“A lovely resort at the foot of the mountains!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain

Save Saved
You added Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain to your Saves list
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   220 Gord Canning Drive, Blue Mountains, Ontario L9Y 3Z2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Blue Mountains
GreenLeadersBronze level
Welland, Canada
“A lovely resort at the foot of the mountains!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The suites are modern and well appointed! Comfy bed and spacious bathroom!
Hard working staff and most carry a smile just the same!
Good menu choices and the food are delicious! It is a rather busy establishment so at times difficult to get late check out!
Nice pool and work out area! Enjoy the place very much!

Room Tip: Pick a mountain side room in the winter and a garden side room in the summer for view sake!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TNixon87, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Tsangs53, Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on TripAdvisor. Your positive feedback is much appreciated and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this June. We look forward to your return in the near future! Have a wonderful summer ahead.

Travis Nixon
Sales & Marketing Coordinator

605 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Welland, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Let me start off with the good part of this hotel. The wait staff for our convention are/were AMAZING! Great people, personalities and experience with them.

Bad parts and there is quite a few:

Free parking is in a dog patch of a parking lot. I understand that this is a ski resort and very busy during the winter months. However, the gravel parking lot was is terrible condition, with potholes and mudholes everywhere.

Upon Check-in. Our key cards holder stated "due to high occupancy levels, we are unable to grant a late check out on the day of our departure". We have meetings that go till 12:00pm on our check out day. Which means that morning you have to take your luggage to the free parking lot to put in you vehicle and then walk back to the hotel to complete your days. To top it off, if its raining its going to be worse. (minor complaint) And NO I do not want to pay for valet parking.

So we get to our room and find out it is a queen size bed with a pull out couch. Most places are either 2 doubles or a king. I go down to ask about getting upgraded to a King size bed. I was informed it is a $40 a night upgrade and then quickly after, told there is no extra rooms.

Back up to the room we go. The room seems hot. I check the AC. It is set for 72 and the current temperature is 74. We lower the temperature to 70 and go to dinner. Come back and the room is STILL 74. We ask for maintenance to come take a look. Engineering comes and talks to us. He basically explained the units that are in the room are poorly designed and are not good for these rooms. He assured me there was NOTHING he could do to fix it as it is functioning properly. We sleep through the night hot and uncomfortable for most of the night. We wake up and the temperature shows 71. Which we think is great. However, we attend meetings and come back after 8 hours and the temperature is back up to 74!!

The day is now Friday. As stated in previous posts from people, this hotel seems like a highlight area for people to bring teams and such of their children. While waiting for photo's to be taken in the lobby, kids wander through the front lobby without shirts or shoes on. Staff say absolutely nothing. I would expect this at a $50 a night hotel. However, when you are spending over $200 a night, this should not be happening and if it does happen it should be stopped immediately.

Friday night, kids are running up and down the hallway and talking and yelling at the top of their lungs. I call down to the front desk at approx. 9:45 pm. NO ANSWER.....on hold for approx. 5 minutes. I hang up and try again.....same result 5 minutes wait. I finally get someone on the phone and I explain the front lobby situation and tell them about the running and loudness in the hallway. The front desk girl assures me that she is sending someone up. Approx 20 minutes later......kids yelling up and down the hallway AGAIN. I call down. The front desk tells me a manager is on our floor dealing with it. I am like I am not lying and no one is taking care of it. She assures me a MANAGER is currently on the floor dealing with it. I said I am not satisfied. Upon hanging up, my wife is in the tub and she hears the kids yelling up and down the hallway and she tells me I should video tape them on my phone.

I am VERY dissatisfied with this visit. BOTH nights were uncomfortable and a nightmare. It seems like they do not want repeat customers. I would not recommend this hotel based on all the above events.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestinGM1498, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Kyle W,

Thank you for taking the time to connect with our on-line readers at Tripadvisor. We do appreciate when guests provide their honest feedback for the benefit of our team and our on-line viewers. I take personal pride in responding to as many reviews as possible as we find that two way communication allows us the opportunity to create realistic and accurate expectations relating to what a visit to Blue Mountain and the Westin Trillium House may entail. After reviewing your feedback you most certainly have my personal apology for our failure to live up to your expectations during your recent corporate function. I am however very pleased that the associates in our banquet department were able to impress with their abilities and level of engagement with your fellow attendees. You have taken the time to provide significant detail in your communication and so I will do so in kind.

