“What a wonderful wee find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eilean a Cheo Guest house

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ardelve
Eilean a Cheo Guest house
Ardelve IV40 8DY, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Ardelve B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful wee find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have stayed here twice in the past two months. It was so comfortable with a full and hearty breakfast to greet you in the morning, setting you up for your next adventure. The couple could not have been more attentive and informative to any request regarding the area. The bedrooms are not the largest but considering you have the lovely sitting room looking over the Loch, I would give the size up for the comfort any day. Sitting eating a delicious breakfast with the view of the Loch and the mountains, can't wait to go back up there.

Room Tip: We had the rooms at the back, not a lot of room but so comfortable. if you want a view over the loch...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

After finding out we had been double booked in our first choice Guest house me and my husband were shipped to this fantastic little place. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner and shown to our room. The room seemed small however that was due to the size of the bed, I was told that it was a super king sized bed and I thought it was super comfy and we enjoyed a quiet night in. In the morning we woke at 8 o'clock got ready and headed for breakfast, I had the continental breakfast and my husband had the full Scottish breakfast, we enjoyed it thoroughly and checked out at nine o'clock and continued on our travels. All in all this is a fantastic quiet we guest house that would be great for basing yourself in for day trips to Skye or across to Applecross. The rooms were spotless and comfortable, the towels on the beds were even folded into animal shapes made by the owners young daughter which I thought was brilliant. Lovely breakfast in the morning and great friendly service! Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Staye here with my husband we booked the top room 1 which is a big room with views across the loch and eilean donan castle we almost slept through the next morning due to the comfort of the enormous bed and fresh linen.The room has everything to offer with a wonderful clean bathroom with cvorner bath and shower.Breakfast the next morning was delightful the full Highland sets you up for the day along with gallons of fresh ground coffee the continental style breakfast really is a meal with croissant scone oatcake toast cheese ham and a boiled egg cooked to perfectiom almost reminded me of my childhood.Mary the owner could not do enough for us booking restaurants enquiring about boat trips a bit like having a concierge in a b and b.Excellent value for money we will be back again for another weekend.Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at this B&B for two nights last week. It's in a great position, being a stroll over the bridge into Dornie for evening meals. The landlady was very efficient and kept asking if we needed anything. There is wifi, which was the reason I booked.

The bedroom was small, but I've been in small bedrooms. But just as well we were traveling light and only had one small suitcase. There was no room to put two!

The bed had been a 'king size' split into two twin beds. They were very narrow, but comfortable enough. The ensuite was small, possibly the smallest I've ever been in. We were lucky that it wasn't busy, because I know it would have been noisy. Folk walking up the stairs sounded like they were about to fall on top of us. But I've been in noisy hotels too.

So I would say the accommodation is adequate, although pricey for what you get. At least we had a view, which the back rooms didn't have.

But the thing we were most disappointed in was the breakfast. I know it's clearly written on the website (which we hadn't read), but I don't know how a 'master chef' could come up with such a unbalanced meal. A (homemade) scone, a (homemade) croissant, two halves of a piece of toast, and a small poached egg!

There being rather a lot of carbs on the plate, we kept the croissant and scone for our picnic morning tea later, which left a breakfast of two small pieces of toast, and a small poached egg.

We had already been served our choice of muesli or cornflakes and juice. We were not offered more toast on the first morning, but we were on the second morning. We were not offered fresh fruit either morning, but I heard another guest being offered some on the second morning. There was a bowl of fruit on the dresser, but evidently not for helping yourself from.

The landlady will probably reply to this and say that she asked each time if we needed anything else. But really, that's not what she should ask. I would like to be asked if I'd like more toast. No - just bring it! I'd like to be told to help myself to fruit, and would I like to be asked if I'd like one egg or two. The eggs were the smallest possible. We did notice a farm up the road selling fresh eggs, so we had hoped they would be used. They weren't.

The bacon in the cooked breakfast was nice. The 'sausage' was not a sausage, but lorne sausage. This should be stated. It was overdone, dry and not nice.

They could really make this a place you'd want to return to, by reviewing their breakfast menu. If they were more generous with breakfast and offered more of everything (an offer rarely taken up, but very much appreciated) then this would go a long way to negating the small rooms, which can't be helped, because the position couldn't be better!

Room Tip: The rooms to the front have a bit of a view. Have a look at the accommodation before checking in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Chris E, Quality Verification Agent at Eilean a Cheo Guest house, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Eilean A Cheo, in addition to taking the greatest possible care of all guests, provides additional quality assurance resources to ensure that guest satisfaction is very high and is also verifiable. As the Proof of Quality accreditation provider, we reached out to this reviewer and have had constructive dialogue.. We have thanked her for verifying her stay, for discussing her concerns regarding breakfast and for revising upwards her original rating. Whilst the concerns raised, particularly about breakfast are not reflected in the opinions of the great majority of the guests, the owners will continue to ensure that each and every guest is looked after individually and has a wonderful time at Eilean A Cheo.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

i stayed at this b&b in april on my way to skye on a business trip & had such an enjoyable nights sleep & lovely breakfast that i stayed here again on my way back to glasgow two days later.
ray & mary were very welcoming & couldnt do enough for me, nothing seemed a problem.
breakfast was very nice & plenty of it.
ardelve is such a lovely little village/ hamlet, & so quiet, i nearly slept in& lucky i set my alarm clock for the morning, next time i stay i'll ask ray & mary for a wake up call (: (:.
hat off to these two as they went out there way to make me welcome, next time i come up i might even bring my wife & stay for a couple of days at eilean a cheo.
thanks again you two ,
keep up the good work.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I've only stayed for a night...but if i come back to scotland i'll return here for sure.
Very clean with a wonderful taste. Everything, from the accomodations to the breakfast with a tasteful touch.
Marie was very nice and the bedroom absolutely lovely. The importance given tp the details (the towels above the bed) shows that people :).
Thank you!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My son and I took this brief trip to the highlands to see some of the sights and were very pleased with the two nights we spent at Eilean a Cheo. Mary our host was very pleasant and helpful. Our room was a bit small but clean and well presented with modern furnishings and all facilities. The breakfasts were great ,cooked to a high standard with local produce. We had views of Eilean Donan Castle from our room and even the weather stayed dry ! All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: A comfortable bed, a good powerful shower, a well cooked generous breakfast and a happy smiling host...
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Eilean a Cheo Guest house? Share your experiences!