Killyleagh
Dufferin Coaching Inn
You added Dufferin Coaching Inn to your Saves list
33 High Street, Killyleagh BT30 9QF, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killyleagh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bolton, United Kingdom
“excellent overnighter- jubilee bonfire night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Arrived in a rush,greeted warmly and felt very comfortable and relaxed since we had to book in and be out again in 15 mins. On arrival,found we had been upgraded to a very comfy,large room with great attention to detail and everything very clean and organised. Breakfast superb,the best we have had in a long time and again attention to detail with a muesli and fruit,ready prepared to a high standard. An interesting inn in an interesting area which we hope to visit again in the future,upgrade not influencing our decision at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Rathnew, Owner at Dufferin Coaching Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Hi Barbara
What a lovely review thank you. The Diamond Jubilee Celebrations went very well evryone enjoyed the evening especially the children. Do come back and see us soon you were delightful guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Having enjoyed the fantastic Sea Safari on Strangford lough we had a wonderful end to the experience through our stay at this excellent, warm and friendly Inn. Leontine was welcoming and friendly; the perfect Inn keeper. I have read with interest some of the more negative comments about the Dufferin Inn...with surprise, and indeed amazement. My experience was in complete contrast to some of these negative comments...we were made feel welcome; our room was clean, warm and certainly more than adequate. The bed was, in my opinion, most comfortable and the facilities were excellent. Leontine was a very generous and pleasant host...I couldn't fault her in any way. Breakfast was first class...unhurried and of excellent standard.

My thanks to Alex & Phil for this very generous gift and for finding this gem on our doorstep. I will certainly be back to the Dufferin Inn...well done Leontine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Phil and Alex. It was lovely to meet your father he thoroughly enjoyed the Sea Safari. Thank you for writing such a positive review it made me feel quite proud to be the owner of this lovely old creaky Inn makes the hard work worth while
Kind regards
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The locked door was swiftly answered, our bicycles were quickly and securely stowed away, our restaurant booking was checked and kindly re-booked as no record of it was found, the requested early breakfast was most graciously provided. In short nothing seemed to be too much trouble for Leontine. The rooms were luxurious, well beyond expectation and the fresh home made breakfast produce a real treat. If there was any disappointment it was that the water was more luke warm than hot which, after 50 miles in the saddle, was a little disappointing. The stay however remains a highlight of our trip.

Room Tip: Little traffic noise to affect rooms on the front. Pub may be noisy but we did not hear it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Experience 23. What a delightful review thank you for taking the time to write it. Loved your comment about my speedy arrival at the front door letting you in quickly. Hope your breakfast gave you wings to cycle even faster and that you enjoyed the rest of your trip around Northern Ireland. I was very disappointed that you did not have piping hot water I don't know what happened as the hot water is always very hot and plentiful but not on your arrival apologies for that.
Best wishes
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I recently 'purchased' a gift stay voucher for my Father for his birthday. I did this on-line from Australia and Leontine could not have been more helpful. I booked the more expensive room to ensure a real treat for Dad. Unfortunatley when he finalised his booking it was the Bank Holiday week-end and the room I chose was gone. Leontine was kind enough and honest enough to refund the difference, in kind of food and beverages, (as we had previously discussed).
Dad and his partner had a magnificent time, and I thank Leontine and the Dufferin Coaching Inn for their generous hospitality and excellent service.
The rating I have selected is based on a conversation with my father after his stay.

Room Tip: Email in advance and be sure to check Bank Holiday Holidays if booking outside of, UK this Inn is ve...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Wesleydonnellstraid. Big thank you for your very kind words and thank you for taking the time to write the review. So glad that you found me helpful and sensational !! my head is now twice the Size it was before I read about your fathers stay at the Dufferin Coaching Inn. It was lovely to meet bth him and his partner hope fully they will return in the very near future.
Best wishes
Portrush, Co. Antrim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Arrived around 4.00p.m to check in to find front door locked. Weren't sure how to get access and had wandered away when owner opened door & told us we hadnt given her enough time to get to the door. Our room was comfortable with a separate sitting area but had very creaky floorboards. We spent the afternoon/evening in the pub/restaurant next door and were given a front door key to get back in to the hotel. Breakfast was good and we left afterwards, seeing noone on the way out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dana 20. Its always good to know what guests feel about their stay at the Dufferin Coaching Inn. The creaky floor boards in your room have had the hammer and nail treatment and just give a very quiet groan now. I have to keep the front door shut if not I find total strangers wandering around the Inn which is also my home and a Bed & Breakfast but not a hotel. The keys to the front door and your room are a requisite in order for you to come and go as you wish. What a shame you did not pop down to the breakfast room to say good bye before you left no doubt I was still busy serving breakfast and chatting to guests. I do hope you enjoyed your evening at the Dufferin Arms (separate business to the Inn) the name Dufferin originates from Ava of Dufferin the family who used to own much of the land around Killyleagh including the High Street.
Kind regards Leontine
Bangor, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I think one of trip advisor's great strengths is that it helps us travellers to know what to expect when we book a stay away from home. We can read the views of others and then make our own minds up based on, not just based on the reviews on this site, but on all the other factors which matter to us including budget/location etc. I think we should also bear in mind the power that our reviews have; they have the ability to make, or indeed break, someone's business. It therefore makes me disappointed when I see unnecessarily negative reviews. I don't really know what they achieve. I also think we have to be careful what we wish for as I for one do not want our landscape to be filled with any more chain supermarkets/coffee shops/fast food restaurants or hotels. As useful as these establishments can be, in the right context, there is so much more to life than that.

