“Do not stay here.” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
CumbriaUK
“Do not stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I planned to stay here for a weekend, for a family get together where 5 of us were going to see the X Factor Tour. My sister lives close by and normally we would all stay together there, however due to me being heavily pregnant and having disturbed sleep at the moment I decided I would stay here for the weekend so I didn't disturb everyone else in the house.
Big Mistake.
I checked in around 6 pm and dropped off my bags. On the surface the room appeared spacious for one person and more importantly clean. I then left to spend the evening with my family, returning around 9.30 pm to get an early night. Firstly I had a shower. The trickle of water out of the shower head was a joke, it would have been far easier attaching a hose pipe to the sink and using that in the shower cubicle, as I literally had to run around under it to get wet. Then when I happened to glance at the plug hole there was a hair ball of long black hairs on it, disconcerting to say the least when I have very short hair.
Next comes getting into bed. I pulled off the throw to reveal what looked like a clean duvet cover, however when the duvet was pulled back the fitted bed sheet revealed its own horrors. It was rubbed so thin it was transparent, and very "bobbled". I have nothing against old bed linen, provided it was once of a good quality and is still perfectly functonal. However this was clearly cheap, old and nasty. It wouldn't even have used it as a floor cloth it was so thin. Next came the stains. There were flecks all over it where I suspect blood has been washed out of it on a number of previous occasions. Roughly where you chin would be if you had your head on a pillow was a large discoloured stain. I strongly suspect this has been sicked on at some time in the past and washed. Not very nice at all.
So by this point I decided I would fold the duvet in half and sleep between that, so I pulled one half over the other. This revealed that the duvet cover hadn't actually been pulled down to the bottom of the duvet properly, so I had an excellent view of the actual duvet underneath. Disgusting. Stained a whole range of browns and yellows. By this stage my mind was firmly made up so I went and told the staff of the state of the room, and the fact I wasn't going to stay nor was I prepared to pay anything. To their credit they accepted this so by 10.30 pm I returned and spent a lovely time at my sisters, despite keeping people up during the night.
I would certainly not recommend this place to stay, despite it being in an excellent location for the city centre and relatively close to a metro stop and the M60.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Many thanks for leaving your review as customer feedback is always important to us.
Sorry that I have not responded earlier but I was only made aware of your review last night by a regular customer of ours. I found your review of my hotel extremely upsetting, very unfair and immensely damaging to my business.
Cleanliness is of paramount importance to us here and in all our years, to my knowledge, this is the first time that this has been called into disrepute. We have well over 100 reviews on the Internet to back this up.
Unfortunately on your hasty departure many of the points you have brought up in your review we not mentioned to us. When you approached a member of staff to say that you were not satisfied with your room you declined the offer of a new room without viewing, and claimed that you would prefer to stay with your sister. This was the first case of this type and I felt my staff acted very appropriately by confirming that you would not be charged for your room, and assisting you by carrying your luggage from your bedroom to your car.

I will try to address the points you have mentioned.
We have had a long-term illness to our housekeeper so please forgive my vagueness. I was only made aware of your complaint of the duvet and checked it the following morning. I was far from happy with the age and state of this so changed it immediately. This led me to check all the duvets in the hotel and I have replaced all the ones that a felt we showing any signs of age.
As for having stains on the sheets, this is the first I have heard of this so I cannot comment on your experience, but I have taken all our sheets out and I cannot see any sign of these. What I have found, however, is that some of the sheets were aging, which I like to think my housekeeper would have pointed out to me, and they have been replaced. As a 4 star establishment you are not allowed to have inferior bed linen, but your comments have been taken on board and I have “upped” our new linen to 100% Egyptian cotton.
In regards to the shower, I have tested it this morning and found no fault with it at all. This has led me to think that perhaps you were not aware on how to use the shower, so I am going to print clear instructions and post them by the shower door. In regards to the cleanliness, it was perfectly clean today, although your stay was over three weeks ago so again I cannot comment.

I’m very sorry that you were not satisfied with the level service provided to you, and just wish you took us up on our offer of trying another room to attempt to rectify any issues rather than staying at your sisters and then issuing us our first 1 out of 5 rating on the world wide web.

Garvan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

good rooms great food and exelant service will stay again in future.

Room Tip: Small family hotel given a choice of rooms all looked good
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review. It was great to have you stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Was reccomended by a work colleague.
a very friendly hotel
Great staff
Great food
Great rooms
Great price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, customer feedback is always important to us. It looks like we have ticked all your boxes and hope to continue to do so in the future.

lossiemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

getting there from motorway simple, when arrived a really nice welcome, was there for a family gathering and was told by my auntie who is from sale that the hotel is one of the best in the area and she was coirrect. staff really sound, food up to pair, had curry was decent,breakfast both mornings, magic, just magic. room clean, the bed was a good sleep, shower was hot and clean, all round really good weekend, 10.30 on a sunday for me was a bit early to check out,, 11am 11.30am would be grand,

but i would easy stay there again and prob will the next time im in sale,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
EskdaleLodge, Manager at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Many thanks for leaving your review, customer feedback is always important to us. "One of the best hotels in the area" - I'm happy with that! All of a sudden my faith in what we do is being restored.
In regards to the check out, as I have mentioned in a previous response, this is something I am looking at extending - watch this space! I think you should come and visit your Auntie more often, come and stay with us and see if I good to my word!

