“Actually preferred this to Whistler accommodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Mountains
The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort
You added The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort to your Saves list
156 Jozo Weider Blvd. | The Village at Blue Mountain, Blue Mountains, Ontario L9Y 3Z2, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Blue Mountains
Thornhill, Canada
“Actually preferred this to Whistler accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Pretty average kind of place, overall, but reputedly better than most other Blue Mountain accommodations. Given that it is right next to the ski slopes is a plus, especially for kids. We enjoyed the adjacent village facilities more than we did those in Whistler.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
James H, Vice President of Lodging at The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Zippy22,

That’s quite a statement; we respectfully accept your gracious comments and appreciate the comparison to Whistler. Perhaps we could consider ourselves a mini Whistler, the ski terrain is a “bit” smaller, the Village is a condensed version, maybe that was the appeal. We are delighted you enjoyed the resort and hope you will return.

Yours in Hospitality

Vice President of Lodging

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

First, a picky trivial thing: I know it's tough to make money running a ski hill, and Intrawest has a formula for success. So I appreciate the revenue model is to gouge little extras out of people, but this isn't downtown Toronto. When I am paying a premium to stay at a nice hotel on the slopes, then don't charge me extra to park at the hotel. I know it's only $10 a day, but this got my hackles up, and I therefore chose to park in the regular day-use parking lot. My own stubborness maybe, but I didn't feel very special for staying here.

My wife and I were there for a 2-night stay midweek. I rated this hotel a 4 out of 5, which is pretty good for me. Really nicely designed room, with a gas fireplace and kitchenette. They have done some modernization upgrades, such as a new TV, but the appliances are getting old. The small appliances like the coffee maker in particular needs to be upgraded. The bathrooms are due for an upgrade soon, but overall, we liked the room.

The check-in experience was very confusing. Poor signage for first time guests, but we figured it out eventually. The reception was warm and professional. Our room was on the ground floor with a patio door to the outside. I was a little dismayed when I picked an embedded roach out of the burn mark on the rug near the patio door (skiing and recreational drug use happens). But because of that, I started to notice other little cleanliness things - then I got picky, which is never good. My wife is usually the barometer of cleanliness, and she didn't have a problem, so maybe I got a little too picky.

On my original reservation, I had bundled in a spa day for my wife, which they issue upon check-in, but my wife decided she didn't want to use it. I thought I might have a hard time getting a credit, but I had no problem getting a credit for it on my final bill, and the checkout otherwise went smoothly. It's hard not to have a good time when you're staying at a ski hill, and we had a good time. It is not a five-star experience by any means, but I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
James H, Vice President of Lodging at The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear DennyGOntario,

Thank you for posting this review to Trip Advisor, we appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall.

As you noted in your review, in our winter months we do offer an option to park in our heated underground parking at a cost of $10/night. In determining for options such as underground parking, our approach is to focus on the value that the option provides. In the case of underground parking, we find that many guests appreciate the value derived from being able to park in a heated area that is protected from the elements, conveniently located, and provides a heightened level of security.

We are sorry to hear that you experienced cleanliness issues and assure you this is not the high standard of service we intend to provide and will use your comments in update and training sessions with our cleaning associates.

The confirmation letter that is sent to our guests typically details the check-in location, if staying in one of the 3 Village hotels, Grand Georgian, Seasons at Blue or Weider Lodge, the central check-in is at the Grand Georgian, with access to the other hotels via the underground parking. The Mosaic hotel has a separate check-in desk and separate underground parking.

We are very pleased to hear that the associates present on arrival provided exceptional service and were able to assist you with granting a refund for the spa voucher you had purchased. We are glad to hear you will be returning again in the future.

montrea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

was there for a business meeting that lasted the week. check in was quick and easy. room was charming and clean. had everything u would need for a meeting. internet would cut in and out quite slow and difficult when u need it for work. we needed to walk outdoors to the conference room and it was cold. Only real issue when having a meeting there is that thursdays the kids start arriving so it can get loud at night. they do provide hearing plugs! the biggest complain is on the friday morning at 6 am they felt the need to remove ice from some of the roofs. you woke up to extremely loud banging with someone breaking the ice! that should be done at noon! the shuttle service is practical to get around. we had our gala diner event in their lobby and they decorate it very nicely and make it private. worked really well. would go again! really enjoyed the rooms fireplace.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
James H, Vice President of Lodging at The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Susana I,

We are delighted to hear that even a business trip can be a good experience when it’s here at Blue Mountain Resort. Our guest rooms lend themselves nicely to business or pleasure, we’re glad to hear your work week at Blue was a good one. In the interest of our guest safety, ice and snow removal is performed during periods of low pedestrian and vehicle traffic. We appreciate your perspective and will share your comments with our grounds associates for their consideration. We look forward to having you return in the foreseeable future.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Very good location, close to the mountain.
Right in the middle of the village.
Front desk service was ok.
Very quiet, so the sleep was very good and undisturbed.

