Recently stayed in a Mountain View room for a few nights. Lamington National Park is an absolutely beautiful place to spend some time. The benefit of staying at O'Reilly's is that it offers very easy access to many walks of different grades and lengths as well as options to relax overlooking some magnificent views of the mountains.
However, I would strongly question the value for money offered. While the room we stayed in was very clean and comfortable and had a lovely mountain view, it was steep at $295 per night. If O'Reilly's didn't have a captive audience (there is really nowhere else to stay up there), they would be hard pressed getting people to pay more than $150 per night for the standard of room.
Moreover, the food is well below average for the price paid (and would still be well below average if it cost a lot less!) There are really no healthy options on the menu (pretty much everything is fried or stuffed or very fatty) and while they claim to respond to dietary requests, I was unable to convince them to grill rather than batter some fish. In terms of cost, I paid $26 for a small pizza consisting of one very doughy base, a few pieces of pumpkin, a smattering of feta and a handful of rocket - to say 'overpriced' is an understatement! I could go on about the appalling standard of food, but I've probably said enough.
Finally, and most importantly, I was very disappointed with the amount of bird feeding that goes on at O'Reilly's. I thought the hand feeding of rosellas outside the lodge was questionable enough, but then I went on a morning bird walk tour and discovered the guides feed the birds on the rainforest track as well! Not only that, they then proceeded to give every participant on the tour some feed to attract the birds - I was absolutely shocked given every national park I've visited in Australia (and many other countries) strongly advises against feeding wildlife. O'Reilly's has a significant responsibility to teach people (including all the children who visit) about conservation and the protection of natural ecosystems, but it was not clear to me they take this responsibility seriously at all. Even if they claim this behaviour is not really impacting the environment in a major way, I just can't help but feel it goes against basic common sense and good practice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in World Heritage Lamington National Park, Gold Coast Hinterland, O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa is the perfect nature escape. Discover a world of lush rainforest, extensive network of bushwalking trails, stunning waterfalls and abundance of unique Australian bird and wildlife. Choose from the traditional charm of O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat or the private luxury of the Mountain Villas. For true rejuvenation, O’Reilly’s Lost World Spa offers therapeutic treatments and unique vinotherapy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o`Reilly`s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Hotel Canungra
- O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Spa Australia/Canungra, Queensland