“Lovely, friendly small hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Irlam Road, Sale M33 2BH, England   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Sale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Lovely, friendly small hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Just returned from a four night stay here, had been allocated a budget single so I upgraded to an executive double, however I ended up in a very pleasant triple.

The room was clean and the double bed very comfortable and the en suite was spacious and modern being fully tiled with modern fittings.

The food here was very good. An excellent buffet offering of fruits and juices and cereals and a full English which was delicious but beat me every morning, all the food was top quality. I ate in the restaurant on two nights and again the food was very good.

My only issue was with the shower which as in common with a lot of the hotels in older buildings like this lacks any real power, it was a dribble at times and did nt really refresh you. I am sure this is something the owners would love to improve on and overall it was not too much of a problem.

A very warm and friendly hotel with excellent and friendly staff. I would recommend thus hotel without any concerns.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear 213Alan,
We can't thank you enough for your lovely review.
All the best from Basil & Sybil @ Fawlty Showers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Lulea, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Wanted to find a hotel for the Manchester Marathon and stumbled across this one after reading many positive things on Tripadvisor.

As I've written before, you set your expectations after the price you pay. For 65 GPB I expected a decent room to get a good nights sleep, not really much more. What I found was also a hotel that values service and that a friendly gesture goes a long way.

The hotel is close to the Metrolink station, maybe a five minute walk, and easy to find. It is a cozy area and the hotel looked magnificent from the outside. When I entered the hotel it instantly got a good feeling. Family owned, really cozy and they really wanted to make sure that the Marathon runners had a good stay.

The breakfast is usually served later on sundays, but they let us choose from a list of things that was to be ready for us to pick up in the morning. A fantastic gesture!

I have no idea how old the hotel is, but the room felt pretty old. Not worn down or dirty, just a little bit old and the walls are quite thin. When someone used the bathroom upstairs it woke me up caused it seemed like the house was under attack for a couple of seconds :) But I slept well in the bed.

But, as I said, you get what you paid for. The same weekend a supporter club that I travelled with payed 2-3 times that amount of money, and the hotel was way awful in comparison to this one.

When I came back to the hotel to pick up my bag and go to the Leisure Center to take a shower after the Marathon I felt a bit naoseaus. The gentleman in the reception made sure I could use a room for a shower, instead of carry all my bags to the Leisure Center. A very nice gesture!

If I were to run the Manchester Marathon once more, I will definitely make a reservation here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Ortenvik,
That is such a lovely review. It really does make it all worthwhile when someone goes to such trouble! Thank you so much. We loved looking after the marathon runners.
Good look with all your future marathons around the world.
All the best Mike & Joanna
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Just returned from a really great weekend at The Lennox Lea Hotel, and I must say it exceeded my expectations in every respect. We arrived to support our daughter who was running in the Manchester Marathon. The hotel was ideally suited for this, being just five minutes walk from the Sale Metrolink station which whisked us in and out of the city easily. The management and staff could not have done more to make our stay even better. The parking was uncrowded even though the hotel was fully booked. The rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, and the breakfast was absolutely superb.. the hottest breakfast I have been plated anywhere. Well done to everyone who made us feel so special. We will certainly return again, and this will be the only hotel we will ever choose for Manchester and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Use the metro link to commute in and out of Manchester.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Megamoha,
It was lovely meeting you & the family. Great news that your daughter beat her personal best in the marathon! I did a marathon once, couldn't eat all of it though!!
So pleased you enjoyed our breakfasts, they are delicious & very hot.
We look forward to seeing you again next year. Thanks for the time you gave writing your lovely review.
Best regards Nutty Mike
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife, 2 adult sons and I just stayed here. It is in a residential neighborhood in Sale, and is also convenient to Manchester airport--about a 15 minute drive. The Sale train station is a 10 minute walk and from the train you can get to Old Trafford and Manchester City Center with ease. We stayed in the ground floor 2 bedroom unit, which also had a kitchen and dining area. Everyone at the Lennox Lea was friendly and more than happy to provide any help they could. The full English breakfast options were excellent starts to the day. Will try to stay here again when we visit the Manchester area in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Good morning Arizona,
Thank you Donald K or rather should I call you Donald A OK because your review is fantastic!
We love it & we love it that you came back again on the second part of your trip!
Totally awesome dudes! See we can talk American too!
We loved having you stay with us & your boys are a credit to you.
Best regards & look forward to your next trip to the UK.
Mike & Joanna
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My American-based company sent me to Manchester on a two-year assignment. The plan was for me to stay in a hotel for couple of weeks till I find a more permanent place to live. But, unfortunately it didn't work that way and I had to wait for 2.5 months for that to happen. My relocation to the UK was very bumpy and everything at the beginning was going wrong except my stay in Lennox Lea hotel. Mike (owner and manager) and his staff did a wonderful job regarding hosting me here and they are very hospitable. I felt welcome a moment I walked into the hotel and they really took a good care of me during my stay. They were very accommodating as well. When I asked them to move me to a bigger room due to having limited space (I had two cats and two big luggages with me), they did it right away.
The only area for improvement I can see is to provide a better internet service in rooms.
If I want to review this hotel in few words I would say: this hotel and Mike and his staff's hospitality has been the highlight of my trip to
Manchester.
I strongly recommend this place if you're planning to visit Manchester and don't want your stay to cost you a fortune.