Very small place, the bed, was so close to the kitchen, that it was nearly impossible to get to it from one side.
Very dirty dishes.
Very confusing underground parking, with dead ends. I had a hard time getting my car out of those dead ends.
Unjustified prices for the rooms and food.
Would be nice if a wall mounted TV could be moved to face the bed, so that we can watch it while falling a sleep.
We booked the room online; the resort has 3 + hotels, but you don't know which one you are at until you get there. This is a little disappointing, because I was thinking that I'm booking a room at Weider Lodge, but ended up at a different one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James H, Vice President-Lodging at The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear scubalife,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Blue Mountain Resort on Trip Advisor, as always our guests are our best barometer and your feedback assists us to improve. We are sorry to see that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay and apologize for the oversight with ensuring your dishes were properly cleaned. This level of service is not acceptable and will be used as a coaching tool with our cleaning associates.

With respect to underground parking, unfortunately we have determined that many of our guests were not aware that there is a second level of parking available, labeled as P2 and this space has been under-utilized. In an effort to relieve this stress to our guests we will implement a much clearer means of communication in regards to this additional parking space.

With respect to your room and desire to be in a specific building, there are many different room types available and we are happy to accept requests for building locations. This is not to say we can always meet requests, however we make every effort to do so when a preference is noted.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed here the week of NYE and we had a blast! The resort was well taken care of, but it was slightly confusing to figure out where to actually check in at. I also thought the check in time was ridiculous at 4PM, but they were very helpful and got us into our room around 2 so we could change for our snowmobiling. We stayed in a room with a full kitchen and fireplace and we were very happy with the accommodations. The rooms were always cleaned promptly and restocked with everything we started with. They even went so far as to clean our coffee pot for us! I do wish they had been better about informing us about the shuttle system, so that we could have travelled around easier. The most important thing you can do is get the underground parking! It is such a lifesaver, especially when it was -10 degrees outside! It was sometimes difficult to find parking, but there is always parking somewhere and it made going and leaving the resort so much easier! The view from our balcony was fabulous and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear kristenumkc,

Thank you so much for this very flattering review of your recent stay at Blue Mountain Resort and the Grand Georgian hotel. We are thrilled to hear your stay was such a success, from room to activities to the convenient and heated underground parking garage. With a check-out time of 11am we require the hours in between to service rooms for our arrivals and depending on the volume for the day, we often require every minute in between to achieve our goal of a 4pm check-in. On days with lighter volume we are pleased to be able to grant an earlier check-in as was your case.

We look forward to your return and thank you once again for this very nice review.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I thought that I would take my family to Blue Mountain for NYE 2014. I'm the only one interested in the mountain (snowboarding) but I figured that there would be enough to do for everyone else.

First of all, I was annoyed that I couldn't book this trip online. Their reservation system did not function properly for any of my attempts. If that is the case, just don't make it look like you have an online reservation option.

My initial chat with the booking agent on the phone went well enough. She was extremely courteous and friendly. I told her that I was travelling with my wife, 2yo son and our nanny so we required either a suite with 2 rooms, or two individual rooms. I was to be the only lift ticket, but that I would be calling back after confirmation to book spa treatments for my wife and nanny. (The ladies had no trouble booking the treatments that they wanted and had a wonderful time at the onsite spa)

I was not very familiar with the layout of the village and accommodations so she made a number of recommendations that all sounded about the same to me. I chose a moderately expensive 2BR suite, which happened to be at the Grand Georgian. (over $1,700 for 3 nights, including parking under ground, not including wifi) I refuse to pay for wifi if I am paying that much for a room.