I have passed along your comments regarding the complimentary surface parking lot to our Grounds Department here at the resort so that they may inspect and remedy the potholes that you speak of. Our grounds crew do in fact expend quite a lot of effort regularly grading that site in an effort to make it safe for our guests. The reality is however that one or two significant rain events (we have seen several in the past week or so) coupled with high traffic volume means that it is a never ending process. To be frank the lot was designated to house overflow day visitors and staff during our busy winter ski season and not as a complimentary option for hotel guests wishing to avoid a parking charge as each one of our lodging properties contain safe and secure underground facilities. While I can understand your perspective and wish not to pay an additional charge for parking (as many of our guests are of the same mindset) we are very clear in our communication that the experience if guests choose to follow this route will not be up to our established Westin Standards. Please understand that for any and all services where there are significant capital or operating costs involved there will inevitably be a charge levied for the use of that service. You would be hard pressed to find any hotel in North America (save for a casino hotel) that does not charge for parking in their underground facility. Airport hotels, mid-scale suburban corporate properties and roadside properties normally do not have pay for use parking however they generally utilize surface lots that require minimal capital outlay and significantly less operating expense. In any event for most charge services that we offer there is a corresponding ability to provide a complimentary option (our WiFi service is a good example of this). These free options will not however provide the same experience or value as those services provided to guests for a fee. The value inherent in our parking charge stems directly from the concerns that you mentioned. For a daily charge of $15 our guests will not have to worry about the effort involved in loading and unloading their vehicles and transporting their luggage to and from the hotel. They will not have to worry about retrieving their vehicle in the stifling heat of the summer, frigid cold of the winter, through mud, wind rain or snow.

In reviewing your account I noticed that your reservation was communicated to our team on May 10th by our primary contact for your event. This event had been in planning for a significant period of time and was sold with the guest room bedding configurations acknowledged. Our hotel is comprised of a mix of Standard Rooms, One Bedroom Suites, Suites with Dens, Two Bedroom Suites and Loft Suites each with their own bedding configuration. These configurations are determined primarily due to the space available and the other amenities present in the suite. All Standard Rooms (such as the room you were assigned by the group) contain one queen bed and a queen sofa bed. Our one bedroom suite inventory (the upgrade that our desk suggested but was unavailable due to volume) is comprised of roughly 50% queen bedded and 50% king bedded suites. Unfortunately due to the volume of business we had in house this past weekend (and most weekends year round) last minute requests for upgrades were impossible accommodate. When made aware of these types of requests in advance we will always attempt to satisfy them however in this instance given the way in which the reservation was made we simply did not know in advance and therefore did not have the ability to remedy your concerns. For those guests who reserve on their own our on-line descriptors and call-centre agents ensure that each guest is fully aware of what is available in the accommodation that they book so as to avoid any disappointment upon arrival.

While I can appreciate that our maintenance associate has his opinions on the design of our HVAC units I can assure you that they do in fact operate in accordance with their design (as well as any other in a lodging or residential condominium would). Unfortunately it was a limitation of our hydronic heating system that impacted the ability of a select few of these heat pumps to operate as efficiently as they were designed to do this past weekend. Our primary HVAC system utilizes chilled or heated water drawn from a central plant. It is designed to operate in three modes – heat only, cooling only and for transitional seasons – heating & cooling. Given the variances that we have seen in temperatures of late we have been unable to change our system over to cooling only. The nature of this system means that this dual mode offers us less efficiency in both heating or cooling and if temperatures peak or fall drastically some individual heat pump units in the suites may not be as effective. For the most part this does not usually cause great discomfort for our guests as they do not really notice a problem however there have been times where a particular suite experiences greater temperature control issues as may have been the case in your suite. Once seasonal temperatures stabilize we are then able to configure our system to run all cooling and any problems tend to dissipate save for regular maintenance issues that may occur from time to time. Regardless of the explanation you were impacted adversely by our system’s failure to create a comfortable temperature in your unit.

