My wife, my 13 years old daughter, my 8 years old boy and myself, spent 2 nights in Family Room Panorama number 95, from Friday 01.11.2013 to Sunday 03.11.2013. We visited for the 2nd time this hotel, in order to spend a relaxing holiday with our kids, unfortunately, it was all opposite : it became a NIGHTMARE holiday !!!
First bad experience happened immediately after that we checked-in into our room, where we got a double full electricity shut down !!! Meaning that twice, all electricity went down, no more lights and as it was already night, we had to use our Iphone to find our way inside the room. We called reception for assistance and 2 men came to repare the problem. But when they were leaving, again full electricity shut down, this happened only in our room 95...
Then, on the next day, we wanted to use the heated pool and its facilities, as it is said on hotel internet site "...massage nozzles and a waterfall complement the experience." which were BOTH OUT OF ORDER...
We knew from our last stay that it was possible to drink water mixed with fresh lemon at the SPA reception. However, the bottle was empty, so I kindly asked to one of the SPA staff if it was possible to get some more, but the answer was NO and we never got anymore, even after our request, what for a service is this ???
The worst which happened, is that there was a light inside the pool which was not working. This light was protected by a glass, which was actually broken !!! Nobody from the the SPA staff, from the maintenance or cleaning team noticed it and it lead to major accidents...
First one, being my daughter, who came out of the pool, with a bleeding finger, complaining that she just cut herself inside the pool, not being exactly sure from were it happened. So, I took care of her, it was a deep cut on a finger of her left hand. I went into the pool to see how it could have happened, with swimming googles, then I saw a hole on the glass protecting the "out of service" lamp inside the pool. I touched it with care and realized that it was very sharp and of course dangerous !!! So, I informed the SPA staff that there was a broken glass inside the pool, that my daughter just cut herself deeply and that they should take immediate actions in order that nobody else would get hurt again.
Unfortunately, no long after this first accident, my son came out of the pool, while I just came out of the shower. He was crying a lot, bleeding from his left foot and telling us that he just cut himself inside the pool !!! I could not believe it... My second kid cut himself also inside this pool ! It was a long and large cut, with half of the skin being cut because of the same broken glass. It was looking so bad, that I asked for assistance to the SPA staff, asking for a doctor (which it seems could not come to the hotel...), then for emergency kit, in order to take care of the wound with desinfection and protection. Finally, looking at the wound, it was clear that a medical treatment had to be done. So, we had to go, with our own car, to Zweisimmen Hospital (15 km), where I presented my two kids for medical treatment. My daughter was suffering because the cleaning and check of possible broken glass inside her wound was made without anesthesia. But for my son, it was even worst ! He was suffering so much, that the surgeon in charge offered him to receive a double local anesthesia by injection, which he accepted. But the pain he had to support while receiving two injections inside his foot, his shoutings, his tears falling down due to the pain, made me think about torture treatment... Why my two kids had to support such pain and scarfs, when they just wanted to enjoy a relaxing holiday. Who was responsible of those accidents ?
Well, we found out later, that the hotel responsibility WAS FULLY ENGAGED !!! We spent the rest of our stay, with 2 broken kids, unable to walk, swim, run or enjoy their stay. I had to carry on my son on every moving, due to his left feet having to rest fully. Our holidays were from that moment TOTALLY SPOILED...
We of course informed the Management of the Hotel (Mr Andrea SPRENGER-VON SIEBENTHAL) and asked for his third party liability insurance in order to be covered for all the costs resulting from those accidents, for which hotel responsibility was engaged. Upon check-out, we were asked to pay FULLY AND TOTALLY our final bill, which was of CHF. 735,40 !!! NEITHER A FINANCIAL COMPENSATION NOR A COMMERCIAL GESTURE OF SYMPHATY was offered from the Management or from the reception !!! We were deeply surprised and even schocked by so few empathy towards clients who just got both kids wounded and had their holidays totally spolied due to hotel negligence, what is it for an attitude ?
It's now more than two months that it happened and the insurance of the hotel, even if they admitted that the responsability of the hotel was engaged, is trying its best not to pay us back any compensation for the loss of our holidays. Until now, they just accepted to pay the cost for the transfer to the hospital and back, it's a real joke !
However, our juridical protection insurance is now taking part to the process and I can tell you that we will go up to the Federal Court if needful, in order to make Hotel Management assume their responsability and not run away from them, telling us that all is in hand of their insurance. If insurance will not pay back, Hotel Management must pay and assume fully its responsibility !
So, to resume our DRAMATIC STAY inside Golfhotel Les Hauts de Gstaad, let's say that :
Positive points :
1) Parking free of charge.
2) Food delivered inside our room due to late check-in.
Negative and TO BE IMPROVED points :
1) Management rejecting attitude toward their clients, when hotel responsibility is fully engaged in case of accidents.
2) Double electricity shut down upon entering our room number 95.
3) Damaged broken glass and out of order lamp inside the pool of the SPA, leading to my 2 kids being deeply cut, one to his finger and one to her feet, with scarf for their lives now, needing to go to hospital for surgical actions !!!
4) Massage nozzles and waterfall not working at the pool...
5) At the SPA bar, no more water with lemon to drink even after request. The bottle was found empty and not refilled at all...
6) After the first accident, SPA staff were duly informed about a broken glass inside the pool and about potential risks, but nothing changed and nothing was done until my son cut himself on his foot... It seems they even lied telling at the reception that they informed us about the broken glass, which was opposite, WE inform them !!!
So, to resume easily our experience : we will NEVER EVER come back to Golfhotel Les Hauts de Gstaad as Management attitude was and is still just not acceptable. Totally careless about our kids pain, they don't want to pay us back anything or to give any compensation, it seems they don't care much neither for their clients nor for their reputation, only your money is interesting them. My advice is : avoid this hotel and protect yourself against such careless in maintenance hotel, as you can seriously get hurt there.
I will soon post some photos of my kids after accidents, hopefully it will be accepted by tripadvisor, if not never mind, then read the incoming review of my wife who will also explain what happened and how she feels about this hotel. You will clearly understand who is right and who is wrong.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.