“Awesome Views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alma de Ojochal

Save Saved
You added Alma de Ojochal to your Saves list
Alma de Ojochal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Perezoso | 800 mtrs este de Costanera, Ojochal 60501, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
20% off, limited time
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ojochal
Surrey, Canada
“Awesome Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed here 1 night on our way to the Osa Peninsula. It had a beautiful view from the room and the pool area. There are views to both the ocean and the valleys at the rear. Celine is a very nice host. We stayed in Room#3 which is close to the pool. The room has a queen bed and a few nice furnishings.The area we enjoyed the most was the large patio which at night has sheers that close off the patio to the night insects.The patio has a fridge,counter,lights,ceiling fan,hotplate,sink etc. We ate dinner down the road in Ojochal at the restaurant Citrus. It was excellent food and reasonably priced. Celine was very helpful in directing us to the beautiful beaches in the area. We enjoyed it so much we left Osa a day early and stayed here again. Road was a little steep but no real problem.The breakfast was outstanding.

Room Tip: Room 1 or 3 seemed to be the nicest locations.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at El Buena Vista for the last few days of our trip this February (just returned). We paid about $80 a night. We had stayed the first week at the Cristal Ballena for about $70+ a night. We believe El Buena Vista is a better deal. The place is lovely, convenient to all the Ojochal restaurants, with the amazing view you expect from the name, and it has lots of personality / charm. Many thoughtful details have gone into the creation of this B & B. The pool is small but jewel like with a nice view of the ocean. The spotlessly clean small rooms with great breezes each have a large balcony with a small kitchenette on them that overlook the best view (better than from the pool or breakfast area) of Playa Tortuga. They've hung mosquito netting curtains on the porch so you can shield out the bugs at night. The rooms are simple but nicely decorated. Celine, Olivier, Leo, and Blanca are great and friendly hosts.

You definitely need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get up the road. It's a steep dirt road that takes you up high on the mountain side for that amazing view. El Buena Vista does not have AC but does not need it.

If you have time, eat at their French brasserie, El Fuego. They are billing it as a steak house but it's better than that. The prices are good and the charcuterie plate was amazing!

Room Tip: No bad ones
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband & I stayed two nights at Buena Vista. The name definitely lives up to itself. Celine is very welcoming and will make your stay very welcoming. Blanca (the yellow lab) will be there to greet you. The rooms are clean & comfortable. We stayed two different nights and were in two different rooms - both had balcony views of the ocean - sunsets are spectacular. Views are amazing any time during the day. Mountain views on one side - ocean on the other. We will definitely be staying at El Buena Vista again! The pool was clean and very inviting. El Buena Vista is close to many great restaurants.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

This was my second trip to Ojochal with the first one being seven years ago. The place has changed mostly in the amount of new lodging and restaurant choices. On this trip I used TA reviews to choose El Buena Vista Hotel. I was impressed how it over delivered on my expectations. The sea view from room #1 was great, and I think the other rooms are probably just as good. The room was very clean and comfortable. Other than the sounds of wildlife it was very quiet. I could hear the ocean waves from the not to distant beach, and occaisionally a barely audible tractor trailer on the highway below. All in all it was very peaceful. The managers, Celine and Oliver were very accomdating. They provided round trip transportion for my flights at the Palmar Sur airport, and Oliver gave me a ride to my Saturday meeting at no charge. I was impressed as it was a twenty minute trip for him. The pool, although not big was very nice. The breakfast was quite good even though in was not a huge spread. It was mostly fruit, breads, juice, coffee, and eggs. The rooms have a small fridge and kitchenette if you want to bring your own food.
At first I thought it might get hot without A/C in the room, but it was very comfortable. I brought my little alarm clock/thermometer, and the high temp in the room was 85 during the day, and a low of 78 at night. The ceiling fan and the open windows kept it just cool enough to want to be under the covers.
Their restaurant El Fuego is definately worth a try. I wrote a separate review on it.
Next time I go to Ojochal I am staying here.

Room Tip: I'd choose #1 or #3 as they are on the end. All rooms have good views, but #1, #2, and #3 are p...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We expend 3 nights during Easter week with my husband, my son and my father and we loved it. It is a very relaxing place, the gardens are beautiful, great view and excellent service. The managers also have a very good restaurant, Fuego, nice live music, and very good food.
We will recommend this place to our friends and family

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

What to say about the Buena Vista, only good things, situated on top of a hill, surrounded by the mountains on one side and the magical sea view on the other. I was there at the end of December with my husband and 2 kids, the warm welcome we received form the host was overwhelming. They went out of their way to make our stay one of the best by helping us to visit the best beaches and best boat tour. If ever in Ojochal, i would highly recommend El Buena Vista and 2 min walk from the hotel you can lunch or dine in El Fuego, which was handy for us, after a long day full of activities, didn't fancy going far with the kids. The food is amazing and Olivier will accomodate your dish to your liking. All in all we had a great holiday and will definately return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

It was my first trip to Costa Rica! I really enjoyed the warm welcome from Celine, the manager. She was so helpful to guide me from this part of the world.
The hotel El Buena Vista is located on top of a hill. The breeze is so refreshing.The view of the ocean on one side is breathtaking. You are surrounded by flowers and tropical trees. It's a paradise for all kind of birds and if you are lucky, you will meet the monkeys!
Celine then introduced me to her husband Olivier who owns the restaurant, El Fuego, located next to the hotel. It's very convienient! I had a good time there. The food is excellent and they had a latine band on a saturday night. It was great! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautifull ocean view!
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Alma de Ojochal? Share your experiences!