“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Beamsville, Canada
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We tried C&A Steak Company for a nice dinner out while celebrating our anniversary at Blue Mountain. We were very disappointed in the service, the food, and the experience. I went online to see if I could email the restaurant to advise them, but their website has no tool for feedback or email. I didn't want to call and explain it all, so I didn't bother. For a $300 dinner for two, I probably should have. Here's a summary of our visit:

Service: We walked up to the restaurant and could see three staff members in the front window looking out, waiting for customers. The hostess rushed to assist us, and she was charming and polite. We were seated towards the back of the restaurant, and the ambience was very nice. The waiter that we had greeted us promptly and brought water, and then we waited for his return. He stopped to chat for a while at another table, and then disappeared for a little over 20 minutes later. It was surprising, given that there were only two tables seated. He came back and we put in our order, which he then delivered after another fairly long wait. He did not do any quality checks on us, and when I cut into my steak (a re-fire after a botched first attempt) it was again incorrect, however my partner's dinner was done and when I shrugged at him to indicate that I was not happy, he said "Okay, wonderful!" and quickly exited the table, not to return until the meal was completed.

Food: For appetizers, my spouse ordered the seared scallops, which arrived cold. I had the crab cakes, which were warm but not spectacular. They were alright, but I had been hoping for something really great. For the mains, he had the filet and lobster, cooked medium rare for the steak. His came and was fine, though their mashed potatoes were quite bland. I was expecting more of a garlic mashed, and these are just straight old fashioned potatoes. My main was the filet, medium rare. The first plate that came was well-done, so the waiter returned it. The second plate that came was rare, bordering on blue as it was not warm in the middle. He asked me to cut into it, and when I did, I looked up at him sadly, then over at my spouse who said "that's not medium rare..." The waiter asked me if I would eat it and I shrugged and said "um, I suppose I can" and then he very quickly exited the area and didn't return for almost a half hour. I wish he had done a check. After a couple of bites I stopped eating and waited, but when it became obvious he wasn't coming back to offer a second re-fire, I finished as much as I could. He seemed surprised when we turned down dessert, but we were totally unimpressed.

The restaurant does have a very nice atmosphere, but if you're looking for a special night to celebrate, please consider going somewhere else. This restaurant was a disappointment. The next night we did visit the greek restaurant in the village, and I have to say that was delicious, so you may want to consider trying there instead.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“OK food..great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our waitress was excellent but the food was average. The steak could use more flavor but was cooked perfectly. The brussel sprouts were also very good. The price is a bit high but average for the village. Good if you do not want to drive into Collingwood.

Visited August 2013
Barrie, Canada
“Very, very expensive - food above average. Service good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

So - we ended up going to this restaurant because all of the other restaurants were totally full but this one was almost empty (should have been a warning sign LOL). When we got to it and looked at the menu it was VERY limited and VERY expensive. I ordered the filet and my girlfriend ordered the Fish of the day. Service was actually ok and it didn't take very long. Food was above average. We ate outside on the patio area - as we watched over 30 people (maybe even more) walk up to the front and check-out the menu... every single person left without coming in. Watching the faces of the people was hilarious. "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THE PRICES" was the common theme. If this place just lowered the prices 20% I think they would have a lot more business. For 2 people - including 1 app, 2 entrees and 2 drinks (no wine) it was around $160 w/ tip. Ouch!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“The Fish Dish Did Not Meet My Wish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

They ran out of Chilean sea bass so I had the blackened snapper. Blackened it was all right, not from spices but from being burnt to a crisp. You have to really summon your full imagination to convince yourself that that piece of darkened soot really started off as fish.

Worst fish I have ever had in my entire life.

The dish was accompanied by a generous helping of crispy onion "fries" not too bad, but then anything might have not been bad set against two pieces of charred fish.

Not cheap either.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Walked out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We waited more than a half hour - for lunch! - before being told that there wasn't enough food for what two of us had ordered... so would we mind splitting and having smaller portions? And what the others had ordered wasn't even started. We'd heard enough and left. One of my worst restaurant experiences, ever.

• Visited June 2013