If you want predictability, uniformity and absolutely no surprises, then be my guest - choose one of the many many boring but functional hotel chains out there which have turned banality in to a dark art. If however you like to live a little and can cope with the shock that that your tooth mug might not be wrapped in a plastic sleeve marked 'sterile' and that the decor does not look exactly like every other hotel room you have ever seen before then choose hotels like this one. Embrace the very things about these hotels which make them unique and enjoy a night away in an establishment not clinging to the edge of a motorway lay-by and not staffed by bored automatons (I am speaking from experience as I used to be a bored automaton myself). Take the chance that you might be surprised.

Rant over, I will now actually review the Dufferin Coaching Inn. In short we loved it. It is a very old (early 1800s) building which is decorated in a tasteful period style and is suitability high ceilinged and creaky and all the more delightful for it. Our room was very cosy (ditto a previous reviewer - we loved the electric blanket too) - large and well appointed with a very comfy bed and good quality pristine linens. The breakfast was plentiful and a proper 'Full Irish' complete with potato bread and soda; just the way it should be. The setting is very special as it is only a few doors down from the entrance to the fairytale Killyleagh Castle and next door to the very atmospheric Dufferin Arms. We couldn't believe the value we got - I think this Inn is punching well above its weight as a 3 star. As for our host - Leontine could not have been more helpful. We had an issue with our bathroom light quite late in the evening during our stay and she came straight up to fix it. She also upgraded us to a better room for the same price when we had to change the date of our stay as the original room we had chosen was not available. As this change was our fault, I thought this gesture was above the call of duty and as such really appreciated it.

If you want a taste of genuine Irish hospitality and a great night's sleep choose the Dufferin Coaching Inn - you will not be disappointed (unless you like your tooth mug to come in a little plastic bag in which case you should go and stay in the Bland Inn and leave lovely little boltholes like this for the rest of us).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rathnew, Owner at Dufferin Coaching Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Rubyshoes5
I have just written replies to my recent reviews, to my horror noticed that the reply that I posted to your absolutely fabulous review did not find its way to you. Big apology for that don't know what went wrong. So let me put the situation right by saying huge thanks for your delightful review including the rant bit!! I really do appreciate the time and thought that went into the review. I was so pleased that you enjoyed all we have to offer at the Inn. We really do try our best to make everyones stay enjoyable and memorable.
All best wishes
Aspen, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I like to be honest in my reviews, even though I know some of the tough stuff is difficult for Innkeepers to read. However, it's important.

Here's the good: This place is a beautiful old home with tons of character in a perfect location. It's in the heart of downtown Killyleagh, with a beautiful walk to the water. Breakfast was really delightful and tasty. I was not eating much for breakfast due to being pregnant and dealing with some food aversions, but I found the porridge to be nice and my companions enjoyed their hot, delicious breakfasts.

Now, the not so good. It appears we are not the first to have an "unwelcoming" experience. It wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't welcoming. Our host was rather abrupt and not overly gracious. We asked her about dining next door and she said she would call to make reservations for us, but she never did and never called us about it. We felt, almost the entire time, like we were bothering her and invading her space.

In addition, as it was quite warm, I asked her if she had a fan we could use and she said, "No. If you would have told me you needed one, I would have gotten one for you." Well, I certainly wasn't aware that it was going to be this warm during my stay, so I didn't think to ask. Unfortunately, I felt like the stupid one which is never how a guest should fell. It's not like I asked for a 52" TV.

With that, we slept with the window open (with no other choice - it got quite stuffy without it) and dealt with the constant noise from the pub next door. Needless to say, we didn't sleep overly well.

We were contemplating adding a night onto this experience, but decided against it. I am not sure if I would return and I am certainly glad that others have had such positive experiences.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Rathnew, Owner at Dufferin Coaching Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear iheartco25
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Dufferin Coaching Inn. Glad to read that you enjoyed the building your breakfast and Killyleagh itself. Now to the not so good. I am sorry and disappointed that you found my welcome wanting. It must have completely slipped my mind to book your table at the Dufferin Arms please accept my apology hopefully my forgetfulness did not effect your enjoyment of your meal there. Regarding my response to your request for a fan I think I must have been so surprised to be asked for a fan that I gave you such a strange answer. It was never my intention to make you feel stupid.
All best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy
Kind regards Leontine

Been to Dufferin Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!