I wanted to book an early dinner for NYE, but since I was booking on October 1st, the packages were not yet ready. I was advised that there were to be three formal events: a seated dinner, a ticketed 19+ party, and a family party. (This became annoying later)

I called several times and the packages were not available. Finally, some weeks later, they had details for the events. With the 2yo, I was only interested in the early prix fixe option. (he is too young to appreciate the family event, nor do we appreciate buffets)

When I called and finally was able to get the details about the events, I was then informed that the seated dinner option was only for guests that were staying at a specific building and that, since we were not booked into that building, we were not welcome to buy tickets for that dinner. I was very annoyed but decided to try to make other plans. Unfortunately, by this time, the other in village reservable options were booked solid.

On arrival, the instructions in my confirmation were not clear enough for someone unfamiliar with the resort. After fighting through a jammed parking lot we spotted a sign for check in. It would have been nice to have better instructions about what to expect and where to go.

Check in took forever (20-30 mins). It seemed that they desk staff was under-scheduled and too few employees were there to receive the influx of guests at 4:00pm. Also, the first-come first-served baggage trolleys is like lord of the flies with people hiding trolleys and hoarding them for the arriving members of their groups. The check-in staff were extremely helpful and courteous.

Once checked in, and making two trips to bring up our luggage and supplies, we were pleased with the size and facilities of the room (kitchen, fireplace, 2 washrooms, dining table for 6). It was clean on first inspection, but through our visit we had reason to move the couch, under which had not been cleaned. We found a lighter and some almonds that seemed pretty gross. The decor of the rooms is very bland. I was expecting more personality to the room, but I guess its central raison d'existance is just somewhere to put your head while skiing and visiting the village.

We dined at Firehall Pizza and Sunset Diner, both of which I will review separately. Also, separately I will add great comments about the Plunge Aquatic Centre. The village is cute and has lots of shops to see and experience.

In the end, since my money was not welcome at the formally planned seated dinner, we decided to order delivery from a local restaurant and celebrate in the room, then watch the family fireworks at 9:00pm.

There is no room service offered at the Grand Georgian. This was disappointing.

The entire resort seemed wholly unprepared for the influx of many guests that were up to celebrate NYE. Long lines at the Activity Centre, restaurants, check in, and not to mention the ski lifts.

I actually well avoided the lines for the lifts by choosing night and morning snowboarding and getting away from the Silver Bullet after my first ascent. The conditions were beautiful. Between the phenomenal grooming job they did each night, the snow making, and the natural snow, there were plenty of interesting runs.

The Grand Georgian is the closest that you can stay to be able to wake up, dress, pick up your equipment from the ski valet and be on the lift in mere minutes. I went from bed to my first run in under 10 minutes. You really cannot beat the convenience of this location.

After an hour+ wait in line at the activity centre, we were able to book a family of four Sleigh Ride Experience offsite at Valley Ridge Farm. That experience was a flawless execution of what we expected. We arrived 10 minutes early as we always plan and were greeted immediately. Since we were early we actually got to watch the horses getting hooked up to the sleigh. We were loaded up and the two gentlemen leading the experience set us up with warm blankets and advice about when the wind would be string and when we could see the best scenery. We stopped part way through the ride to hop out and take pictures and formally meet Babe and Molly our horses. My son was thrilled that Max the Austrauian Blue stuck with us the entire ride. Back at the barn, we were given a tour of the facilities so we could see how well cared for the horses really were, as well as see the collection of other cutters and carriages that they had available. They even took us in to meet their chickens!

Our room was not made up on the third day, despite our not being around all morning and lunch. It was fine because we could run the dishwasher and unload it ourselves and we could re-use the towels, but for my over $1,700 investment I don't feel that I should have had to.

One final annoyance: We paid for the privilege of under-ground parking at a rate of $10 per day. The resort oversold the number of available spots under ground so it took forever to find a spot due to searching. The under-ground parking area is a series of dead ends, forcing you to do super tight u-turns or back out of each area. I only actually found a spot for the night under-ground the last night.

Overall, I would not pay this much for this experience. I may revisit to see if more palatable rates are available in non-peak seasons (NYE is likely priced extra high ... Oh yeah, it was also a minimum 3 night stay required)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Khrynisx,

Thank you so much for this very detailed and enlightening synopsis of your holiday visit to the Village at Blue and the Grand Georgian hotel. We are pleased to know you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with other aspects.

As you can see from many other reviews on this lodging property, our guests are generally quite satisfied with their experience, as such we sincerely hope this was an isolated instance and I would like to extend my personal apology for your dissatisfaction.