• Stayed February 2014
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Nima,
It was so nice to get your review today. As I get out very little (sad Hotelier or what!) I love talking to & looking after my lovely guests. So glad we managed to turn your stay around after your company initially let you down. We are very honoured that you chose to stay with us so long. We will genuinely miss you but wish you all the best on your time left in this great city.
Best regards Mike & the team
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed on night for the football next day. When i got there i expected a nice room as shown in all the photos, and especially after spending £65 for the night (i even had to cancel at another hotel down the road which was £50 a night because i thought this hotel would be better). After entering the room i was shocked - it was very dated, the furniture was all tattered and old and discoloured, the toilet was old and grey too. It was a small room and couldn't really swing a cat but i wasnt looking for a big room anyway, but i expected it to be a little bigger. Even the TV has to rest on the window sill, and the curtains had to be drawn behind it, which didnt look right. Also, the shower was simply installed in the corner of the room, and didnt have a roof! The sink was part of the room too and was an old green dated one, and part of the unit was a set of draws where only one opened. The good thing as is standard in all UK hotels was the tea and coffee and hot chocolate on offer, with a kettle to use.

The night itself was very noisy, with people walking in all night and people slamming doors - it seems it wasnt the respectable hotel i thought it would be. Also, the toilet made an extremely loud noise when it flushed as it had a unit attached to help it flush i think.

The bar looked nice but i didnt get to use it. The next day they let me keep my car there until i got back from the match, which was helpful. Also, only 2 minutes walk away was a parade of shops which included Fish and Chips shops and other restaurants and pubs. There is a restaurant by the canal which looks nice too. The Sale Metrolink is 5 minutes walk and only 3 stops from Old Trafford and only takes 5 minutes to get there.

Overall, i had a good night's sleep apart from being woken at one point due to the noise, but was let down due to them not investing in single rooms which means the solo traveller tends to suffer which i think is unfair. I paid £65 for a night which should give me quality but my room was not worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear BVH123,
I do actually agree with you on this occasion. It would have been nice if you had mentioned it to me as you checked out so I could have done something about it though!
Please accept our very sincere apologies & we would love to invite you back as our guest & at no cost to you & at a time that would suit you best.
Best regards & I guarantee you will have a pleasant outcome next time!
Mike & Joanna
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We have just spent a weekend at this hotel and it was perfect, ideal situation to get to everything, very friendly, lovely and clean beautiful food, full English breakfast was mouth watering, can not fault at all thank you very much
Darren and Jo-anne x

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Joanne S,
You are a legend in your own lunchtime! You are lovely people & that's why it's so easy to look after you!
Hope to see you again.
All the best Mike & Joanna

Been to The Lennox Lea Hotel? Share your experiences!