I was surprised to hear that your group planned a photo shoot in our lobby on Friday evening. We would most certainly have suggested or offered another location given the volume of traffic that flows through that space on any given weekend evening. I would suspect that weather may have played a role in the choice of location and I would think that our team if made aware of your wishes could have controlled traffic on your behalf. It appears as though they were not intuitive enough at the time to realize that you were being impacted by the flow of persons that quite frankly is matter of course for this space on any given day over weekends or during the summer. Please remember that this is a destination resort hotel and although we most certainly cater to the needs of our corporate guests we also have to consider the needs, wishes and sometimes antics of our leisure traveler. This resort is very popular with families and seasonally, sporting teams who as with you are paying rates starting at $200 per night and up and have expectations of their own. We are hard pressed to control fully the movement of our younger visitors when in fact often times they are simply doing what children of this age group do and who’s parents are fully aware of their movements.

We do undertake efforts when sporting teams are in-house to ensure that any adverse behavior does not significantly impact our other guests who may not appreciate their youthful vigor (read: noise). Not only do we schedule additional associates to conduct regular floor walks in addition to monitoring our public areas we also schedule walkthroughs by our resort security team. In addition to this each team is made aware of our policies and restrictions. Even with these actions we do inherently have times throughout their stay where noise can be a problem. In these situations we respond immediately and if the source of the noise can be determined we will remedy the concern. The reality is however that these incidents of noise can be sporadic in nature and are often caused by different groups which limits our ability to “catch” them in the act whether that be proactively or reactively in response to a call. Our Management Reports from this weekend did indicate your concerns and they were noted as well as the response undertaken by our team. Our Manager on Duty attended your floor several times that evening and in each instance was unable to determine who had made the noise or which suite they were occupying. Our reports indicated that there were few if any noise complaints later in the evening or overnight period on Friday.

At the end of the day we failed to match your expectations during your time spent with us. In response to your concerns I have offered my personal apology and a rather detailed explanation as to why you experienced them and perhaps offered some insight as to what can at times be expected at a resort hotel in Central Ontario. I was also very pleased to have been able to correspond with you personally and that we have found a solution to your concerns. Thank you once again for reaching out and please feel free to do so again should you have any further questions or concerns. We do look forward to a return visit at some point in the future.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel met and exceeded our expectations. The 1 bedroom suite was nicely equipped with the kitchenette (sink, stove, fridge, microwave and dishwasher) for those who prefer to cook for themselves or have small kids who just can’t wait to have their next snack. All dishware and utensils were provided. Definitely a bonus for our family traveling with two small kids. Hotel offers a kids room on the first floor which was clean and well stocked with toys and children books. The swimming pool is outdoor only, water was heated so we went for a swim even with balmy 9 C outside. For the less adventurous or if travelling in the winter, head over to the Plunge Spa with indoor/outdoor pool (extra fee applicable). Plunge Spa is accessible directly from the hotel so no need to bundle up or go outside at all. Westin is located centrally in the village, 5 min walking distance to all attractions. Parking is free outside. They also offer paid underground parking. Overall a great family experience and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stayed on the third floor facing the swimming pool. Great view of the village but slightly more nois...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinGM1498, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear VentureTraveller,

Thank you for providing such a detailed and thorough review of your time spent with us here at the Westin Trillium House. We are very pleased that our facilities exceeded your expectations and that your stay was made that much more comfortable by the conveniences that we offer. We certainly look forward to your next visit.

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times. Everytime we are here we love it more. The grounds and village are gorgeous. Our room was clean , updated and having the little kitchenette was helpful. We were able to bring some drinks and snack foods that we munched on during our trip....saving us some money.

Room Tip: our room was on the arrival side of the hotel , away from the pool. It was quiet at night. Im not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear lorinow,

We are always pleased to hear from one of our regular patrons and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us again. Thank you for taking the time to comment and we look forward to your next visit.

Mississauga, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had a two-night stay at this hotel on May 9-10, 2013. I travelled with my father and two kids (ages 7 and 9) while I attended a Conference in the Village. We have a fabulous stay. We had a two-bedroom suite facing the Village and it was amazing - a king bed and a queen bed, a balcony (we were on the 3rd floor), a full kitchen, two washrooms, 3 tvs - just perfect and super clean! I brought food to cook for the kids and found that the kitchen was fully stocked with everything needed to make a quick meal. We all loved the comfy beds. The rooms were stocked with plenty of soap, shampoo, body wash -- all complimentary.

The front desk staff was very helpful upon check-in and also provided us with umbrellas to use while we walked around the Village on a rainy morning. We made use of the outdoor pool and hot tubs which were well heated even on a cool evening. My kids played in the games room and even visited the Kids Club room which was a bit young for them but they still found some entertainment there. We visited Plunge for a few hours and loved it and the kids played out the outdoor playground just along the boardwalk.