On sifting through your comments we will begin with the booking process, many of our guests enjoy the on-line booking tool and use it with great success. We are happy to hear you reached out to our highly trained associates in the reservation department and they were able to provide a number of lodging options to suit your particular needs. Settling on a 2 bedroom unit sounds like a logical choice based on your family dynamic and according to your additional comments on arrival, it was the best choice.

We certainly understand your later disappointment and frustration with the New Year dining arrangements, sadly this information was not available when first reserving and proved to be one that could not be rectified after the fact. For the benefit of other readers and for your own future reference, the seated meals, at the Pottery Restaurant, for our New Year celebration are allocated to guests of the Blue Mountain Inn solely. This is because the restaurant is located in the Inn and the Inn rooms are not designed with kitchen facilities, as such guests of this property rely on the restaurant for meals. Your feedback will assist us in refining our communication to guests such as you when booking a holiday in advance and ensuring follow-up from our end when vital details are not yet available and avoid disappointment.

This particular holiday is one that draws some of our highest recorded guest visits and leads to occasional wait times at some service locations. We can assure you that we anticipate the increased volumes and staff accordingly, sadly due to sheer volume at peak hours we experience wait times for certain services and regret that this was your experience.

We sincerely apologize for the oversights by our cleaning associates and can assure you that your comments will be addressed with the team to raise awareness and improve our quality of service. This is not the quality of service we want to deliver and your feedback allows us to make the necessary improvements.

On a positive note, we are delighted to hear that your ski experience was fantastic and thank you for your accolades to our operations crew who work tirelessly to maintain optimum conditions in all manner of weather.

You’re off site excursion sounds just fabulous, I’m sure your eloquent description of the entire experience will promote others to give this venue a try.

Thank you for sharing your underground parking experience with us, we conclude that based on yours and other feedback we will be able to improve our communication to guests and ensure they are made aware of additional parking on the P2 level.

Once again, thank you for this extremely helpful review, perhaps a sideline as a travel correspondent is in your future. We welcome the opportunities you have provided for us to improve, should you have any further comments or suggestions, don’t hesitate to contact me personally.

James Henry,
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was staying in the Mountain Springs with some friends, and we decided to go out in the village for some fun. It was a cold, rainy and snowy evening; so when we were ready to call it a night, we ran to the Grand Georgian to call for a shuttle.
While waiting, an incredibly intoxicated woman came in and grabbed the phone to call for another shuttle. We informed her that one was on its way and we would be happy to share it. She ignored us and continued her call; was extremely rude to whoever was on the other end, and she dropped the phone which fell to the floor, and she ran out of the entrance towards the parking lot.
At this point two of my friends had gone to use the bathroom, while my other friend and I continued to wait. Suddenly a woman from the front desk came out and started screaming at us (thinking we were the other woman who had called). We tried to inform her of what had happened, but she ignored us, ran to the bathroom to yell at our other friends, demanding they show her their key. It appeared that none of us had one because our other friends who left the village before us had taken it. The woman was practically throwing my friends out of the hotel.
During this time the shuttle had arrived, so the two of us were sitting inside the warm vehicle waiting, having a nice chat with the kind driver. Suddenly, the woman came out and began shouting at us some more. She was incredibly rude and demanded we get out of the vehicle. After a few words to each other we of course got out of the shuttle and had to walk back to Mountain Springs in the freezing cold, rainy weather.
This woman is such a disgrace to your hotel as I have stayed their previously and had a wonderful time. I do not understand how someone can talk to other human beings like that and believe it is no big deal; especially when she had absolutely no idea what was going on. I hope you let this woman know that she was certainly in the wrong and should not work in any department where she deals with people. I apologize if any of us said some rude comments to this woman; but of course these were spoken after her own unkind words, and after she had kicked us out of the hotel/shuttle.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
James H, Vice President of Lodging at The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Cate O,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor following a visit to the Village at Blue during a trip to the area and staying offsite. We apologize for any misunderstanding in communications between your group and our front office associate. The details you have provided are quite shocking and contrary to our service culture, as well as out of character for the associate involved. In speaking with our associate it is our understanding that a member of your group acknowledged they were staying at Tyrolean Village, a location we do not service with our shuttle, in all likelihood this admission took place when you were not present. Many of our Village patrons make use of the taxi service to return to their offsite lodging following a night out, which is conveniently located just outside the Village.

Vice President of Lodging

Been to The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!