Many thanks again.

Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

eskadale was recommend by my sister-in-law who lives in sale. We are happy to say that her judgement was top class, television and free wifi in bedroom was excellent . We ate there the first night and the food was excellent also breakfast was worth money. Prefect location for the trafford centre also easy to find when coming off motorway. Owners and staff vwhere very friendly rest of our family came to meet us on friday night and they where friendly to them too. I would def pick this hotel again and also recommend this hotel .

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review, your comments are very much appreciated. We were made up that all of your family had a terrific weekend and were happy to play a small part in this.
Many thanks again.

Bodmin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Having stayed ay the Eskdale Lodge previously I was confident that my recent stay on the 29/30 Oct would once again prove to be of the same high standard and I was not disappointed. Whilst the room was not particularly large, it was clean and comfortable with all the usual extras one would expect. The staff were very friendly and we received a warm welcome from the owner. The menu was quite diverse and given the number of diners each evening it was obviously cooked to a high standard. Breakfast was full and of good value. Overall another excellent stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you Richard for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm very glad to here that you felt that we have kept up our high standards and that your enjoyed your stay with us again.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed for one night on sat 22- oct .If you read most of the reviews you will be disappointed. It was late when we arrived went into one of the bars were we met one of the staff there was no hello im so and so welcome to the eskdale lodge just a i will show you to your room,where we were told breakfast finished at 9-30 thought this was very early for a sunday and we had to check-out by 10-30 again thought this was very early.Room was big and clean with t.v and tea making facilities,beds were poor new matress badly needed ,bathroom again poor needs a lick of paint and a bit of d.i.y it was the first time i have been in a hotel where there was no shower gel in the shower come bath.Was looking forward to breakfast where i had orange juice(very watery) porridge( not much oats in it but it was hot with milk) and full english again hot everything was good except the rashers over cooked.If you have everything breakfast is o.k price wise if not it is pricey. Same girl checked us out dont no her name eskdale lodge with a few improvements is good value is a 5 min drive to old trafford, would i stay again yes if the few things i mentioned above were improved especially the matress.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review as we value all customer feedback Having had excellent communication with yourself prior to arrival we were disappointed that you felt it appropriate to leave such a review without first bringing your issues to our attention whilst you were with us.
My wife Grazyna checked you in well after 10pm and felt that, having travelled for so long with your two children, you wanted to get to your room as soon as possible. Grazyna showed you all to your room and informed you about bar hours/ free WiFi etc.
All our bedrooms have been renovated in the past 5 years with many, such as the room you were residing in, having their en-suite touched up and retiled. Although I found the description of “poor” very harsh, there is a renovation program set in place to install complete new suites starting from January 2012. All our en-suites come with hand wash, moisturizer, cotton wool, shower caps, cotton buds, wrapped soap, sewing kits, shampoo, and shower gels. I can only apologize if our chamber maid overlooked topping up your shower gel, but this issue could have been easily resolved had you asked us at the time.
I would prefer if you could contact me further in regards to the mattress. Many people have stayed since you and claimed they have had a great nights sleep. Could the mattress just be down to personal preference?
At breakfast all our produce is either bought locally ie Bacon & sausages from Taylors, commonly known as the best butcher in the area, or Brand named ie Kelloggs cornflakes, Warburton farmhouse bread, Heinz beans and tomato sauce, Quakers porridge etc but yours is the first comment of heard about “not much oats” in the porridge or “watery orange juice”. On the contrary, we had one of our bi annual impromptu hotel inspections a couple of weeks prior to your arrival and were awarded 4 out of 5 for our breakfast. Given that 5 being the best mark given to the best hotels around the world, we feel that this is quite an achievement.
In regards to breakfast and checkout times, they are clearly advertised. Although there is little I can do about the time breakfast is served, we may well be looking into extending checkout by another half hour. We always say that, if asked, we may be able to let people have the rooms for longer. I believe you to be a fellow Manchester United fan and were staying the night before the Manchester Derby (which we were all disappointed with!) Unfortunately we could not offer extended time in the bedrooms as we were also full on the Sunday night and the rooms needed to be fully serviced prior to arrival.
I’m sorry you were not entirely satisfied with your stay, but hope that if you did decide to stay with us again we can restore your confidence in our service

Regards

Garvan

Been to Eskdale Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!