“Beaut! Ollie” 5 of 5 stars

San Andres, al frente de la plaza civica, Canoa EC132251, Ecuador   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Canoa B&B and Inns
“Beaut! Ollie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

A tremendous hostel, lovely place, great rooms plus shower, perfectly apart but near the action, delicious food and most memorably the people. Lorreanna and her family are amazing and made our time there the perfect experience

• Stayed August 2013

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We ended up at Amalur for three nights after bad experiences at two other places in Canoa and boy were we pleased we did! Nice, simple rooms; reliable hot water; lovely sandy courtyard to sit in; delicious food and most of all warm and generous hosts Diego and Lorena. This was the perfect place to kick back and relax for the last few days of our holiday (and treat ourselves to their amazing desserts!) A big thank you to Lorena, Diego and baby Luna!

• Stayed August 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Hostal Amalur and higly recommend it as a place to relax and enjoy Canoa! The warm, friendly and extremely helpful owners, Diego and Lorena make you feel right at home and went out of their way to help me as I found myself in difficult circumstances with a non-functioning bank card, yikes!

Room Tip: Take cash with you to Canoa as their is no ATM in town but there is one a short and cheap bus ride t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We recently stayed at Amalur for a week in August and had a wonderful time. The main pluses for me are the people and food.

The owners of the hotel (Lorena/Diego) made us feel welcome from the off and were attentive throughout, whilst the Catalan couple who run the restaurant in the evenings were also an absolute pleasure.

The other massive positive was the food. From the breakfast menu I recommend the fruit bowl and in the evening my favourites were the pulpo a la gallega (squid) and the chicken in pepper sauce. Breakfast is under 5 bucks and dinner should be under 10 (including a beer or glass of wine). The food in Canoa is great, I'd recommend Saboreame if you eat out in the town, though it is great that Amalur offers something different to the typical Ecuadorian dishes at a reasonable price.

Re rest, hotel v clean/hygenic. Laundry service available daily at 1buck a kilo of clothes. The patio area and hammocks on the roof also good spots to chill.

I would happily go back if I returned to Canoa.

Enjoy your stay!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dresden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We did not stay there but came over to have some meals there and it was really good food for a fair price every time!!!

For breakfast I recommend the Spanish omelet, was great!!!

Have a save trip
Richard

PS: The hotel itself left a good impression.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Canoa, Ecuador
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The room was nice, although the toilet clearly had not been cleaned (poop in the bowl). The people were also very friendly until some problems occurred...

I booked a room online based upon the information on their web site which indicated "$12 per person per night." When I arrived and got a room, nothing was said to the contrary. When I left I was charged $20, even though I pointed out the discrepancy on their site. They said they "always" confirm the price online, but I received no such confirmation - so???

Additionally, I had told them I didn't know how long I would be staying. They indicated they had a room for me if I elected to stay longer than the first night, but when I went down the next morning I was told they had booked all their rooms and didn't have any left for me!

I don't encounter these kinds of surprises often, and I hate them when they occur. Surely there is a better way to communicate with one's guests???

Room Tip: Make sure you clarify EVERYTHING with the owners before booking a room, especially if you are bookin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
amalurCanoa, Owner at Amalur Hostal Restaurante, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hola Caroline!We were expecting your review. When a guest write an email booking for one night and at the arrival time I ask about how many nights would like to stay and you said one night in both occasions then we don´t have to insist more. Even you have said that you will go to see the house of a friend that you have met because maybe you will sleep there. After that I don´t have the responsability of going after the guests or guess if you are going to stay longer. At night other people came and book the room for the next day, I don´t have to give you any explanation because a hostel work like this, if a room is empty and we don´t have more bookings for that day and other people wants the room we do the normal thing of booking it for them. The hostel was full and I´m sorry you didn´t plan better your holidays but is not my fault. We respect the bookings and yours was for one night and the next day I told you the first thing in the morning so you would have more time to look for other room in case you wanted to stay and actually in that moment we still didn´t know your plans because we still don´t have the availability of reading our guest´s minds.
About the price maybe you are right and is not enough clear in the website, because is $12 per person in a double room. Maybe if you would have explain yourself polite, calm and not screaming at me I would have change my mind but you made us feel really bad with your behaviour and my students and our guest who saw all the situation were thinking exactly the same and they support our action. We have treat you good and with respect from the begining until you left with bad manners
About the cleaning , after seen your attitude, obviously you want to damage our reputation . We check every room after the cleaning because is something very important for us and we know it was clean
Anyway hope you had good time in Canoa and enjoy your travel
Regards
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

after staying two nights at another hostel at the beach road we had to move away from the noisy area and found this lovely quiet piece of heaven just 2 minutes away from the beach. we stayed in a double room with attached bathroom and hot shower. wifi was working well in the room and also everywhere else on the property.

the owners diego and lorena are just great and seem to be born to run this place and they make you feel welcome from the very first second. there is as well a restaurant in the hostal where you can get some delicious salads, sandwiches, seafood and ecuadorian/spanish food beside real coffee and homemade cakes. relaxing with a cold pilsener on the roof with sea view in one of the hammocks or in the backyard in the comfty chairs is just great.

canoa is small so everything is reachable within 3 minutes walk from the hostal, bars, restaurants, shops and of course the beach.

we took as well some spanish lessons (beginner and advanced) with lorena in the hostal. we could not imagine having a better teacher for us, and it's just so comfortable to have everything at the same location. good food, coffee, music, people, atmosphere and fun while learning.

Room Tip: there is no bad room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amalur Hostal Restaurante? Share your experiences!