The Manager of this Hotel is on top of everything and makes sure it is run like a 5-Star Hotel. It is clean, elegant, well staffed (even in the slower season) and expertly run. The Manager and Staff at the Hotel try very hard to meet all of the patron requests and give consideration to special circumstances. I would recommend visiting this hotel whenever you get a chance. I am looking forward to return visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mississaugamomof2,

Thank you for your very flattering comments regarding our team here at the Westin Trillium House (I especially am grateful for your wonderful feedback). We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that our service and product offerings made your visit enjoyable. We have a very special team of associates who appreciate sentiment such as yours and the time taken to provide it. We definitely look forward to your next visit.

Peterborough, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

You enjoyed a three day mini break from work in May at this hotel. The front desk staff were wonderful and the room was clean and updated with carpet and new paint. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed a good sleep. The bathroom was a bit tired - some tile issues and dirt around shower stall. We tried using the green option but got a bit confused about how it worked and ended up with no maid service on the second day. Apparently the service depends on where you place the green service sign. Also the parking and internet is extra - that always bugs me to pay extra expecially at a resort that is out of the way - why pay for parking???? and internet?????? Also the resort was pretty empty and they never put on a good special. We love the area but for the price we may just vacation elsewhere.

Dear cybersis007,

Thank you for connecting with our readership regarding your recent visit to Blue Mountain and the Westin Trillium House. We are quite pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us and that in most instances we met with your approval. You definitely have our apologies for the somehwat lackluster housekeeping services you received and I have ensured that our team has remedied the concerns that you have passed along.

I can understand how you may have been confused by our "Make a Green Choice" environmental option given the fact that you have three options to consider while staying. Each suite comes equipped with a hang tag that describes the program in detail. The option chosen by the guest determines what level of daily housekeeping service they will receive as well as the corresponding reward for participation. If the hang tag is left on the outside door handle over night then the guest has opted to forego housekeeping services entirely and is entitled to either a $5 room rate rebate or 500 SPG points in Lieu. If the hang tag is left on the bed each morning then the guest has opted to have only their linens changed with no additional cleaning. Leaving the hang tag in place on the night stand where it normally resides means that the guest has not elected to participate in the program. I do hope that this clarifies the procedures for you and our readers. Our Make a Green Choice program has been very successful and has resulted in significant conservation accomplishments across our chain of properties.

Your comments regarding our charges for WiFi access and parking are not uncommon on this site. The reality is however that services that have a cost associated with their delivery usually have a corresponding charge associated with them. The convenience of being able to log on up to three devices with 10Mbs access rates in the comfort of your suite and that allows access across the entire resort is an exceptional service offering. We of course have a complimentary option for those that only require quick access to check emails and the like. With less bandwidth and restricted access (lobby, restaurant, pool areas only) this limited service does not necessarily meet the needs of all our guests but is still a convenient, no charge option for some. Likewise the safety and convenience of underground parking, protected from the elements and with direct access to the hotel is a service many appreciate. Here too we have a no charge option if preferred, though it requires parking in a surface lot several hundred metres from the hotel entrance that can impact the arrival experience should their be inclement weather or heavy snow pack.

Thank you once again for reaching out to our team and our readers with your commentary. We look forward to seeing you again at some point in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent the long weekend in Collinwood at the Westin Blue Mountain. Their attention to detail is phenomenal, the staff attitudes are positive and the O & B there is the best one in their chain. Michael the waitor at this O&B left our table speechless. He got our order with a few modifications perfectly, he was charismatic and brought us a treat at the end to our surprise! He was part of a perfect stay. Perfect experience at O&B restaurant because of his service.

Valet service comes at a fee of $20.00, but is very prompt. The rooms have Starbucks! They also offer this awesome "pack light, stay fit" feature for $5.00 they give you workout wear for your stay and runners. Amazinggg.

This hotel never disappoints me, I love the beds there also.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, facing the river (the mountain).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinGM1498, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Omorfotigraki,

Absolutely Fantastic! Thank you for providing such detail and enthusiasm in your commentary. We are so very pleased that you enjoyed your special time away with us and that Michael was able to exceed your expectations. Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit with us.

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain

Been to Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain? Share your experiences!